Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XI | All UFA and Trade proposals here | Cap SET: $69M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($4.750m)
Nick Spaling ($1.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.800m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Adam Payerl ($0.627m) / Joe Vitale ($1.000m) / Jayson Megna ($0.975m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Simon Despres ($0.950m)
Derrick Pouliot ($0.863m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BURIED
Craig Adams ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,034,167; BONUSES: $665,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,965,833

Banking on a lot, but let the kids play. Still room to get a cheap UFA defenseman nd Harrington could be called up.

I like it, but you do need some veterans. I'd rather see a cheap veteran defenseman as the 7th defenseman than a guy like Samuelsson. It'd probably do him better developing more in WBS than sitting on the bench.

I also think you'll see Dumoulin before Pouliot, not a guarantee, anything can happen, but I think as of right now, Dumoulin is NHL ready. I think a pairing of Dumoulin and Bortuzzo has a chance of being very good.

The fourth line is lacking a little, I'd honestly look for a little bit of an improvement there. I realize there isn't a lot of cap space, but I think we could do better.

grahamie18

Jun 5, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Harrington should be getting more love in these projected rosters. The guy is a hockey player. He's got high end stick and body position skills. He wont wow you, but if you watch him play 20 games you realize he's a special player in his own way.

Is he ready for the NHL? I've been waiting for this guy for awhile now, he paired very well with Dougie Hamilton just a few years ago in the WJC's....any folks who watch the Baby Pens have any input?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'd use training camp to make that decision :nod:

If you'll pardon a meme;

original

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wouldn't worry too much about specifics with numbers. Yohe didn't even get Sutter's caphit right. He won't command 4 unless he wants to go elsewhere. I thought maybe 3.75. Berglund at 3.7 should be his max.

I think they'll still try and land a top 4 RHD. And just roll with youth from there. Scuds would be moved if we could land one.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Westgarth is not my personal target as an enforcer. I felt bad for him when Luke Gazdic demolished him in their fight. I'd prefer to get someone who is younger, and has the ability to improve their game. Jamie Devane makes too much sense. He skates well for a big man, he hits hard, fights like a heavyweight, and isn't too shabby defensively. Devane competes hard, and drives to the net.

After Toronto decided not to select Nick Ritchie with their first round pick, I am convinced that they are leaning towards skill players, and the tough mentality that they had is gone. Devane might be expandable with David Broll and Tyler Biggs in their organization.

Michael8771*

I'd still take Hemsky over either. I'd take Vrbata over Jussi too. But I do wonder if moving Neal changes JRs thoughts on Jussi at all.
I'm not a Hemsky fan relative to what we have here. Vrbata is more the type of guy that would compliment a Crosby or Malkin. He's a nice blend of shooting and creating. Hemsky seldom scores and doesn't shoot much.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I like it, but you do need some veterans. I'd rather see a cheap veteran defenseman as the 7th defenseman than a guy like Samuelsson. It'd probably do him better developing more in WBS than sitting on the bench.

I also think you'll see Dumoulin before Pouliot, not a guarantee, anything can happen, but I think as of right now, Dumoulin is NHL ready. I think a pairing of Dumoulin and Bortuzzo has a chance of being very good.

The fourth line is lacking a little, I'd honestly look for a little bit of an improvement there. I realize there isn't a lot of cap space, but I think we could do better.
I think Samuelsson must clear waivers to go to WBS, so that complicates things a bit.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Ulf's kid is no longer waiver exempt. He's either #7 or we most likely lose him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not a Hemsky fan relative to what we have here. Vrbata is more the type of guy that would compliment a Crosby or Malkin. He's a nice blend of shooting and creating. Hemsky seldom scores and doesn't shoot much.

I disagree, but I wouldn't be against signing Vrbata at all.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Westgarth is not my personal target as an enforcer. I felt bad for him when Luke Gazdic demolished him in their fight. I'd prefer to get someone who is younger, and has the ability to improve their game. Jamie Devane makes too much sense. He skates well for a big man, he hits hard, fights like a heavyweight, and isn't too shabby defensively. Devane competes hard, and drives to the net.

After Toronto decided not to select Nick Ritchie with their first round pick, I am convinced that they are leaning towards skill players, and the tough mentality that they had is gone. Devane might be expandable with David Broll and Tyler Biggs in their organization.

I don't necessarily think you need a dedicated guy like that, a tough role-player should be enough. That said, Chicago doesn't have one, as they just traded Bollig. Unless they sign someone else, I think there's a good chance they start the season without one.

If you want a decent role-player who can fight, Patrick Bordeleau is an option.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
If we don't move Scuderi, then Bennett has to play in the top 6.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Nick Spaling ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($4.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) / Joe Vitale ($0.900m) / Jayson Megna ($0.925m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.250m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.925m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,219,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $780,833

Obviously that probably won't be our 4th line because it sounds like JR has different plans, but the fact still remains. We're against the cap and $3.375M is too much for a bottom pair defenseman.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
until Maatta is back, sure. But after that, who would they play over?

Martin
Letang
Maatta
Bortuzzo
Despres

those 5 should be locked into the line-up when they are healthy.

I say you burn that bridge when you get to it. This time last year we were ready to ship Nisky off for futures, but a never ending parade of injuries made room for him.

penguins2946*

I don't see how Sutter has the leverage to command $4 million annually. Berglund, who was much more productive and better, just got $3.7 million annually. I can't see him getting any more than $3.5 million per.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I say you burn that bridge when you get to it. This time last year we were ready to ship Nisky off for futures, but a never ending parade of injuries made room for him.

fair enough. I wouldn't be signing anybody to fill in to start the year. And I wouldn't be holding onto Scuds because of it either. Let the kids fill in and get a taste of the NHL along with a prolonged competition for the spot.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Malkin returns to being more of a natural goal scorer with Neal gone. He was constantly passing up money looks and trying to hook up Neal.

As I said before I'm more than cool with that line, though I prefer the depth of BB on the third for now.

Turning Geno into more of a goal scorer again should be the priority with Neal gone. Get that one timer back on the PP as well.

We definitely need some more depth, but if Bennett finds his way onto that line and they click like I think they will, I think it'll be money.

I want Sid getting a big upgrade on his line. And Bennett may need to play in the top 6 to make it work with the cap.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I think Glass and Adams were big issues, too. Glass seemed rather angry at his benching, and he seemed to have a sense of entitlement. I suppose Bylsma planted that in him, but still.

It SHOULD be a different, VASTLY different room next year.

Bringing in a Kulemin is good for the room, imo. It reminds the room one more time how important Geno is to this franchise. When guys are brought in with direct ties to our two superstars, it can only be a good thing for the hierarchical structure of the dressing room.

What about Iggy, though? Should we give him another try? Wouldn't the sequel be much better under Johnston?

I wonder if he falls under what Rutherford described as top-end, or is he a specific role?

I would absolutely explore bringing Iginla back if the price is right. I would probably rather give him a 2-3 year contract than one of Hemsky or Vrbata a 5+ year contract, assuming the money is similar (i.e. $5 mil or less).

The powerplay unit would be deadly.

Hornqvist-Crosby-Malkin
Iginla-Letang

Of course picking up a second top-six winger (assuming Kulemin is the first) would necessitate dumping Dupuis (or Scuderi).

Michael8771*

I don't see how Sutter has the leverage to command $4 million annually. Berglund, who was much more productive and better, just got $3.7 million annually. I can't see him getting any more than $3.5 million per.
Agreed, I'd actually see him under 3.5 mil. I know he didn't have much to work with the majority of the season but Sutter was very underwhelming until march.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would absolutely explore bringing Iginla back if the price is right. I would probably rather give him a 2-3 year contract than one of Hemsky or Vrbata a 5+ year contract, assuming the money is similar (i.e. $5 mil or less).

The powerplay unit would be deadly.

Hornqvist-Crosby-Malkin
Iginla-Letang

Kulemin - Malkin - Iginla would be a damn fine line
Kunitz - Crosby - Honqvist

Ya I can work with that.

and as a note, I hope the lines are less rigid with a new coach. If they cool off, shuffle guys around a bit.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I don't necessarily think you need a dedicated guy like that, a tough role-player should be enough. That said, Chicago doesn't have one, as they just traded Bollig. Unless they sign someone else, I think there's a good chance they start the season without one.

If you want a decent role-player who can fight, Patrick Bordeleau is an option.

Chicago is apparently going to give Brandon Mashinter a chance to fill-in Bollig's role. Jamie Devane reminds me a lot Patrick Bordeleau. Both players are huge, but they can skate well. They both fight an open toe-to-toe style which is exciting.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ulf's kid is no longer waiver exempt. He's either #7 or we most likely lose him.

Yeah, Dumoulin is the valuable one when it comes to waivers and being healthy, if Ulf2 comes up you have to be committed to him staying up. Best case, he's a bottom pairing guy all season and in the playoffs, next best is he's in the bottom pairing until someone is brought in at the TDL and then he acts as the #7. Assuming Scuderi gets traded.

Trade Scuderi, JR.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Iggy isn't worth what he'll get. Guy's slow and not someone who can help carry his line independent of Sid/Geno. I'd spend that money on Hemsky or in a trade.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, Dumoulin is the valuable one when it comes to waivers and being healthy, if Ulf2 comes up you have to be committed to him staying up. Best case, he's a bottom pairing guy all season and in the playoffs, next best is he's in the bottom pairing until someone is brought in at the TDL and then he acts as the #7. Assuming Scuderi gets traded.

If Dumoulin or Harrington outplay Samuelsson, Samuelsson should be the number 7 as soon as Maatta is back. If both Dumoulin AND Harrington outplay him, then Samuelsson should be the number 7 all year. If he's not our 6th best defender, don't force him into our top 6 D line-up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Iggy isn't worth what he'll get. Guy's slow and not someone who can help carry his line independent of Sid/Geno. I'd spend that money on Hemsky or in a trade.

Agreed. I think he's pretty done, that extra gear is gone from what I've seen. I'd rather go for a longer term player anyway, ie Hemsky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad