OT: 2013 Redskins Thread - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
False.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/179283923803713536 @ 3:13 PM - 12 March 2012

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/ from the article announcing the trade: "The trade, first reported by FoxSports.com, cannot be signed off on, turned in and processed until the new league year starts at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday [13 March 2013]"

Clearly they knew, and clearly they had no idea what they were doing.

Clearly they did not know. I researched this a couple months ago. The trade was agreed to at least a week prior to your ESPN article, and in that article it says this:

By sacrificing four premium draft picks, Shanahan is reversing the plan he set in motion last year to stockpile picks to rebuild Washington's depleted roster. The Redskins, however, have plenty of space under the salary cap and can be aggressive in plugging their holes when free agency begins Tuesday.

And the ESPN article was written by Adam Schefter, same with the tweet you linked. The article was posted on 11:52 am on the 12th and the tweet was posted on 12:13 pm on the 12th. And the odds that ESPN article was written a day or so prior to the 12th is likely. So yeah when the Skins found out about the cap penalties they had already agreed to trade up for Griffin. And in the NFL its not smart to go back on agreed trades.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Clearly they did not know. I researched this a couple months ago. The trade was agreed to at least a week prior to your ESPN article, and in that article it says this:

By sacrificing four premium draft picks, Shanahan is reversing the plan he set in motion last year to stockpile picks to rebuild Washington's depleted roster. The Redskins, however, have plenty of space under the salary cap and can be aggressive in plugging their holes when free agency begins Tuesday.

And the ESPN article was written by Adam Schefter, same with the tweet you linked. The article was posted on 11:52 am on the 12th and the tweet was posted on 12:13 pm on the 12th. And the odds that ESPN article was written a day or so prior to the 12th is likely. So yeah when the Skins found out about the cap penalties they had already agreed to trade up for Griffin. And in the NFL its not smart to go back on agreed trades.

Going back on a trade less than a day after it was agreed upon (but never filed to the league office) because of an unprecedented salary cap penalty, and a month and a half before the draft, giving the Rams plenty of time to consider their offers would be perfectly reasonable. You make it seem like no team would ever trade with the Redskins ever again.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I take it you don't watch him play, you just cherry pick stats. My neighbor is from Seattle and has Sunday Ticket so I've watched him and the Seahawks every game this season. I'm watching the Wilson who struggles to beat the Rams, Bucs, Titans, Cardinals, and Texans. The Seahawks are about as mediocre at 8-1 as you can get because injuries on the OL have been brutal.

I'm not saying he's not a good QB; I'm saying he's not the consensus top 5-7 stud I keep reading about. I actually like Wilson and I wanted us to grab him but the love affair is not warranted.

Actually I'm a heavy fantasy player and watch him play every week thanks. He's not been as flashy as last season. D's have adjusted somewhat. Having the same issue here in DC to some extent. I simply refuted your absurd "simply not very good this year" remark. It's about as untrue as it gets. Would have been accurate to say not as good as last year, not make a statement that make it sounds like he sucks or something.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You make it seem like no team would ever trade with the Redskins ever again.

Its very reasonble to assume that. Think of it this way. Skins go back on the agreed trade and the Rams are left holding the 2nd pick. Who do they trade with now? Will Cleveland offer all they did in competition with the Skins for that pick earlier? No. So in all likelyhood the Rams would have to settle for less compensation then what they were offered when they initially put the pick out to bid. That would lose the Rams as a future trade partner for the Skins, and other teams would have reservations to deal with the Skins for fear they would bail at the last minute.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Actually I'm a heavy fantasy player and watch him play every week thanks. He's not been as flashy as last season. D's have adjusted somewhat. Having the same issue here in DC to some extent. I simply refuted your absurd "simply not very good this year" remark. It's about as untrue as it gets. Would have been accurate to say not as good as last year, not make a statement that make it sounds like he sucks or something.

Wilson is a good player. He is a leader and a play maker. He is also doesn't have much outside Marshawn Lynch for help. That will change when Percy Harvin comes back. So that can explain his struggles this year compared to last year.

But also consider this, if SEA didn't have a good defense would SEA have a similar record if Wilson and the offense carried the team?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wilson is a good player. He is a leader and a play maker. He is also doesn't have much outside Marshawn Lynch for help. That will change when Percy Harvin comes back. So that can explain his struggles this year compared to last year.

But also consider this, if SEA didn't have a good defense would SEA have a similar record if Wilson and the offense carried the team?

Absolutely correct. Add Harvin and a healthy Sidney Rice and nobody, even the jaded fans are scoffing at an 8-1 record.

Without that D though I don't see a dominant 8-1 record even if the offense was fully healthy.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Absolutely correct. Add Harvin and a healthy Sidney Rice and nobody, even the jaded fans are scoffing at an 8-1 record.

Without that D though I don't see a dominant 8-1 record even if the offense was fully healthy.

That secondary...wow. The Legion of Boom indeed.

OT: Vikes are without their starting RT, LG, and TE this week. No excuse to lose this game.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Its very reasonble to assume that. Think of it this way. Skins go back on the agreed trade and the Rams are left holding the 2nd pick. Who do they trade with now? Will Cleveland offer all they did in competition with the Skins for that pick earlier? No. So in all likelyhood the Rams would have to settle for less compensation then what they were offered when they initially put the pick out to bid. That would lose the Rams as a future trade partner for the Skins, and other teams would have reservations to deal with the Skins for fear they would bail at the last minute.

It's not at all reasonable to assume that. Getting hit with a $36million cap penalty is a very unique circumstance, and the Rams still had plenty of time before the draft to drum up interest. Consummating the trade after learning of the cap penalties was an extremely irresponsible thing to do. Quite insane, actually.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It's not at all reasonable to assume that. Getting hit with a $36million cap penalty is a very unique circumstance, and the Rams still had plenty of time before the draft to drum up interest. Consummating the trade after learning of the cap penalties was an extremely irresponsible thing to do. Quite insane, actually.

Insane? Really? Whats insane was trading a 24 year old Champ Bailey and a 2nd for Clinton Portis, then turning around the following year and use a 1st to draft Carlos Rodgers. But the God Gibbs pulled that off so lets harp on Shanahan grabbing his sack and making the decision to draft a franchise QB.

All joking aside, we could go back and forth forever on this. Ultimately whats done is done. You think the trade was a mistake and I disagree. After next year we will have a better idea which of us was right. ;)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
I can see AP running all over us, especially with our lack of tackling ability.

I saw a stat last night that out of all the teams AP has faced more than once in his career he has his lowest YPG against the Redskins.

Insane? Really? Whats insane was trading a 24 year old Champ Bailey and a 2nd for Clinton Portis, then turning around the following year and use a 1st to draft Carlos Rodgers. But the God Gibbs pulled that off so lets harp on Shanahan grabbing his sack and making the decision to draft a franchise QB.

All joking aside, we could go back and forth forever on this. Ultimately whats done is done. You think the trade was a mistake and I disagree. After next year we will have a better idea which of us was right. ;)

Also trading up to get Campbell ugghgh

Also the Cleveland Browns front office got essentially fired for NOT making the exact same trade.

The Redskins have never had a QB this good as long as I've watched them from the Theismann era.

A good QB, due to the rules, is supremely important these days and I would do that trade over 100 out of 100 times.

Also of note...

Chris Landry said that RGIII was the 2nd best prospect to come out of the draft since Peyton Manning. The best prospect was Andrew Luck.

So we are not just taking about a potential "good QB". We are talking a QB with the potential to be GREAT.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Also of note...

Chris Landry said that RGIII was the 2nd best prospect to come out of the draft since Peyton Manning. The best prospect was Andrew Luck.

So we are not just taking about a potential "good QB". We are talking a QB with the potential to be GREAT.

That's fine, but the Redskins used three times as many first round picks on him as the Colts did on Peyton or Luck, and at a time when first round picks are at a premium because of the rookie wage scale (especially for teams with $36million less to spend than anybody else).

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
That's fine, but the Redskins used three times as many first round picks on him as the Colts did on Peyton or Luck, and at a time when first round picks are at a premium because of the rookie wage scale (especially for teams with $36million less to spend than anybody else).

Yeah we probably could have tanked better but thats a different story.

You don't seem to feel RGIII is worth the picks. I think you are in the minority here. Its fine tho. I can see where you are coming from I just don't agree with it. I think a Franchise QB is EVERYTHING.

Teams trade 2 1st rounders for Carson Palmer. I've seen a team send 2 1st rounders for a coach (Gruden I believe)

If we look at superbowl winners we see Brady, Manning squared, Brees, Roethlesburger, Rodgers etc...these guys are all clear Franchise QBs. Essential in the league right now with the passing rules.

Yeah we can roll the dice and hope a QB like Flacco catches absolute fire at the right time but I'd rather opt for the true Franchise QB and there really is no doubt in my mind RGIII is that.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Brady, Manning squared, Brees, Roethlesburger, Rodgers

With the exception of Eli, the important common factor with all of those quarterbacks is that they were acquired cheaply (with a single pick or less). Guys like Flacco and Alex Smith fall in the "acquired cheaply" group but not the "superstar" group, which I think illustrates that it's the former not the latter that is important.

If you never overpay for players in terms of assets, you'll eventually have a self-sustaining great football team (ie the Patriots). If you're always looking for quick-fixes and trading the farm for them, you'll end up with a mess (ie the Redskins).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think it's easier to build around a talent like RG3 than it is to build around a guy like Flacco, for what it's worth. That helps justify the cost for me.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
We are going to get the cap room back, and we will have first rounders again. It's not like we're giving up every first rounder we have as long as Griffin is on the team.

Who knows how long Griffin will be on the team? His injury history and unwillingness to avoid big hits means it will probably be a lot shorter than you think.

Ovechkin

Sep 14, 2005
That's some great 1st and goal play calling there Kyle. Nepotism at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad