WC: 2014 Division IA • Apr. 20-26 • General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Erm, the shot difference seems to be 16:3 in favor of Hungary. How is that even possible?

And if that's true, how is it that they don't stand a chance with a 5:1 shots ratio? :laugh:

Turned livescore on, got the flags mixed up (didn't really pay attention to them, just expected the outshot ones will be Hungary) and came up with this conclusion. Fail of the century.

Last edited by a moderator:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Aaand it's even again. DivI might be lacking in quality, but at least the games are pretty exciting. :)

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
I'm absolutely baffled, annoyed and a little bit ashamed by how damn lucky this team is. If Starkbaum doens't stand on his head, this game is decided. I'll absolutely take a W, though.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Austria getting such results with essentially their B team shows how huge the gap between the Elite division and IA is. I would even go as far as to suggest that the number of teams in the Elite should be decreased.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Strange situation, never saw that referees send teams to the locker room before deciding if it was a goal or not.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Strange situation, never saw that referees send teams to the locker room before deciding if it was a goal or not.
The time had obviously run out (at least on the scoreboard that's shown on the TV feed), but the siren sounded with a delay, as far as I can tell.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I would even go as far as to suggest that the number of teams in the Elite should be decreased.

I would have agreed with that a few years ago, but recently the relegation battle has always been pretty close, even though it's always the same teams that end up going down.

In 2010, we had the USA in the relegation round and the three other teams played close games, in 2011 all four teams, including Latvia and Belarus, were tied in points before the last games, in 2012 Italy was relegated despite a win against Denmark, and last year Austria managed to win two games. Even with 16 teams in the top pool, no one is clearly not competitive for that level.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
It clearly wasn't a goal. You could see that the puck was in the crease when it showed 0:00 on the scoreboard.

clock could have been wrong, depends on the official clock. Rangers had the situation vice versa when Del Zotto scored an apparent goal, according to the broadcasters' clock. The official timekeeping had no time left - therefor it was no goal. Seems strange, but I do believe it's the right call.

Anyway, Iberer makes this 4-3 Austria. His shot took him off his skates :laugh:.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
that's a goal. 4-4

Eidt: no, it wasn't.

Now it's 4-4. What a terrible play by the Austrian defense. Starkbaum wants that one back, too.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I would have agreed with that a few years ago, but recently the relegation battle has always been pretty close, even though it's always the same teams that end up going down.

In 2010, we had the USA in the relegation round and the three other teams played close games, in 2011 all four teams, including Latvia and Belarus, were tied in points before the last games, in 2012 Italy was relegated despite a win against Denmark, and last year Austria managed to win two games. Even with 16 teams in the top pool, no one is clearly not competitive for that level.

Sure, the nations at the bottom of the Elite division are good enough to play there but are they good enough to win anything there, ever? Are they good enough to be a real threat to the big teams the way Germany was in 2011? No.

More importantly, you are watching at this from the Elite division perspective, I'm watching at it from D1A perspective. No matter which teams get relegated from Elite they are back after two years because D1A is a joke to them. If Elite was reduced to 12 teams it would be more competitive (now even Latvia feels comfortable enough to not take it seriously) and the D1A would actually mean something, it would become competitive for the first time in his existence. Austrians, who could never win anything at the Elite, can cruise through D1A with their B team. Furthermore, if any team (like Japan) from outside this cycle would squeak into the Elite would they be able to win a game there? Only the weakest Elite division teams would even need to break a sweat to beat them. So what's the purpose of D1A, then? Now it's more like a one year penalty for dropping out of the Elite rather than a real competition.

Last edited:

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
It seems to me that Ukraine sent a pretty good team compared to the other countries, i'm surprised that they've done so poorly. Or am I missing something?

On a different note, I agree with sound and fury, it's pretty clear that D1A is a joke, the same teams cycle through the promotion/demotion cycle. Cutting the elite to 12 or 14 teams would make D1A a lot more competitive.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Sure, the nations at the bottom of the Elite division are good enough to play there but are they good enough to win anything there, ever? Are they good enough to be a real threat to the big teams the way Germany was in 2011? No.

Sure, but by following this logic you can reduce the top pool to the 8 teams that medaled recently (hell, you can even reduce the FIFA world cup to 8 teams). Every competition have teams entering despite no realistic chance of winning. For some, getting a chance to play against the best is already a big achievement.

More importantly, you are watching at this from the Elite division perspective, I'm watching at it from D1A perspective. No matter which teams get relegated from Elite they are back after two years because D1A is a joke to them. If Elite was reduced to 12 teams it would be more competitive (now even Latvia feels comfortable enough to not take it seriously) and the D1A would actually mean something, it would become competitive for the first time in his existence. Austrians, who could never win anything at the Elite, can cruise through D1A with their B team. Furthermore, if any team (like Japan) from outside this cycle would squeak into the Elite would they be able to win a game there? Only the weakest Elite division teams would even need to break a sweat to beat them. So what's the purpose of D1A, then? Now it's more like a one year penalty for dropping out of the Elite rather than a real competition.

The fact that the same four teams always go up and down is just a temporary effect of hockey evolving. In the 80's, there were arguably 7 teams good enough for the top pool and 4 good enough to medal, then you had Finland joining the contenders, then Switzerland, Latvia, Belarus and Slovakia joining the list of teams good enough for the top pools, and more rencently Denmark, Norway and France joined that group while eight different teams medaled in the last four years.

In the current situation, we have 18 teams good enough for the top pool, and two of them always have an easy time in D1A. Maybe in a few years, Hungary, South Korea or another team will be good enough to challenge the weakest of that group and make D1A more interesting.

Beside, what you suggest would only push the problem further down. Let's say the top pool had been reduced to 12 teams. Between 2010 and now, we'd have a strong D1A with Belarus, France, Italy, Kazakhstan, Slovenia and Austria. France and Belarus would have gone up, Denmark and Latvia gone down, rinse and repeat. D1B would have become the current D1A you find uninteresting, Hungary would have gone up every other year and be relegated the following season.

The fact that there have been a group of 14 teams staying in the top pool and 4 going up and down for now five seasons is just a result of the current state of international hockey. But given how close the current D1A is, and how close the relegation battle in the top pool has been recently, this situation can change any year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It seems to me that Ukraine sent a pretty good team compared to the other countries, i'm surprised that they've done so poorly. Or am I missing something?

You are missing something. What gave you that idea?

Furthermore, I think they did really well. Loss in regulation was pretty bad result but point against Austria is a bonus, Hungary was defeated very convincingly and they still have the game against the lowly Koreans ahead. They are in great spot to finish 4th which is a fair spot for them.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sure, but by following this logic you can reduce the top pool to the 8 teams that medaled recently (hell, you can even reduce the FIFA world cup to 8 teams). Every competition have teams entering despite no realistic chance of winning. For some, getting a chance to play against the best is already a big achievement.

No need to get overboard, Switzerland has finished 9th and 11th before winning silver last year. Let's stay sane here. Same with FIFA tournament, Denmark '92 and Greece '04 are great examples but lets put football aside.

The problem is that while some teams are just happy to be there teams in the middle of the pack (once again I'll take Latvia as an example) are getting complacent because they have no fear of dropping out and no ambition of winning. Latvian KHL "stars" treat a tournament a nuisance.

The fact that the same four teams always go up and down is just a temporary effect of hockey evolving. In the 80's, there were arguably 7 teams good enough for the top pool and 4 good enough to medal, then you had Finland joining the contenders, then Switzerland, Latvia, Belarus and Slovakia joining the list of teams good enough for the top pools, and more rencently Denmark, Norway and France joined that group while eight different teams medaled in the last four years.

In the current situation, we have 18 teams good enough for the top pool, and two of them always have an easy time in D1A. Maybe in a few years, Hungary, South Korea or another team will be good enough to challenge the weakest of that group and make D1A more interesting.

That's true but the timeline is not clear. It might take 10-20 or even more years for one of those fringe teams to step up. Why not increase the number of participants when these nations actually get there?

Beside, what you suggest would only push the problem further down. Let's say the top pool had been reduced to 12 teams. Between 2010 and now, we'd have a strong D1A with Belarus, France, Italy, Kazakhstan, Slovenia and Austria. France and Belarus would have gone up, Denmark and Latvia gone down, rinse and repeat. D1B would have become the current D1A you find uninteresting, Hungary would have gone up every other year and be relegated the following season.

That is absolutely not true. I think you know it yourself, there is more than enough evidence to see these teams can really challenge one another.

Same goes to the D1B, Hungary is no hockey giant, the lost to the Netherlands on their home ice in the OGQ and they face off against Poland fairly frequently with mixed end results. Hungary's or Ukraine's hockey level is a lot closer to D2B nations like Poland, GB or Korea than it is to Italy or Austria. By the way, Poland has won against Italians this year too.

The fact that there have been a group of 14 teams staying in the top pool and 4 going up and down for now five seasons is just a result of the current state of international hockey. But given how close the current D1A is, and how close the relegation battle in the top pool has been recently, this situation can change any year.

But hey, that's what we are talking about, D1A isn't close at all. Hungary, Japan or Ukraine are probably decades away from catching up with nations with solid hockey pyramids. That's kind of the topic of this discussion. The only thing which I think can happen is the collapse of the Slovenian NT due to the obvious reasons but that will take decades too.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Japan taking care of business, 3-0 after the first. Although with Koreans you never know, it's not over till it's over.

Ravenclaw2099

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
I believe so, since Japan beat Slovenia in their game. in the case of a two way tie it's the head to head record that determines the standings.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
No need to get overboard, Switzerland has finished 9th and 11th before winning silver last year. Let's stay sane here. Same with FIFA tournament, Denmark '92 and Greece '04 are great examples but lets put football aside.

I just mentioned the 8 teams that medaled recently to illustrate my point. I could also have said that the same five teams always win IIHF tournaments.

The problem is that while some teams are just happy to be there teams in the middle of the pack (once again I'll take Latvia as an example) are getting complacent because they have no fear of dropping out and no ambition of winning. Latvian KHL "stars" treat a tournament a nuisance.

I'm not sure teams such as Latvia have a big enough margin to afford that. Over the last 10 years, teams such as Belarus and Germany have been relegated, Latvia came close a few times and even Slovakia and the USA had to play against relegation. Look at the crazy combination of results we had in the Helsinki group last year, Latvia is not safe.

That's true but the timeline is not clear. It might take 10-20 or even more years for one of those fringe teams to step up. Why not increase the number of participants when these nations actually get there?

Agreed. When the IIHF increased the top pool to 16 teams, I thought it was a bad decision, and that 12 or 14 would have been better. However, based on the last few years, I think 16 is now fine. Obviously, from a D1A point of view, the current situation is not the best, but as I said, these things will evolve.

That is absolutely not true. I think you know it yourself, there is more than enough evidence to see these teams can really challenge one another.

Same goes to the D1B, Hungary is no hockey giant, the lost to the Netherlands on their home ice in the OGQ and they face off against Poland fairly frequently with mixed end results. Hungary's or Ukraine's hockey level is a lot closer to D2B nations like Poland, GB or Korea than it is to Italy or Austria. By the way, Poland has won against Italians this year too.

My scenario wasn't a prediction of the future, but a reflection of the last few seasons, in which France and Belarus are ahead of Italy/Austria/Slovenia/Kazakhstan, and Hungary has been one win away from promotion three years in a row. The fact is, you pretty much admit that with a 12 teams top pool, there wouldn't be much movement between D1A and D1B because of the same gap we now have between the top pool and D1A.

But hey, that's what we are talking about, D1A isn't close at all. Hungary, Japan or Ukraine are probably decades away from catching up with nations with solid hockey pyramids. That's kind of the topic of this discussion. The only thing which I think can happen is the collapse of the Slovenian NT due to the obvious reasons but that will take decades too.

I think the current tournament shows that D1A can be close. And even if not, you simply can't say it will take decades for things to change. 10 years ago, Denmark was just promoted, Norway struggled to stay in the top pool, France didn't even have a dedicted hockey federation and Ukraine was a top 12 team. Things evolve, and you can't always predict how.

Beside, when you mention "nations with solid hockey pyramids", you make it sound like there is clear gap in the way these federations work. But when you look at it closer, Austria has a strong league, although with foreign teams, Kazakhstan has a KHL team and a working national league, Italy has a mediocre league that just lost a team to EBEL, while Slovenia's pool of player is much smaller than everyone else's and they have no local pro league. On the other hand, Japan and South Korea recently setup a working league together, Hungary as a working league as well and a team in EBEL, and Ukraine has a KHL team. I see no reason why those country wouldn't be able to catch up on Slovenia or Italy. Not saying it will happen for sure, but the current setup certainly won't prevent it from happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad