Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XI | All UFA and Trade proposals here | Cap SET: $69M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Sid is changing his game so he can have a longer career. A 5'11 superstar center should not be scoring most of his goals around the net.

Then we may have to adjust our expectations.

And again, you're ignoring the fact Geno wasn't ripping one timers on the PP in 2012 when he had a monster season.

He certainly was.

Assuming it's all due to injury is a bit of a reach.

Seems pretty cut-and-dried to me.

Either way, put them with more talent and let's find out what this team can do.

Agreed.

So was Kunitz. And so were Malone and Sykora when he scored 47. Neal is hardly a guy Geno needs to be successful. That's the point I'm making. Kulemin is a far superior defensive player and a guy who will work the boards, go to the net and hustle his ass off. And Bennett, despite being less proven, has the type of skillset that will make Geno's line more difficult to defend. He can make things happen on his own. But I think the latter part we're on the same page with. Bennett should be given a shot next year.

My only point of contention was that Geno didn't need possession players to score 50, so a lack of them isn't why he hasn't sniffed that total since '11-'12. The most obvious change here is the injuries.

But having more guys who can carry the puck should benefit him, as you say. Guys like Bennett.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't like Beau in the top-6, but we have a very solid bottom-6 and D group. I feel like I'm low on the cap hits for Fayne and Spaling though, maybe Kulemin too. I don't think he has much leverage to demand a lot. I think he would take a $3 million offer if he can be guaranteed to play with Malkin.

And yet we have no one to move up when we have injuries. Dupuis, Spalling, Megna, Clifford? Sure it could work. But there's zero flexibility there for the coach to really move lines around if something isn't working.

Unfortunately unless they trade/buyout Dupuis, or perhaps shift him to #3C (if possible) and trade Sutter, I don't think there's too many options there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't remember Geno one timing pucks with any regularity since before Neal was here.

And Sid is in dire need of a high end winger.

Aside from that, we agree.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Off-topic as I didn't know where to put this as the PGT was closed by it was a shame to see Austin Lemieux not taken but I think he is more likely to get if at all as an over-ager.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't remember Geno one timing picks with any regularity since before Neal was here.

And Sid is in dire need of a high end winger.

Aside from that, we agree.

I do wonder where that's going to come from now.

Better hope Hornqvist is a revelation or Kapanen has a Maatta-like development curve.

penguins2946*

And yet we have no one to move up when we have injuries. Dupuis, Spalling, Megna, Clifford? Sure it could work. But there's zero flexibility there for the coach to really move lines around if something isn't working.

Unfortunately unless they trade/buyout Dupuis, or perhaps shift him to #3C (if possible) and trade Sutter, I don't think there's too many options there.

I don't see how there is no flexibility. All 4 of those are capable of not looking out of place on the 3rd line. I get what you mean (no 3rd liners that can also not look out of place in the top-6). The only realistic thing we could do IMO is trade Sutter for a winger like Stewart, play Spaling at 3C (he's equally as good at center as he is on the wing) and playing Dupuis and Bennett on the 3rd line.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I do wonder where that's going to come from now.

Better hope Hornqvist is a revelation or Kapanen has a Maatta-like development curve.

PH isn't going to be the answer. He makes Kunitz expendable. And will fill a much needed niche. But if we expect him to be a dynamic ES player, we'll be disappointed.

We need that extra bit of skill.

I'd look into Marleau. With Kapanen possibly being an option in a couple years, we really only "need" a guy for a few years. Kule, Beau, PH is a solid core of top 6 wingers for the long haul.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

this is a huge part of why I want Bennett to be on the third line to start the year.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
anyone else feel like megna will be excellent in johnston's system? carrying the puck especially

DragRiver2

Pens fan, hockey fan
Sep 9, 2013
Pens want at least 4 free agents on July 1st

I've seen Kulemin, Boyle, Comeau and Malhotra's names several times. If JR can trade Scuderi, that gives the Penguins room to re-sign Niskanen at 6 million, and re-sign Gibbons like they previously discussed. I don't see any of the previously mentioned 4 asking for a big raise on what they had last season, except perhaps Kulemin. Boyle will not make what he was making before.

Imagine:
Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Dupuis
Comeau-Malhotra-Megna
(Gibbons)

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen
Despres-Boyle
(Bortuzzo)

Fleury
Zatkoff

Thoughts?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
PH isn't going to be the answer. He makes Kunitz expendable. And will fill a much needed niche. But if we expect him to be a dynamic ES player, we'll be disappointed.

We need that extra bit of skill.

I'd look into Marleau. With Kapanen possibly being an option in a couple years, we really only "need" a guy for a few years. Kule, Beau, PH is a solid core of top 6 wingers for the long haul.

It's a good idea in theory, but his cap hit is just a bit high to be workable unless we're willing/able to dump Scuds or Dupuis. If we do that, we can fit him and still add Kulemin, and have a really dynamic top 9.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So I was playing around on capgeek, as one does, and maybe Kulemin and Hemsky can work with keeping one of Dupuis or Scuderi. Kind of. :laugh:

anyone else feel like megna will be excellent in johnston's system? carrying the puck especially

Megna is a player I'm pretty excited about in general, but I think he could be. I really like the tiny faced *******.

DragRiver2

Pens fan, hockey fan
Sep 9, 2013
Also, that gives them room for an extra forward or to bring up a propect. Or keep Adams as a scratch.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It's a good idea in theory, but his cap hit is just a bit high to be workable unless we're willing/able to dump Scuds or Dupuis. If we do that, we can fit him and still add Kulemin, and have a really dynamic top 9.

Only teams who'd give SJ what they'd want for Marleau (and teams Marleau would want to go to) would be contenders. No contender has the cap space to bring on 6.6 mil. They'd retain salary. And I'd be willing to send them a longterm solution for their defense.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jordan Caron might be a decent option for the bottom line. I'd prefer Nolan though.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
Kulemin has been on this team's radar prior to this off-season, promise.

Ok, that does it. I'm sick to f'ing death of hearing about this guy, like he's God's gift to pro hockey

Tell me right now why he's so perfect for the Pens and do it without saying anything about how he and Geno are best friends that built a tree house together when they were nine years old.

Why is he good for this team and the direction it's going in?

Go.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Only teams who'd give SJ what they'd want for Marleau (and teams Marleau would want to go to) would be contenders. No contender has the cap space to bring on 6.6 mil. They'd retain salary. And I'd be willing to send them a longterm solution for their defense.

Well that might just swing it. Let's say we sent them Sutter to help their center situation enough to ship out Jumbo. This is tight, and I'm not offering an opinion on the 12th and 13th forwards, but it does work:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($5.667m—15.00%) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($3.250m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Nick Spaling ($1.750m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) / Manny Malhotra ($0.800m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.650m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Simon Despres ($0.851m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.605m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,665,458; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $334,542

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't want Niskanen at 6 million.

I would hope that most would agree with this. Yikes.

Ok, that does it. I'm sick to f'ing death of hearing about this guy, like he's God's gift to pro hockey

Tell me right now why he's so perfect for the Pens and do it without saying anything about how he and Geno are best friends that built a tree house together when they were nine years old.

Go.

Right, it's not like everyone who wants Kulemin hasn't explained why multiple times on this site. Great question.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Go.

All I said was the Kulemin has been on their radar for quite some time. Much like JR said Hornqvist had been? Or Stempniak in the past? That's literal all I said.

HOWEVER, I have written on several occasions why I think Kulemin is a good fit, so it's out there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad