Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XI | All UFA and Trade proposals here | Cap SET: $69M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Why is the Russian spelling of Kulemin different?

For the same reason toilets flush the opposite direction in South America. I have no idea.

(and because they use a different alphabet than we do, and there is more than one way to translate it into English. There are also "American" versions of Russian names, for example, Eugene is commonly used for Evgeniy, but Geno like many Russians uses a more phonetic spelling in English).

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Why is the Russian spelling of Kulemin different?
The Russian alphabet is based off of Cyrillic, which has different (eastern) roots than the Latin alphabet (western) roots from which English and other European languages are derived.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Anything is possible, just don't count on it like I have been warning people. None of us really know what will happen in terms of his goal scoring with Malkin.

What I can tell you is that the guy can rip a puck. If Neal and AO velocity would be the benchmark at 10, Kulemin's shot is like an 8.

Here is the problem. The year he scored 30, he shot over 17%, which isn't sustainable. He also had over 170 shots. The last two years COMBINED he has barely broken 150 (being in a defensive role played a big part). He has a career shooting percentage of right around 11%. So if he starts to rip the puck more than 80 times a season, he can be a 20 goal guy IMHO.

The big question is, in a more offensive role, playing with Malkin, will he start ripping the puck again?

If Beau Bennett's on the other side and the line clicks, I wouldn't rule out 25-30. If there's more of a pure shooter there, then probably right around 20.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Even if he only gets 20-20, the extra offensive zone time Geno will get will increase his scoring, especially in the playoffs. Our ability to have a more dangerous PK will also help.
I think it'd be more like 20-40 though. His tenacity coupled with Geno's skill just results in points, even without him making a bunch of pretty passes.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You do know there's this thing called the salary cap, right? And maybe, just maybe, this team wants to do better than scrubs like Megna, Vitale, and/or Gibbons on the fourth line. He isn't going to earn anything playing in the wrong role on a third line. If the Penguins don't want to use him in a top 6 role, they should trade him. Otherwise, he needs a long look. If Yinzer Nation doesn't like that because Pixburgh is full of hard-workin' folk n'at, tough ****.

Megna isn't a scrub

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Even if he only gets 20-20, the extra offensive zone time Geno will get will increase his scoring, especially in the playoffs. Our ability to have a more dangerous PK will also help.

If he shoots more he will get 20+. I don't doubt his ability to finish, I doubt his willingness to shoot more. Like I said, none of us have a clue what he will do (goal wise) if he signs with the Pens.

I'm 100% sure he makes the Malkin line better and the team overall much better.

Michael8771*

So is it agreed that the Pens should target Vrbata and Kulemin? Jim said 4 players are targeted, but never said they were for 4 roles. They could all be for that 2nd winger slot
Those two would be the guys I target. After signing them I'd look to add some toughness in the bottom six.

Michael8771*

I think I read an article about Kulemin saying he wanted to bring more offensively or he thought he could.
I could see him top out around 60 points if all goes well. More realistically 55 points which still isn't bad. Particularly if Geno's other line mate can produce as well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If Beau Bennett's on the other side and the line clicks, I wouldn't rule out 25-30. If there's more of a pure shooter there, then probably right around 20.

I think Malkin returns to being more of a natural goal scorer with Neal gone. He was constantly passing up money looks and trying to hook up Neal.

As I said before I'm more than cool with that line, though I prefer the depth of BB on the third for now.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If we are going to go after several free agents, it means we'll be getting older. It'd be nice if we could ship out some incumbent vets for picks or prospects to create room/cap space.

Do we all think we'll only target top-six and bottom-six players, or will Rutherford also bring in a defenseman? What about a goaltender?

I have a feeling we are one of the six teams talking to Brodeur. I also think Rutherford is going to try to get a veteran blueliner on the cheap to serve as a No. 5-7 guy while Maatta/Pouliot rehab.

In terms of bottom-six, Kevin Westgarth makes too much sense for us at this time. Rutherford signed him in Carolina. Johnston was in LA when Westgarth was drafted IIRC. That would make a lot of sense.

Spaling was talked about as a third liner yesterday, so either he and Sutter will play together or Spaling will man the center spot and Sutter will be moved.

If we land Kulemin AND someone else, would that move Hornqvist to the third line (with Spaling and Sutter)?

Lots and lots of stuff up in the air right now. Kinda exciting, though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Kulemin definitely could bring more offensively than he has the past few years in Toronto, every Maple Leafs fan will point out how he's been misused horribly, but anyone expecting 30+30 will be in for a disappointment. As a third wheel he'd be excellent on Geno's line, if only for his board work and defensive responsibility.

Depending on the contract amount I'll almost certainly love the deal. The only reason I've been against acquiring Kulemin in the past was that I was hesitant to give up the price he'd require via trade, especially at this last deadline. Kulemin isn't worth what the Leafs were rumored to be asking, and now they'll lose him for nothing.

Kevin Westgarth is a horrible hockey player. I'd almost rather have PL3. There is no way in hell Hornqvist isn't in the top six.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Wow, I think the pens are going with an all-kid defense this year. I love it. I really hope they dump Scuderi at some point.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Kulemin definitely could bring more offensively than he has the past few years in Toronto, every Maple Leafs fan will point out how he's been misused horribly, but anyone expecting 30+30 will be in for a disappointment. As a third wheel he'd be excellent on Geno's line, if only for his board work and defensive responsibility.

Depending on the contract amount I'll almost certainly love the deal. The only reason I've been against acquiring Kulemin in the past was that I was hesitant to give up the price he'd require via trade, especially at this last deadline. Kulemin isn't worth what the Leafs were rumored to be asking, and now they'll lose him for nothing.

Kevin Westgarth is a horrible hockey player. I'd almost rather have PL3. There is no way in hell Hornqvist isn't in the top six.

So if we land Kulemin the top six would be set, no? Unless the concerns about Bennett force another move.

I'd like to see another trade, maybe two. Kunitz, Dupuis...we should still try to move them.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6332544-74/penguins-million-defensemen#axzz35sk1A3xt

Nothing earth shattering, just affirms the increasing certainty that Kulemin will be signed.

Love hearing the plan to play the kids on D and let Orpik go. They are finally getting this part right.

I don't like the sound of Sutter possibly getting 4 million.

Botterill said no to top end forwards or D-Men but that they'll go for needs. Sounds much more likely they're targeting a Kulemin or Hemsky type than a Vanek type like some speculated about on here.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6332544-74/penguins-million-defensemen#axzz35sk1A3xt

Nothing earth shattering, just affirms the increasing certainty that Kulemin will be signed.

This sentence may be my favorite thing I've read all offseason :laugh:

"Defenseman Brooks Orpik, the franchise's longest-tenured player, is not being targeted for a new contract."

I also like this

One player who fit into the Penguins' plans is Despres. The team's 2009 first-round draft pick, who was never a favorite of former coach Dan Bylsma, will be given an opportunity to shine.

“Without a doubt,†Botterill said. “You saw how he played in the playoffs in Wilkes-Barre. It was a great step in the right direction. He went down there with a better attitude. He was very physical. I think he enjoyed playing. It's been a difficult situation for our defensemen because of the depth that we have.â€

Or used to have.

Niskanen and Orpik are expected to leave the Penguins this week, as is unrestricted free agent Deryk Engelland.

Defensemen Olli Maatta and Derrick Pouliot endured recent shoulder surgeries and could miss the beginning of the season.

“You have to trust what they can do in the future,†Botterill said. “We want to add depth at forward. The fact that we have defensemen that we're comfortable with on entry-level contract us will allow us to use more (cap space) on forwards.â€

If only this philosophy was applied sooner.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I could see him top out around 60 points if all goes well. More realistically 55 points which still isn't bad. Particularly if Geno's other line mate can produce as well.

keep in mind he's almost certainly not getting any significant top powerplay time. 50 points would be damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad