2014 Kings vs. 2024 Panthers

Result of a series between the 2014 Kings and 2024 Panthers?

• Kings in 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kings in 5

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Kings in 6

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Kings in 7

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is a bit of a self serving thread because both teams eliminated my Rangers and that's the main reason I didn't choose the 2012 Kings. But also that 2012 Kings team lost so few games that maybe it would be an unfair comparison. I feel like both of these teams played a similarly hard forechecking style. Maybe the Panthers were a bit more skilled and faster. But the Panthers also had no one like Doughty on their defense. Kopitar vs. Barkov is an interesting matchup. The Kings had no one like Tkachuk.

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is a bit of a self serving thread because both teams eliminated my Rangers and that's the main reason I didn't choose the 2012 Kings. But also that 2012 Kings team lost so few games that maybe it would be an unfair comparison. I feel like both of these teams played a similarly hard forechecking style. Maybe the Panthers were a bit more skilled and faster. But the Panthers also had no one like Doughty on their defense. Kopitar vs. Barkov is an interesting matchup. The Kings had no one like Tkachuk.

Maybe not so much at forward, not a blend of skill and physicality anyway. They had plenty of grit though, and their back end was full of assholes with Mitchell, Regehr, Greene, and young Doughty and Muzzin were extremely physical that run as well.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think this one goes to game 7 for sure. People are going to get a bad taste in their mouth for Florida after they lost game 4,5 and 6. Both teams were built VERY similar. That being said Doughty and Quick are better than Bob and Forsling. Although Forsling is still an underrated freak on this board. People still don’t realize how dominant Barkov was when he was on the ice. He was GREAT offensively and absolutely Dominant defensively.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Seems like an overrating of what that King teams was.

They were not some dominant force.

6th seed (10th in the league) who needed 7 games in every series on the way to the finals.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Seems like an overrating of what that King teams was.

They were not some dominant force.

6th seed (10th in the league) who needed 7 games in every series on the way to the finals.
They also played the 3 best teams in the league that year and won three Game 7s on the road against all of them

Reactions: HabzSauce

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why do I feel like if the Kings didn't also win in 2012 or it was a franchise that wasn't as highly touted that the three game 7s would be viewed much more negatively? As is it's seen as a credit to them but if say the 2018 Caps or 2019 Blues two good franchises but not as highly touted as the Kings, did that it would be viewed as them not being good enough to win in a more dominant fashion?

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why do I feel like if the Kings didn't also win in 2012 or it was a franchise that wasn't as highly touted that the three game 7s would be viewed much more negatively? As is it's seen as a credit to them but if say the 2018 Caps or 2019 Blues two good franchises but not as highly touted as the Kings, did that it would be viewed as them not being good enough to win in a more dominant fashion?

It's just two different flavors of shit the Kings had to eat, really. They won in a dominant fashion and got clowned repeatedly for it until they won again.

after 2012--lol lucky team, cream puff brackets
2013--see they were a fluke, lost in WCF to Hawks who were the Champ
2014--3 games 7s? lucky team

The Kings were the only team stopping the hawks from winning 3 or 4 in a row so they should be seen in a more positive light than the f***in pinata they get treated like on this forum for simply not being a president's trophy winner and playing grind-you-to-paste hockey instead of harlem globetrotters offense

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's just two different flavors of shit the Kings had to eat, really. They won in a dominant fashion and got clowned repeatedly for it until they won again.

The Kings were the only team stopping the hawks from winning 3 or 4 in a row so they should be seen in a more positive light than the f***in pinata they get treated like on this forum for simply not being a president's trophy winner and playing grind-you-to-paste hockey instead of harlem globetrotters offense

It's funny because the same board derides the Presidents' Trophy as a nothing accomplishment and playoffs are all that matter.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

No dude the 2014 Bruins were the best in the league that year :sarcasm: Ignore that they lost in the second round. I can’t believe @dgibb10 actually said that.

The 3 game 7’s isn’t a positive or negative to me really. Just happenstance. They went through murderer’s row in the Pacific, then had the unofficial Stanley Cup matchup against the Hawks, then had to play the best Rangers team Lundqvist was a part of.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
They didn't play Boston, the team with the best record and goal differential that year.

Going to a bunch of games game 7 is not a positive.
Boston lost to the 10th place Habs.

LA beat the #2, #5, #7 overall teams to make it to the Finals.

Shocked they beat CHI that year. Everybody knew that whoever won that series was winning the Cup. No disrespect to the NYR, but LA/CHI was the SCF.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No dude the 2014 Bruins were the best in the league that year :sarcasm: Ignore that they lost in the second round. I can’t believe @dgibb10 actually said that.

The 3 game 7’s isn’t a positive or negative to me really. Just happenstance. They went through murderer’s row in the Pacific, then had the unofficial Stanley Cup matchup against the Hawks, then had to play the best Rangers team Lundqvist was a part of.

Debatable, either that one or the one the year following that won the Presidents' Trophy. But I think the fancy stats favored the 2014 team. I think possession-wise that's best team I've ever seen since I started watching hockey regularly (00-01). Not the best team since I started watching (I think this team is if it remains healthy, I'm looking at you Chytil) but that team just held the puck and didn't give it up.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Florida wins the first three before the Kings storm back and win the next three games. Game 7 is all Los Angeles, a 6-0 final where the opening goal is scored by Dustin Brown just thirteen seconds into the opening period, wherein he knees the puck in off Matthew Tkachuk's mouth-guard.

Late in the third, with the Panthers down 5-0, a somnolent Keith Tkachuk is hit by a sarcastically thrown rat in the stands, resulting in him starting a brawl with nearby fans. Several Panthers players climb the glass behind the bench and enter the brouhaha, resulting in ejections to Gudas, Cousins, and surprisingly, Evan Rodrigues. He was kind of just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trevor Lewis wins his first Conn Smythe, with 6 goals in the finals to go alon-

I'm just kidding, I picked Kings in 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad