2014 Memorial Cup Location

jughead42*

You didn't expect Branch to say.."here's your sanctions..but don't bother bidding on the Memorial Cup" did you? C'mon...it isn't rocket science. Windsor getting the Memorial Cup in 2014 would be a Gong Show of negative media attention for the OHL...sorry to be so cut throat.

Yes, if part of their punishment is being removed from cup hosting consideration then I would expect Branch to say as much. If the purpose of punishment is to act as a deterrent then I would think it's essential the full punishment be disclosed.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
So Branch, the guy behind awarding the bids says the sanctions have zero impact on any future cup bids, but you think it will still be a factor? I don't see how that is possible. If Branch were so worried about the optics of a sanctioned team being awarded the hosting gig, then why did he publicly say it wouldn't matter? The optics are already proven to be irrelevant, don't you think?

When did you start trusting David Branch? :badidea: :nod:

The optics of inviting a team to bid when it won't be considered is probably worse anyway. The only people who care about what Windsor did are people on message boards with axes to grind, the rest of the world has obviously moved on.

Do I think the Spits got off easy? Yes. Have I moved on? Yes. I'm just saying that regardless of what he says publicly, I'd be surprised if Branch awards the Memorial Cup to them given the recent history. He doesn't have to "say" it's part of the punishment. Their getting the Cup wasn't a forgone conclusion - how could he be sure they would even bid? Hell, they'll be tooth and nail to make the playoffs this year and if they don't, they should just save themselves the time and effort of a submission...

Here's the beauty from my perspective. I expect the Colts will have a reasonable chance to be there on merit, and I'm planning on attending next year, so:

a) If Barrie wins the bid, I have places to stay.
b) If Windsor wins the bid, I have places to stay.

Kingston is out, so that only leaves London that will cost me a hotel room. :)

H44

Aug 31, 2011
:handclap::handclap:
When did you start trusting David Branch? :badidea: :nod:

Do I think the Spits got off easy? Yes. Have I moved on? Yes. I'm just saying that regardless of what he says publicly, I'd be surprised if Branch awards the Memorial Cup to them given the recent history. He doesn't have to "say" it's part of the punishment. Their getting the Cup wasn't a forgone conclusion - how could he be sure they would even bid? Hell, they'll be tooth and nail to make the playoffs this year and if they don't, they should just save themselves the time and effort of a submission...

Here's the beauty from my perspective. I expect the Colts will have a reasonable chance to be there on merit, and I'm planning on attending next year, so:

a) If Barrie wins the bid, I have places to stay.
b) If Windsor wins the bid, I have places to stay.

Kingston is out, so that only leaves London that will cost me a hotel room. :)

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Welp, London has to be out now - they harass women and their young teen daughters for the lolz. Or maybe they made their bid stronger because if London hosted the Mem Cup they wouldn't have to stay in hotels, but with their billet families.

Tricky Knights.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/20...barrie-colts-2014-memorial-cup-bid-successful Good news for the Colts, but still no mention of expanding the seating capacity. I know its the Barrie Examiner, but you'd think they would have mentioned something about seating if the Colts had any intent of expanding the BMC.

If you go back in previous articles you'll see that the proposed upgrades were to include 800 seats. I find it curious that they keep quoting a single resident...obviously she can't have that much weight at council. I don't understand why they keep quoting her.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Kanuck do you think Barrie will have the type of roster to win a Memorial Cup bid. Looking at the roster you will lose Schiefele, Niederberger, Camara, O'Connor, Byers, possibly Theoret a ppg could find himself a spot in the AHL. Hall and Athanasiou is fine but there doesn't seem much to back those guys up. I do like Fotinos in net but there might be a slight step back in net.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Kanuck do you think Barrie will have the type of roster to win a Memorial Cup bid. Looking at the roster you will lose Schiefele, Niederberger, Camara, O'Connor, Byers, possibly Theoret a ppg could find himself a spot in the AHL. Hall and Athanasiou is fine but there doesn't seem much to back those guys up. I do like Fotinos in net but there might be a slight step back in net.

I haven't been able to watch this season as much as in past years, but I can tell you that next year was the year they were gearing up for. They are winning now without Scheifele and everybody else gets a year older. Top end talent should be there but depth may be the issue...

Forward: As you say Hall and Athanasiou are expected back and I think they are depending on Theoret returning (they were likely hoping for Camara as well, but his superb season has probably written that off). Regardless, that's a reasonable top line. From all accounts McDonald and Bradford have continued to progress nicely this year and look to be very productive with increased ice next year.

Defence: Ekblad will likely be one of the best defencemen in the league next year. Last season he was playing 30+ minutes a night in the playoffs and didn't look out of place at all. With Lepkowski's injuries he is probably back next year. That's a pretty solid top pairing. They'll need some growth out of Garcia, Yuill, Dotchkin etc. or they'll need to deal youth for experience.

Goal: I actually think Fotinos will be an upgrade over Niederberger. I think he outplayed him last year when he was filling in for injury as a 17 year old. He probably thinks he should be a starter now. I don't think that will be an issue.

The summer will tell the tale. They will have two free import spots (expect them to move up) plus likely 2 (assuming Camara doesn't return) OA spots and they have some extra 3rd rounders to deal. Feels alot like the 2010 team when they added the likes of Burmistrov, Cameron and Pither for a total of an extra goalie and some picks in the summer time.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I haven't been able to watch this season as much as in past years, but I can tell you that next year was the year they were gearing up for. They are winning now without Scheifele and everybody else gets a year older. Top end talent should be there but depth may be the issue...

Forward: As you say Hall and Athanasiou are expected back and I think they are depending on Theoret returning (they were likely hoping for Camara as well, but his superb season has probably written that off). Regardless, that's a reasonable top line. From all accounts McDonald and Bradford have continued to progress nicely this year and look to be very productive with increased ice next year.

Defence: Ekblad will likely be one of the best defencemen in the league next year. Last season he was playing 30+ minutes a night in the playoffs and didn't look out of place at all. With Lepkowski's injuries he is probably back next year. That's a pretty solid top pairing. They'll need some growth out of Garcia, Yuill, Dotchkin etc. or they'll need to deal youth for experience.

Goal: I actually think Fotinos will be an upgrade over Niederberger. I think he outplayed him last year when he was filling in for injury as a 17 year old. He probably thinks he should be a starter now. I don't think that will be an issue.

The summer will tell the tale. They will have two free import spots (expect them to move up) plus likely 2 (assuming Camara doesn't return) OA spots and they have some extra 3rd rounders to deal. Feels alot like the 2010 team when they added the likes of Burmistrov, Cameron and Pither for a total of an extra goalie and some picks in the summer time.

I think the Sabres would like to get him in the system. They really lack defensive toughness. Only their backlog in Buffalo and Rochester would likely keep him in Barrie. If that clears (i.e. if they finally move some Dmen), he won't be back.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Who are the teams bidding?

The deadline for submitting a bid was yesterday and the only names I've heard that have actually said they are bidding are Windsor and London. These aren't going to be the only two, right?

So does anyone know which teams actually did put in a bid?

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
The deadline for submitting a bid was yesterday and the only names I've heard that have actually said they are bidding are Windsor and London. These aren't going to be the only two, right?

So does anyone know which teams actually did put in a bid?

Barrie, Guelph, London and Windsor all submitted their letters of intent.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I think the Sabres would like to get him in the system. They really lack defensive toughness. Only their backlog in Buffalo and Rochester would likely keep him in Barrie. If that clears (i.e. if they finally move some Dmen), he won't be back.

You may be right, but I believe that would be a mistake on the Sabres part. Alex has yet to make it through an OHL season due to fairly significant injuries every year. Most were due to physical aspects of the game. If I were them I'd want to see him get through an OHL season - right now history suggests there is no reason to believe he would be able to play a full AHL season.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
You may be right, but I believe that would be a mistake on the Sabres part. Alex has yet to make it through an OHL season due to fairly significant injuries every year. Most were due to physical aspects of the game. If I were them I'd want to see him get through an OHL season - right now history suggests there is no reason to believe he would be able to play a full AHL season.

The Sabres don't usually go the overager route. They still need to sign him (I believe they will have until June). I think they will, but you never know (I thought they would sign Shipley). IMO, if he is signed they will put him in the AHL. And if he can't handle that they will send him to the ECHL. They did the same thing with Matt MacKenzie, from the Calgary Hitmen. Similar credentials.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
The Sabres don't usually go the overager route. They still need to sign him (I believe they will have until June). I think they will, but you never know (I thought they would sign Shipley). IMO, if he is signed they will put him in the AHL. And if he can't handle that they will send him to the ECHL. They did the same thing with Matt MacKenzie, from the Calgary Hitmen. Similar credentials.

I think the WHL is a tougher league than the OHL (more talent in the OHL, but the WHL seems to be more rough and tumble). I'd be less worried about a guy making it through a WHL season due to injuries than an OHL one. Lepkowski was knocked cold against a first timer in a fight, knocked out by a hit, and missed games for countless other reasons. They haven't been freak Galchenyuk type injuries, they've been as a result of common hockey events.

Like you say, the Sabres may send him to either of those destinations, it's just not very smart IMO. If he can't stay healthy in 68 games in the OHL, why they would think he could stay healthy for 76 in the AHL against grizzled veterans with 10 years on him is beyond me. The ECHL would be even worse. It's not about talent in his case, it's about demonstrating that he is physically strong enough to make that jump.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
no Kingston eh, may not be their year next year but with such a young team it would have been good to at least mention some interest in hosting the memmer.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I think the WHL is a tougher league than the OHL (more talent in the OHL, but the WHL seems to be more rough and tumble). I'd be less worried about a guy making it through a WHL season due to injuries than an OHL one. Lepkowski was knocked cold against a first timer in a fight, knocked out by a hit, and missed games for countless other reasons. They haven't been freak Galchenyuk type injuries, they've been as a result of common hockey events.

Like you say, the Sabres may send him to either of those destinations, it's just not very smart IMO. If he can't stay healthy in 68 games in the OHL, why they would think he could stay healthy for 76 in the AHL against grizzled veterans with 10 years on him is beyond me. The ECHL would be even worse. It's not about talent in his case, it's about demonstrating that he is physically strong enough to make that jump.

I understand your points, but I'm quite positive the Sabres won't sign him to play as an overager. They like to get their players into their system and working under their coaches. If he is not ready for 80 games, they won't play him 80 games. In my opinion, I think you should be hoping for him not to be signed. I think he will be, but I don't think it is a slam dunk.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Im not counting the Spits outta this bid process yet in spite of all the things they have going against them. Ive heard from 2 different, non related people that the Spits still have an Ace in play. They mentioned the same thing which seemed odd as they dont know the same people. Well see, I still think its a long shot but Im also thinking its no longer impossible.

If they do get it Ill definitely be trying to get a tic package to watch the Knights (if fortunate enough to get there)

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Isn't having a financial component when rewarding the Memorial Cup wholly hypocritical? Good, successful, money making teams have the advantage when you have to pay millions to the CHL to win the bid. How can a league try and force parity with restrictions on what teams can do for players, then turn around and demand money as part of the bid process?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Im not counting the Spits outta this bid process yet in spite of all the things they have going against them. Ive heard from 2 different, non related people that the Spits still have an Ace in play. They mentioned the same thing which seemed odd as they dont know the same people. Well see, I still think its a long shot but Im also thinking its no longer impossible.

If they do get it Ill definitely be trying to get a tic package to watch the Knights (if fortunate enough to get there)

Also the people that mention they don't want a Saskatoon situation blowing up in their faces the Blades have now won 11 in a row and have taken over 1st place in division for 2nd seed in the conference. I doubt those same people are saying this about Saskatoon now.

Jackman

Dec 8, 2009

I'd be curious to see what kind of 'Ace' they would have that would give Windsor the hosting gig. The team is lacking a number of quality players to make them competitive and the players on their draft list from previous years aren't that amazing to change the dynamic of the team, so I can't see it being a player signing.

I just don't see how Windsor could convince anyone of their ability to produce a Memorial Cup team based on the roster in place today and next season.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Im not going to disagree with what youve said Jackman as I agree with the quality of team issues), but sometimes other factors get pulled into play

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Also the people that mention they don't want a Saskatoon situation blowing up in their faces the Blades have now won 11 in a row and have taken over 1st place in division for 2nd seed in the conference. I doubt those same people are saying this about Saskatoon now.

What was Sakastoons situation when they were awarded Tourney? Did they have a better roster on paper than the Spits (ie. more drafted, rated for draft players, top end guys ect..) Just curious as Im not sure but thought I heard they had a good group of vets already NHL drafted.

Again I wont be surprised if they win the bid or get passed over. Not sure how the factor Ive alluded to will play out (not a player signing) Personally, I wouldnt take it into consideration but the CHL may have a different outlook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad