Speculation: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Nice pot-shot...but try reading the newspaper or listening to the radio. It's not like we're claiming to be insiders -- it's what is out there in print or audio.

Relax. I won't waste my time reading articles on these guys- I waste enough of it here. If you choose to believe all the media, that's fine.

I did hear something a number of years back that wasn't public.

A HOF player and current NHL GM texted his sibling who has a media tie-in in Ottawa. At the time this texter was a member of Team Canada brass at the WCs. The message was along the lines of "if Ottawa is relying heavily on Spezza and Heatley- they're in trouble".

I've acknowledged that he's grown considerably since then, but if he gets the C it would be for the wrong reasons imo.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
Spezza no question. Just makes perfect sense.

With Alfie gone, the Sens need to start a new legacy and at 30, Spezz is at a perfect blend of youth, experience and skill to potentially lead us for another 10 years.

He was there for our cup run, he was part of the legendary Pizza line, and he played very closely with our former captain - so he knows what it takes to be a great leader.

Even at 30, a player can still grow. Throwing the C on him may put some positive pressure on him to take that next step.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I'd give it to Spezza, he's well respected from the bench and across the league and I think the captaincy will take his game to another level.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
But I mostly just have what I see to go on. I don't have these inside stories like you guys.

A HOF player and current NHL GM texted his sibling who has a media tie-in in Ottawa. At the time this texter was a member of Team Canada brass at the WCs. The message was along the lines of "if Ottawa is relying heavily on Spezza and Heatley- they're in trouble".

Wait a second...

... did you just pull the "I don't have inside info" card in one post, and then in the very next post claim to have insider info?

Dude... c'mon, man!. :laugh:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Phillips is on his last leg, might retire as early as next year.

Spezza is a the natural choice for captaincy - I believe it will only make him a better player, which in turn makes the Sens a better team.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Wait a second...

... did you just pull the "I don't have inside info" card in one post, and then in the very next post claim to have insider info?

Dude... c'mon, man!. :laugh:

Yes from a long time ago. Disregard it if you want. Ignore the word "mostly" and "these" if it suits you. I assumed these tales of Spezza rallying the troops were coming from inside since they weren't accompanied by a link.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yes from a long time ago. Disregard it if you want. Ignore the word "mostly" and "these" if it suits you. I assumed these tales of Spezza rallying the troops were coming from inside since they weren't accompanied by a link.

No need to take it personally, I was just ribbing you, dude.

Also: I'm currently 2 1/2 bottles of Martini Rosso into my evening, so anything I post for the next few hours should probably be taken with an enormous grain of salt.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
No need to take it personally, I was just ribbing you, dude.

Also: I'm currently 2 1/2 bottles of Martini Rosso into my evening, so anything I post for the next few hours should probably be taken with an enormous grain of salt.
Evening?

Where are you, Indonesia?

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
Relax. I won't waste my time reading articles on these guys- I waste enough of it here. If you choose to believe all the media, that's fine.

I've acknowledged that he's grown considerably since then, but if he gets the C it would be for the wrong reasons imo.

The good news is this was clearly from a while back considering Heatley was mentioned, we all know players can change over time as well.....Yzerman would be a good example of a guy who took a while to figure things out, he of all people should know not to judge to early into someones career.

John Holmes*

Dude a preschooler could connect the dots on that one.
:laugh:

Do you remember what people said about Yzerman before he won the Cup? Particularly in his early years.

From 1984 - 1996 Yzerman had all the same question marks around him. His leadership was always questioned.

Same deal with Modano.

1989-1999 he was questioned as a leader, blah blah blah.

Brett Hull: Selfish guy, no team with Brett Hull will ever win the Stanley Cup. Dave King famously said that he was no good and never would be when Hull was just starting out in Calgary.

It may not be fair, but winning the cup makes a guy go from a zero to a hero.

It's ridiculous, I know, but that's how it is.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

Do you remember what people said about Yzerman before he won the Cup? Particularly in his early years.

From 1984 - 1996 Yzerman had all the same question marks around him. His leadership was always questioned.

Same deal with Modano.

Brett Hull: Selfish guy, no team with Brett Hull will ever win the Stanley Cup. Dave King famously said that he was no good and never would be when Hull was just starting out in Calgary.

Spot on.

And Yzerman himself is the best example of this.

He went from a guy who would never win a cup to one of the greatest leaders of all time.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

Same deal with Modano.

Modano and Hull never captained a team to a cup.

What's your point?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'll gladly eat crow if Spezza blooms with the C on his chest. Which I've said a number of times is likely to be the case. It would be insulting to him if he didn't get it/it will entice him to re-sign are not good reasons to make someone captain, though imo.

I personally think that we should go without a captain until/unless it's obvious that we have one.

Put it like this: Yashin or Cunneyworth? I think we're at a junction where we force a C on either version on the current roster. If I had to choose I'd go with Cunney 10 times out of 10.

Herc Man

AmandaHugincis
Jan 11, 2007
Nepean
I'll gladly eat crow if Spezza blooms with the C on his chest. Which I've said a number of times is likely to be the case. It would be insulting to him if he didn't get it/it will entice him to re-sign are not good reasons to make someone captain, though imo.

I personally think that we should go without a captain until/unless it's obvious that we have one.

Put it like this: Yashin or Cunneyworth? I think we're at a junction where we force a C on either version on the current roster. If I had to choose I'd go with Cunney 10 times out of 10.

I'd like to think that most dudes here would vote for Cunny. Ladies can too if they want, never would hold that against them.

John Holmes*

Modano and Hull never captained a team to a cup.

What's your point?

Are you joking?

Modano is the franchise leader in everything. He WAS the C after Hatcher left.

Spezza was already the De facto Captain by all accounts. You're kidding yourself if you don't think he will get the C.

He's earned it.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

Are you joking?

Modano is the franchise leader in everything. He WAS the C after Hatcher left.

Spezza was already the De facto Captain by all accounts. You're kidding yourself if you don't think he will get the C.

He's earned it.

Modano relinquished the C to Morrow. He wasn't cut out for it, so it went to someone more fitting. Not sure what's so funny to you about an honest statement.

I've said a number of times that I think he will get it.:shakehead

Last edited:

Carrie Underwood

Jul 28, 2010
At first I thought Karlsson should get it. After further thought I switched my mind. Spezz/should definitely get it. Karlsson gets the A when phillips leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad