Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Why do the Sens need Del Z with their depth at defense? Ziban is already a fan fave.

Gonchar is old. Del Z is a perfect fit for that team. He's not meant to be a defensive defense man. Torts is trying to force a round peg in a square hole.

edit: further explanation - senators team philosophy will allow del zotto to work on his strengths. they seem willing to compromise defense for offense.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gonchar is old. Del Z is a perfect fit for that team. He's not meant to be a defensive defense man. Torts is trying to force a round peg in a square hole.

edit: further explanation - senators team philosophy will allow del zotto to work on his strengths. they seem willing to compromise defense for offense.

Don't they have Wiercioch?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Here is another MAJOR problem. What is this team going to be? Look around the league. Organizations kind of have a blueprint for what they want to be. Detroit is speed and skill. Boston, size and physical play. Chicago, is speed and offense. Philly is size and aggressiveness. Montreal is skill.

How would one characterize the Rangers? Defense + goaltending?

I don't see a blueprint for this team. I think they want to stress defense. I see that in their drafting with Staal, Sanguinetti, MDZ, Sauer, Skjei, McIlrath and the trades for McDonagh and Moore.

What about their forwards? They seem to be all over the map. Do they want to model themselves after the Bruins? Really? They draft players like Ryan Bourque, Christian Thomas, Shane McColgan, Michal St Croix? Will they fit that sort of team identity? Will Kreider? Hrivik? Fast?

Maybe I am not seeing the way this team really wants to play. Maybe Torts feels like he has to play this way to get wins. But I am definitely not seeing how this team is supposed to integrate those players I just mentioned into a shot-blocking, dump and chase team. They will get feasted on.

Well, with the type of players they are drafting. I would say that they are moving towards a puck possession team ala the Red Wings. Lots of two way players with some skill but not enough size to be physically dominate.

With that said, I have seen nothing from Torts which shows he can coach a puck possession type of team....

I think there might be a significant disparity between what Torts wants and what Sather wants...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dunno, BRB. Boston is handling us pretty well and has quite a bit of success without a true #1 center on their roster. Bergeron and Krejci are a great one-two-punch, but they aren't #1 centers like Spezza, Thornton, Richards of old, etc.

I fully expect Gorton to model our team after the B's if he's named GM.

Thats fine with me. Unfortunately, I dont think Stepan and Brassard are near the level of Bergeron and Krejci. But I think the bigger need out of the 2 I listed is someone to run the powerplay. Chara does an adequate job out there for Boston. Krug, while perhaps a flash in the pan running on pure adrenaline, has looked like Bobby Orr against us.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think we can have that depth as well. It's just a matter of being patient. Lindberg can be a 4th line center in this league right now, but he has upside as well. Stepan, Brassard and OL down the middle isn't quite as good as Bergeron, Krejci and Peverley/Kelly, at least right now, but it's not so far off that it's crippling. It also has tons of potential in terms of growth if you can nurture the players properly.

Nash and Callahan are just fine as our top-two RW's. Kreider can grow into a top-six role. Miller may be able to as well. This team has to stop trying to operate on both sides of the street. Either commit to developing the team you want, and then fill the holes from the outside, or stop clinging so tightly to prospects and bring in the established talent you need.

I think you concisely explained my long simmering frustration with Sather these past 13 years. No sense of an organizational plan. The patchwork approach hasnt worked and it wont work.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Thats fine with me. Unfortunately, I dont think Stepan and Brassard are near the level of Bergeron and Krejci. But I think the bigger need out of the 2 I listed is someone to run the powerplay. Chara does an adequate job out there for Boston. Krug, while perhaps a flash in the pan running on pure adrenaline, has looked like Bobby Orr against us.

Pretty much any defenseman who can skate pretty well always does. The Rangers just don't pressure the points at all.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Well, with the type of players they are drafting. I would say that they are moving towards a puck possession team ala the Red Wings. Lots of two way players with some skill but not enough size to be physically dominate.

With that said, I have seen nothing from Torts which shows he can coach a puck possession type of team....

I think there might be a significant disparity between what Torts wants and what Sather wants...

If that's the case, then they are they drafting McIlrath in Round 1?

I was on board with the pick because I wanted this team to be difficult to play against. I wanted him to be a significant part of that, however he can't be relied upon to do ALL of it.

If they wanted to go the skill route, why not take a skill player? Same with Miller 2 years ago. There were more skilled players available.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Re-sign McDefense for $3.75 (Staal / Girardi contract).
Re-sign Steps for $3ish (bridge contract with a little bump).
Re-sign Hags and Zuccs to the standard $1.75 bridge.
Wait one year on Richie.
If Clowe or someone like Mason Raymond will take a 1yr "prove it" contract for around $3, then do it.

Basically maintain status quo for one more year, and then make sweeping changes if the results are subpar (starting with the coaches minus Allaire).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Burmistrov wants out of Winnipeg. He's a guy I would take a long hard look at.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423761

He would be a nice 3C but I believe Burmistrov came out and said that him wanting "out" is untrue.

He is a bit of an enigma with the way he plays. Above average skills, strong on his skates, good defensively, needs motivation. I should note he is the same age as McIlrath, so he is still VERY young.

Punxrocknyc19*

Burmi for McIlrath.

trade one of the only tough Rangers defenseman.. no thanks..if the Rangers had more than 2 type of McILrath players then maybe.. Rangers need to move some of their so called skating offensive dman

id deal Del Zotto for Burmi over McIlrath.. Rangers have NO toughness on defnese. i guess fans like that :help: i like having Marchand or Lucic wack or skate near Lundqvist with NO RESPONSE.... McIlrath would change that a little.

BarbaraAlphanse

trade one of the only tough Rangers defenseman.. no thanks..if the Rangers had more than 2 type of McILrath players then maybe.. Rangers need to move some of their so called skating offensive dman

id deal Del Zotto for Burmi over McIlrath.. Rangers have NO toughness on defnese. i guess fans like that :help: i like having Marchand or Lucic wack or skate near Lundqvist with NO RESPONSE.... McIlrath would change that a little.

Richards for Kane, Burmi, Byf, and Wheeler. Anything less and i'll be appalled.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I don't think they are either, but I think they can get close to that level. I agree that a PP QB is necessary, but I think Moore can grow into that role provided the coaches, whoever they may be, are willing to deal with the growing pains.

I think you concisely explained my long simmering frustration with Sather these past 13 years. No sense of an organizational plan. The patchwork approach hasnt worked and it wont work.

"Rebuilding on the fly" is a myth. Detroit can do it because they have the home grown, elite talent to be patient with draftees. We don't, so we can't.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't think they are either, but I think they can get close to that level. I agree that a PP QB is necessary, but I think Moore can grow into that role provided the coaches, whoever they may be, are willing to deal with the growing pains.

"Rebuilding on the fly" is a myth. Detroit can do it because they have the home grown, elite talent to be patient with draftees. We don't, so we can't.

I think Mark Streit would be a perfect addition. Unfortunately he's up there in age and will likely require 3+ years with big money to acquire.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Indeed, and therefore I'd pass. Some team will overpay, and it shouldn't be us.

Well, herein lies the problem.

Maybe in a couple of years, Stepan/Brassard can approach Bergeron/Krejci levels (I still remain very skeptical that will ever happen). Maybe in a couple of years, John Moore becomes the PP QB we desperately need. By that time, Lundqvist is in his mid-30's.

...and lets face it, when his game starts to slip, this team is in for a major world of hurt. Do you think the current personnel can develop to the point where that doesnt make a negative impact?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Burmistrov is Derick Brassard, just 5 years younger.

Regardless of what he tops out as, he'll be a serviceable 3rd line center if nothing else.

I like the kid. Were we to get him, it'd redeem for that awful McIlrath pick.

richardsequalscup*

Nobody cares if Zuccarello was good against a soft, Capital team. You need tough forwards in the playoffs. Zuccarello is too small and weak. A blind person could see it. You don't win with players who are nice guys but can't win battles in the corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium