OT: 2013 Redskins Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
A lot of people overrate Wilson at the expense of the team around him. If we had a Top 5 Defense, an above average OL, and actually ran the ball, Griffin would look completely different.

At this point, we're asking Griffin to basically win the game himself.

This. The Wilson love affair is odd. He's simply not very good this year.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
A lot of people overrate Wilson at the expense of the team around him. If we had a Top 5 Defense, an above average OL, and actually ran the ball, Griffin would look completely different.

Actually, that offensive line is one of the worst in the NFL, particularly due to the loss of Okung earlier in the year. Lynch is just so dominant that he makes up for it. PFF had them ranked 31st in the first quarter of the season.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Phantom PI call won this game for the Redskins.

Disgusting.

Hold on here...

First of the Skins have not been getting the better end of the officiating all year and while that was a horrendous call it was about time we got one in our favor.

Also...how about the Woodhead non-fumble? Brutal that the officials didn't overturn that. Shanahan was spot on in challenging and he was absolutely right. The Redskins should have gotten the ball but instead SD went down to score a TD and draw within 3.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
PFF has our oline at #4...and they said Lichtensteiger has been a surprise, hilarious. Though, Seattle's oline has indeed been bad.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

You know how you get a top-5 defense and an above average OL? By not spending 3 firsts and a second on a quarterback.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You know how you get a top-5 defense and an above average OL? By not spending 3 firsts and a second on a quarterback.

How about not getting hit by a stupid $36 million dollar cap hit penalty due to the idiot GM who signed Haynesworth that led directly to this?

Make no mistake we are STILL feeling the effects of Cerrato and in no way do I blame Shanahan/Allen. They have gone a long way to cleaning up the mess they inherited.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
How about not getting hit by a stupid $36 million dollar cap hit penalty due to the idiot GM who signed Haynesworth that led directly to this?

Make no mistake we are STILL feeling the effects of Cerrato and in no way do I blame Shanahan/Allen. They have gone a long way to cleaning up the mess they inherited.

Having all those picks would've been even MORE valuable, given the cap penalties.

Russell Wilson makes $390k/year
Colin Kaepernick makes $740k/year

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Outside of LT's, Shanny has found most of his olinemen in the mid-to-late rounds. Doubt we spend the early picks on olinemen, we were linked to Blackmon if we didn't get RG3. Defensively we could of filled holes for sure.

FWIW, I was not a fan of the RG3 trade, I actually liked Cousins that year. But w/e, you need a QB if your going to get anywhere. Can't keep having stopgaps like Rex Grossman and Jon Beck.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Having all those picks would've been even MORE valuable, given the cap penalties.

Russell Wilson makes $390k/year
Colin Kaepernick makes $740k/year

RG III is the sole reason why we made the playoffs last year.

I like those two QBs but lets get something straight...they both play behind incredible defenses and their running backs are just better than Morris (no knock on him).

Cap penalty is not Shanahan/Allen's fault. We would have sucked these two years regardless and last year, again, RGIII carried us and was the sole reason we didn't.

Don't be so quick to forget. He's still not healthy fully but is getting there and its b/c of him that he masks our horrible O line and turns Morris from a good back to a top end back.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
RG III is the sole reason why we made the playoffs last year.

I like those two QBs but lets get something straight...they both play behind incredible defenses and their running backs are just better than Morris (no knock on him).

Cap penalty is not Shanahan/Allen's fault. We would have sucked these two years regardless and last year, again, RGIII carried us and was the sole reason we didn't.

Don't be so quick to forget. He's still not healthy fully but is getting there and its b/c of him that he masks our horrible O line and turns Morris from a good back to a top end back.

The cap headache is only going to get worse though. Those teams have incredible defenses because they don't spend three firsts, a second, and a fourth on quarterbacks in one draft, and instead find overlooked quarterbacks after the first round. They can then use the high picks on cheap defensive and OL players which put their extremely cheap quarterbacks in a place to succeed. Not only does RG3 make much more than those two, he also cost the team a ton of cap flexibility as they are unable to fill holes at other positions with inexpensive but extremely talented rookies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
10th in TDs, 6ths in passer rating, 25th in INTs...what Wilson are you watching?

I take it you don't watch him play, you just cherry pick stats. My neighbor is from Seattle and has Sunday Ticket so I've watched him and the Seahawks every game this season. I'm watching the Wilson who struggles to beat the Rams, Bucs, Titans, Cardinals, and Texans. The Seahawks are about as mediocre at 8-1 as you can get because injuries on the OL have been brutal.

I'm not saying he's not a good QB; I'm saying he's not the consensus top 5-7 stud I keep reading about. I actually like Wilson and I wanted us to grab him but the love affair is not warranted.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Outside of LT's, Shanny has found most of his olinemen in the mid-to-late rounds. Doubt we spend the early picks on olinemen, we were linked to Blackmon if we didn't get RG3. Defensively we could of filled holes for sure.

if was noted durning yesterdays broadcast that other then trent williams the entire Oline were FA pickups.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We talk F Mara and if we had money, but when we had money, our big free agent pickup for the OL was Chester, who was not even projected to be a starter in Baltimore. If we had 18M more, lord knows which OL Mike would target if any at all. He likes his OL off the beaten path.

At least yesterday, Kyle had the backs moving up the plug the gaping A Hole.... errr hole in the A gaps.

How about those refs yesterday. Including announcing the ball is at the 6inch line and then pushing it back to the two foot line. Hilarity bonus, was watching SanDogg trying to pound it in with Meathead, and then throwing a 1 yd fade.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The cap headache is only going to get worse though. Those teams have incredible defenses because they don't spend three firsts, a second, and a fourth on quarterbacks in one draft, and instead find overlooked quarterbacks after the first round. They can then use the high picks on cheap defensive and OL players which put their extremely cheap quarterbacks in a place to succeed. Not only does RG3 make much more than those two, he also cost the team a ton of cap flexibility as they are unable to fill holes at other positions with inexpensive but extremely talented rookies.

Wait...these guys inhereted a big mess lets not forget. Not just the cap penalty but all the stupid drafting by Cerrato as well...that is when he didn't trade away picks himself.

We had a horrible cap situation that should finally be cleaned up in the 5th year..it was that bad! On top of that, due to horrendous drafting and personnel decisions, we had no depth on the team.

RGIII is a franchise QB. He was dominant last year and is making strides this year as he recovers. How many years has it been since the Skins had a real qb that you can consider a "franchise QB"??? Easy to forget right?

In the NFL these days, with the rules, you are not winning without a top end QB.

Shanahan and Allen have done a good job at the draft.

How about those refs yesterday. Including announcing the ball is at the 6inch line and then pushing it back to the two foot line. Hilarity bonus, was watching SanDogg trying to pound it in with Meathead, and then throwing a 1 yd fade.

Oh we got a few calls for sure. The phantom PI and the additional 15 yarder for the hit on Garcon.

But really...the spot call and the Garcon 15 yarder would not have been an issue if they ruled the Woodhead play a fumble as it should have been. That would have sealed the game right there instead of allowing SD to drive down for that TD.

Richie Incognito may be available to bolster the oline soon. And you know he loves the team name. Could be a good fit.

haha

This is getting creepier by the second....Incognito's dad apparently has been posting on a dolphins message board and reading it is comedic gold!!

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread.php?346451-This-is-a-joke-suspend-an-honest-player-for-a/page8

I can't imagine Incognito will ever play in the league again when the dust settles.

Last edited:

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
In the NFL these days, with the rules, you are not winning without a top end QB.

Alex Smith is 9-0.

A much more accurate statement would be: In the NFL these days, you are not winning after massively overpaying to acquire a QB.

Current top-5 in NFL standings, and how they got their current starting QBs:

(9-0) Kansas City - Traded a 2nd and a conditional 3rd for Alex Smith (conditional has since turned to a 2nd).
(8-1) Seattle - Drafted Russel Wilson in the 3rd round
(7-1) Denver - Signed Peyton Manning as a free agent
(7-2) New England - Drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round
(6-2) New Orleans - Signed Drew Brees as a free agent
(6-2) San Francisco - Drafted Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round
(3-5) Washington - Drafted Robert Griffen III 2nd overall, after trading three firsts and a second for the pick

Whoops, sorry. That last one clearly doesn't belong.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Alex Smith is 9-0.

A much more accurate statement would be: In the NFL these days, you are not winning after massively overpaying to acquire a QB.

Current top-5 in NFL standings, and how they got their current starting QBs:

(9-0) Kansas City - Traded a 2nd and a conditional 3rd for Alex Smith (conditional has since turned to a 2nd).
(8-1) Seattle - Drafted Russel Wilson in the 3rd round
(7-1) Denver - Signed Peyton Manning as a free agent
(7-2) New England - Drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round
(6-2) New Orleans - Signed Drew Brees as a free agent
(6-2) San Francisco - Drafted Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round
(3-5) Washington - Drafted Robert Griffen III 2nd overall, after trading three firsts and a second for the pick

Whoops, sorry. That last one clearly doesn't belong.

Are you serious with that garbage? I guess you forgot to mention that Alex Smith is a former #1 overall pick, Peyton is a former #1 overall pick, and that Drew Brees was considered a top 15 talent who fell to the 2nd round because of his height, and the 2nd QB taken in that draft. You also forgot to add that Indy is higher than SF based on their head to head victory, and that their QB is a #1 overall pick. So to review: out of the top 6, 3 former #1 overall picks, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, and 1 6th. Facts are fun when used properly, no?

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Are you serious with that garbage? I guess you forgot to mention that Alex Smith is a former #1 overall pick, Peyton is a former #1 overall pick, and that Drew Brees was considered a top 15 talent who fell to the 2nd round because of his height, and the 2nd QB taken in that draft. You also forgot to add that Indy is higher than SF based on their head to head victory, and that their QB is a #1 overall pick. So to review: out of the top 6, 3 former #1 overall picks, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, and 1 6th. Facts are fun when used properly, no?

You failed to read the part where I mentioned that the top teams didn't overpay for their quarterbacks. Who cares when they were originally drafted? Manning and Brees were free agent signings. Throw in Indy if you want (I just went by ESPN league standings), and none of those quarterbacks still come anywhere near what the Redskins gave up for Griffin.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's not like we agreed to give up every first round pick we have while Griffin is playing. They will be able to build around him soon enough.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Better hope he doesn't get Chris Pronger'd by then.

It'd be very Washinton-esque to trade Cousins and have RGIII go down like Pronger,

To your point before, I think it does matter where they were drafted. I'm too lazy to do it right now, but I'd be willing to wager a decent amount of money than the past 10 SB winners were drafted fairly high. As I said when we traded for RGIII, we had to take a shot. We tried 1st round reaches (Schuler, Campbell), FA signings (Johnson, George, Brunell, Grossman), late round flyers (Palmer, Brennan)... We've been trying to fill the QB slot for 2 decades. The worst that could happen? Griffin is a bust and we continue to suck. Had to do something. I'd rather make the trade we did than reach for guys like Locker, Gabbert, or Ponder. Puke city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad