Speculation: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
"Hey, we did well with a 50 point guy as our #1 centre...maybe we should give up our above ppg centre who is better at pretty much everything."

Instead of...keeping him and having a much, much better team? Spezza is here for the long-haul (I hope).

Also this topic is not the first time that Spezza has been compared to Yzerman.

Berserker*

Apparently Condra has filed for arbitration. My guess is that the arbitrator awards Condra more than he is really worth and the Sens walk.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Apparently Condra has filed for arbitration. My guess is that the arbitrator awards Condra more than he is really worth and the Sens walk.

Just heard this on the TEAM. I'm a little shocked. Making me worried about Cowen.

Any idea of what he'd get awarded in arbitration? Who are comparable players?

Berserker*

Just heard this on the TEAM. I'm a little shocked. Making me worried about Cowen.

I don't think Cowen has the right to file for arbitration. I believe an RFA must be older than 23 and have a certain number of NHL games played to have that right.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think Cowen has the right to file for arbitration. I believe an RFA must be older than 23 and have a certain number of NHL games played to have that right.

Oh I had no idea. How do players under 23 resolve disputes then?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Condra to arbitration doesn't surprise me

He's the kind of player that never gets paid despite being incredibly important to the team

I'll be worried if it gets to the hearing, until then there's no reason to think this anything but his agent keeping his options open

Patvolcom65

@Patvolcom65
Jul 4, 2011
New-Brunswick
Oh I had no idea. How do players under 23 resolve disputes then?

(a) A player is eligible to elect salary arbitration if the
player meets the qualifications set forth in the following chart
and in Section 12.1(b) below:

First Contract Signing Age Minimum Level of
Professional Experience
Required to be
Eligible for Salary
Arbitration

18-20 5 years professional experience
21 4 years professional experience
22-23 3 years professional experience
24 2 years professional experience
25 and older 1 year professional experience

A player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of "professional
experience" by playing ten or more NHL games (regular season
and/or playoffs) in a given season. A player aged 20 or above
(or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year
in which he signs his first Player Contract) earns a year of
professional experience by playing ten or more professional games
under NHL contract in a given season.

Pretty much explain it for arbitration.

Berserker*

In regards to Condra, there are a lot of quality bottom six forwards getting north of $2 million per year. Depending on the case Condra's agent makes I could see him possibly being awarded somewhere between Darren Helm's contract ($2,125,000) to just below Chris Kelly's contract ($3,000,000).

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Pretty much explain it for arbitration.

They are forced to sign their qualifying offer for one year and then they renegotiate a contract the following off season.

cool, thanks. It still worries me for the next off season though.

I didn't realize what a steal Condra was, $650,000 salary and 625k cap hit.

Is someone like Gregory Campbell a comparable? 1.6m? I figure Condra could get around 1.25 because he isn't a centre.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Arbitration is just a part of the negotiation process, it usually drives wedge between player and organization, or team could just walk away from that. Peter Regin got the deal done just hours before arb about to start, I think it is the same with Emery. Neither side wants to go through it really. My guess is they will settle Condra's contract.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Arbitration is just a part of the negotiation process, it usually drives wedge between player and organization, or team could just walk away from that. Peter Regin got the deal done just hours before arb about to start, I think it is the same with Emery. Neither side wants to go through it really. My guess is they will settle Condra's contract.

Vermette as well I believe back in 2008

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Personally like Smith, Bogosian and Muzzin on that list. Doubt we would be able to get or afford any of them...but it certainly would be nice. If Melnyk is looking to make some money off the team it will help to go far and have a great team I think.

Getting Smith would feel pretty nice to be honest.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if there is a chance that the Blues let Chris Stewart walk.

I doubt it, he did lead their team in scoring last season. I would love to make a deal with St Louis for Stewart, like moving Conacher, Condra & JOB although I doubt that would be enough but it would help them to open up a little more cap space.

I like Stewart, Bogosian & Wheeler on that list.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I doubt it, he did lead their team in scoring last season. I would love to make a deal with St Louis for Stewart, like moving Conacher, Condra & JOB although I doubt that would be enough but it would help them to open up a little more cap space.

I like Stewart, Bogosian & Wheeler on that list.

He did sweet **** all in the playoffs though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad