2014 Memorial Cup Location

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
my feeling is that the city of Windsor has been auditioning for the Mem cup host since before the last one was awarded,hosting league,CHL,hockey Canada events with success at every turn
Providing that the bid presentation matches up and or surpasses everybody elses,the city of Windsor should not be punished because of a violation or violations ,the rules in place did not allow for the revocation of championship or exclusion of league/sanctioned events
Should the Spits meet the criteria expected then why not
The other cities bidding have not hosted many of events i speak for many years in other words before the city of Windsor,and when they did ie Kingston they only filled half the building
Barrie"s building is too small,have not hosted events recently,their club projects to be ok but the loss of Scheifele,Camara, plus 3 o/as is alot,Guelph while projecting a real good team,though if Sparkes graduates a huge hole to fill,have not hosted recent events,questions of generating revenue may preclude them,London,other then the fact they hosted in 2005 which might be the deciding factor,are solid otherwise vis-a vis ,bulding,revenue generating abilities,a very good team projected to return,2 goalies, only 4 D-men as I expect Harrington and Sefton to join Hughes and Ferry in graduating,12 or 13 forwards with Griffith the lone possible forward maybe leaving
Windsor which just missed the last time,many would say there screwed I agree,would have been going after 3rd straight mem cup had they been awarded,definitely would not have moved Cantin and Shugg in the offseason,yet they finshed in the final four,without them along with the early graduation of Cam Fowler,the city and the team have proven the ability to support other events, the team returning projects 19 players,including 2 goalies,8 d-men,and 9 forwards,plus they will have room for 1-2 O/As,1-2 Euros depending what they do with Pavelka,
Rychel with the exception of a 1st rd pick has stocked the shelves sufficiently,as well as having 2 second rd picks in 2014 to allow for trades,he has 2 1st rd euro picks for 2013,windsor"s and niagara"s
He has picks in every round but the 1st and the 8th for 2013,he will make every effort to sign highly touted Nick Schmaltz,Evan Allen,perhaps Riley Barber or Tony Calderone,as he does have a couple of gold edc packs available including 1 he does not have to use because of no pick in the 1st rd
I think at the end it will come down to London and Windsor
We shall see

Not sure why teams like Guelph or Owen Sound couldn't swing a deal with a neighbouring city that has a larger arena when that neighbouring city isn't bidding?
ie: Owen Sound to Barrie
Guelph to Kitchener or Copps Coliseum?
Sarnia to London

Otherwise those OHL teams would never have a prayer to be the host team in the Memorial Cup.
It may actually help to share the bid expense.
I've always thought co-bids would work...but it the great scheme of things...how would one decide which city is the host? There would have to be some sort of agreement based on on ice product.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not sure why teams like Guelph or Owen Sound couldn't swing a deal with a neighbouring city that has a larger arena when that neighbouring city isn't bidding?
ie: Owen Sound to Barrie
Guelph to Kitchener or Copps Coliseum?
Sarnia to London

Otherwise those OHL teams would never have a prayer to be the host team in the Memorial Cup.
It may actually help to share the bid expense.

Copps is not feasible because of the Hamilton Bulldogs in the AHL you can't predict if they will be playing there or not. Same reason Calgary Hitmen, Edmonton Oil Kings are pretty much out of the conversation for hosting because main tenants Flames and Oilers take precedent.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There is an article on Buzzing the Net, Yahoo Sports that claims the Knights bid has hit a snag because of some financial issue with the city. Money was already spent on a figure skating championship or something along that line. Not sure what the implications are.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
60% of Windsor's and closer to 50% of London's

That article is a bit of a disaster on the facts front for a professionally written piece. In addition to the inaccuracies on the size of the rinks, the pricing for the Saskatoon Memorial Cup is also off. I paid $129.75 for the entire package. The top price might have been $500, but I'm not sure even they were that high.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
There is an article on Buzzing the Net, Yahoo Sports that claims the Knights bid has hit a snag because of some financial issue with the city. Money was already spent on a figure skating championship or something along that line. Not sure what the implications are.

The article in question is already posted in this thread:

I'm not sure it says that the money is spent, I think what it says is that the city won't be providing funds for the bid. Presumably the Knights have the where with all to guarantee the funds on their own. I expect they'll bid.

The article in question is already posted in this thread:

I'm not sure it says that the money is spent, I think what it says is that the city won't be providing funds for the bid. Presumably the Knights have the where with all to guarantee the funds on their own. I expect they'll bid.
The Knights just asked the city of London to be their guarantor...they didn't ask them to pony up any cash what-so-ever. The City of London wants to reap the rewards of the Knights hosting Memorial Cup..they just don't want to be part of any monetary commitment..after all...they can't even trust their Mayor with money.:laugh:

The Knights should have no problem securing a guarantor...Global Spectrum I think has a bit of change lying around.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The Knights just asked the city of London to be their guarantor...they didn't ask them to pony up any cash what-so-ever. The City of London wants to reap the rewards of the Knights hosting Memorial Cup..they just don't want to be part of any monetary commitment..after all...they can't even trust their Mayor with money.:laugh:

The Knights should have no problem securing a guarantor...Global Spectrum I think has a bit of change lying around.

Has London paid off the arena yet?

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/20...lson-centre-when-allandale-needs-more-repairs
Interesting read from the Barrie examiner, but what I think is most interesting is the fact that the proposed renovation of the BMC mentioned in the article says nothing about adding addional seats. Whether they add seats to the arena or not could very well make or break the deal for Barrie landing the Memorial Cup. doesnt look good

Why not? I'm pretty sure the proposed upgrades include ~ 800 seats in the East end. This article clearly against the renos...who quotes a random resident?

Kingston will NOT bid for the 2014 Memorial Cup per the article in the Kingston Whig Standard, see game notes at the bottom of the article.

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/01/25/frontenacs-score-moral-victory
In my opinion London's chances just increased considerably. Kingston would have been a favourite had they bid.

The word from the Frontenacs business management team is there will be no bid to host the 2014 Memorial Cup. The London Knights have indicated they will be bidding to host the championship. The next Ontario hosting opportunity would be in 2017

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
In my opinion London's chances just increased considerably. Kingston would have been a favourite had they bid.

Agreed...I think the sanctions against Windsor will be considered, so it probably comes down to Barrie (if they're willing to go to a new city with a lesser bid) or London (if they're just looking for the most complete bid).

jughead42*

Agreed...I think the sanctions against Windsor will be considered, so it probably comes down to Barrie (if they're willing to go to a new city with a lesser bid) or London (if they're just looking for the most complete bid).

So Branch, the guy behind awarding the bids says the sanctions have zero impact on any future cup bids, but you think it will still be a factor? I don't see how that is possible. If Branch were so worried about the optics of a sanctioned team being awarded the hosting gig, then why did he publicly say it wouldn't matter? The optics are already proven to be irrelevant, don't you think? The optics of inviting a team to bid when it won't be considered is probably worse anyway. The only people who care about what Windsor did are people on message boards with axes to grind, the rest of the world has obviously moved on.

So Branch, the guy behind awarding the bids says the sanctions have zero impact on any future cup bids, but you think it will still be a factor? I don't see how that is possible. If Branch were so worried about the optics of a sanctioned team being awarded the hosting gig, then why did he publicly say it wouldn't matter? The optics are already proven to be irrelevant, don't you think? The optics of inviting a team to bid when it won't be considered is probably worse anyway. The only people who care about what Windsor did are people on message boards with axes to grind, the rest of the world has obviously moved on.
You didn't expect Branch to say.."here's your sanctions..but don't bother bidding on the Memorial Cup" did you? C'mon...it isn't rocket science. Windsor getting the Memorial Cup in 2014 would be a Gong Show of negative media attention for the OHL...sorry to be so cut throat.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You didn't expect Branch to say.."here's your sanctions..but don't bother bidding on the Memorial Cup" did you? C'mon...it isn't rocket science. Windsor getting the Memorial Cup in 2014 would be a Gong Show of negative media attention for the OHL...sorry to be so cut throat.

There's no such thing as negative media attention. It will have been close to 24 months since the sanctions were announced nobody except yourself and kanuck would care.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Besides even if Windsor is a crud team - London should be in the Mem Cup with us, and enough of their fans will make the 2 hr trip down the 401 to sell out all the games. Ha! London having a sick team could actually benefit us!

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

Branch couldn't say that because one has nothing to do with the other. I don't know if the man is the bold face liar that he's being made out as by Knights' fans and is taking the city of Windsor for a ride once again but maybe he is.

H44

Aug 31, 2011
Besides even if Windsor is a crud team - London should be in the Mem Cup with us, and enough of their fans will make the 2 hr trip down the 401 to sell out all the games. Ha! London having a sick team could actually benefit us!

You have a neat perspective on this. :handclap:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Personally I think Windsor has the same chance as any team that puts a bid in. They have been preparing their bid for a while now. I think the league did a great job with the sanctions but would it not reflect poorly on the league if they used that issue as a reason to dismiss Windsor's bid if it turned out to be the top bid? Kind of two kicks in the teeth. I am sure who ever gets it though will do a great job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad