WC: 2014 Division IA • Apr. 20-26 • General Discussion

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Nah, this championship is Austria's to lose. They have already won against Ukraine which is a bit of a dark horse and they have by far the best line-up.

Although, just checked Austrian roster, man is it brutal. What are they thinking? Agree, it's anyone's game, every European team still has a chance. Japan and Korea - not really.
I think he meant that someone outside of that quartet will be promoted to the Elite division in quite a while and not that someone else will necessarily win the tournament.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think he meant that someone outside of that quartet will be promoted to the Elite division in quite a while and not that someone else will necessarily win the tournament.

Oh yes, I didn't even realize two teams get promoted. Yeah, Hungarians have a chance. Just checked Ukraine's roster, as always they don't have Ponikarovsky, Fedotenko and Razin so they have no chance. Gaiduchenko and Padakin isn't big enough improvement to turn them into a D1A contender. But Hungarians definitely have a chance.

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
Nah, this championship is Austria's to lose. They have already won against Ukraine which is a bit of a dark horse and they have by far the best line-up.

Although, just checked Austrian roster, man is it brutal. What are they thinking? Agree, it's anyone's game, every European team still has a chance. Japan and Korea - not really.

Japan just beat Slovenia in regular time...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I attended all 3 games. Ukraine/Austria was relatively competitive, with Austria being the more dominant team, but not at a level so far and above Ukraine. Was a good game.

The 2nd game was a little dull. Slovenia unquestionably are the more skilled team, but really wern't cohesive or interested half the time. Japan were limited.

The 3rd game was a riot. Hungary were prety efficient for the most part until the 3rd. Korea showed a lot of character and determination. Good skating team who can handle the puck and not afraid to play physical despite their notable size disadvantage. Defensively a mess and very undisciplined however.

It is hard to say who the favourites are. Austria/Hungary probably, but it is a competitive group.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Ukraine looking pretty good vs. Hungary.

Austria is probably going to win gold here, while Ukraine/Slovenia/Japan/Hungary are fighting for the 2nd place and promotion to the Elite division.

The only Korean chance of surviving seems to be Japan losing all of their remaining games.

Although it would be interesting to see Slovenia lose later today. :laugh:

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
Back in 2003 I was living in Seoul and got to attend the 2003 Div III championships. South Korea sure has come a long way since then.

Having said that there is a danger that they could lose every game in this tournament.

Your memory is a bit off. The tournament played in Seoul in 2003 was division II group A, so they haven't come quite that far. Still, they were 29th in the world then and will probably be 22nd this year, so they have certainly improved but they were never as low as div III.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Austria and Ukraine look to be the favourites here. Will be interesting to see how Korea and Ukraine do given the fact they're relatively new hockey nations.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Austria and Ukraine look to be the favourites here. Will be interesting to see how Korea and Ukraine do given the fact they're relatively new hockey nations.

How is Ukraine a new hockey nation? Even if you look at their team it's mostly veterans

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So it looks like Hungary is out of it, Austrians will take the 1st place, 2nd will be decided between Ukraine and Slovenia.

zamo86*

Gracnar with another shutout. 63/63 saves so far in two games played. To bad he didnt start on the first one as well.

Edit: Japan has no chance. It will be decided between Slovenia, Austria and Ukraine.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Right now Japan has the 2nd spot!

If they're going to win, I really really hope Austria loses to South Korea :D

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
After a quick overview, Japan has a pretty good chance to claim the 2nd spot, even if Austria wins.

If Austria wins today, the standings would be:

Austria, 11p
Slovenia, 9p
Japan, 9p

If they win the next round's games:

Austria, 14p
Slovenia, 12p
Japan, 12p

Since Austria and Slovenia are facing each other in the last round (while Japan is facing Hungary), Japan has a big chance of getting promoted!

Temid

Oct 10, 2006
sLOVEnia
Its getting quite intense. After today games (if Austria wins and i honestly dont see how they wouldnt) 5 teams will still have open options for promotion before last 2 days. Only Korea will be out.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It's been 10 years already since Japan's last appearance in the elite division. Would love to see them getting a chance now.

Temid

Oct 10, 2006
sLOVEnia
Holy bananas.. Korea leading 3-0.. Austria equalizes and takes the lead 4-3.. Korea scores one more and its 4-4 now. And its still 1st period... and its 5-4 for Austria now.. maybe im watching wrong live feed or smth.. maybe its a handball game :).

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
in an absolute ****-fest of defensive play, Austria is 5-4 against South Korea after 18 minutes.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Austria's defense is absolute slapstick. First, they let two Koreans get to the puck behind the Austrian net, then, one defender runs into his teammate, taking both players out of the play, giving Korea a 2 on 1.

Ravenclaw2099

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Dang..while I knew it was a stretch, I was really hoping to see Korea pull an upset.

Obviously some questionable defense on both sides in the first, but I do feel that Korea's starting goalie let in some pretty bad goals.

Just would be nice to see the Home crowd witness at least one win before it's all said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad