Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What does your off-season look like?

I can only comment on what can be controlled at this point:

-Sather steps down as GM, names Gorton successor
-buyout Richards. No sense in delaying the inevitable
-retain Torts - force him to add an offensive/PP guy to his staff. If he refuses, fire him.
-re-sign all RFA, including Zuccarello

Heres where it gets tricky. That team is not going to win without a true #1 center and a PP QB. No stone should be left unturned in an attempt to acquire these 2 things. This would be the focal point of the offseason for me, but there'd be a set of guidelines involved about age and contract terms of the acquired player(s). No 5+ year deals. I would deem virtually no one untouchable to achieve this.

...and thats the toughest part. Sure seems like a dim proposition.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can only comment on what can be controlled at this point:

-Sather steps down as GM, names Gorton successor
-buyout Richards. No sense in delaying the inevitable
-retain Torts - force him to add an offensive/PP guy to his staff. If he refuses, fire him.
-re-sign all RFA, including Zuccarello

Heres where it gets tricky. That team is not going to win without a true #1 center and a PP QB. No stone should be left unturned in an attempt to acquire these 2 things. This would be the focal point of the offseason for me, but there'd be a set of guidelines involved about age and contract terms of the acquired player(s). No 5+ year deals. I would deem virtually no one untouchable to achieve this.

I think that's fair. I also see a huge hole on the left wing. Hagelin, Zuccarello, Pyatt is beyond laughable. Fast and Miller can be RWers. Kreider, Hrivik and Thomas are LWers but none of them will be impact players next year or most likely the year after.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It boils down to this organizations inability to put a competitive team in front of him. Each season lives and dies by Lundqvist. Sure, the team has made the post-season for three consecutive years, but they did it because Lundqvist was able to throw the team on his back year after year. Sometimes players just want some help instead of being forced to do it all themselves.

Something tells me that having some goal support with a team like Chicago would be more appealing than what he's had to put up with here.

Lundqvists next contract is going to be a tough one. He'll be 32 years old and likely demanding 6-7 years (and rightfully so).

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

The real trick is selling a strategy to Lundqvist. If he gets it in his head that we have no plan and this cycle of mediocrity is going to continue, I think he's as good as gone next summer. If he doesn't buy into it and indicates that he's thinking about leaving, the team might be better off trying to go with a full-on youth movement. He's the guy you need to worry about when it comes to wasting his prime years.

imo rangers management goes above and beyond to make sure this doesn't happen. I think they know what they have in Lundqvist and would rather build a team around him for success then having him leave and start over.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lundqvists next contract is going to be a tough one. He'll be 32 years old and likely demanding 6-7 years (and rightfully so).

I don't think anyone, the Rangers included, would have issues with that kind of term. Cap should continue to rise and goalies are viable players until their mid-to-late thirties. There's also a small change that he takes a reduced cap hit to fit onto a contending team. The guy wants to win badly.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think that's fair. I also see a huge hole on the left wing. Hagelin, Zuccarello, Pyatt is beyond laughable. Fast and Miller can be RWers. Kreider, Hrivik and Thomas are LWers but none of them will be impact players next year or most likely the year after.

Kreider better be ready to make some sort of impact next season, or else the bust word will start to bubble up.

For depth purposes, I'd keep the bottom 6 stocked with capable, cheap NHL'ers. I dont particularly mind Boyle, Pyatt, Dorsett, Asham, etc, but they should all let it be known rather quickly in training camp that those spots are up for grabs and, if a kid proves himself, he'll take it. A little competition is never a bad thing. Had none of that this year. The bottom 6 was a revolving door.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't think anyone, the Rangers included, would have issues with that kind of term. Cap should continue to rise and goalies are viable players until their mid-to-late thirties. There's also a small change that he takes a reduced cap hit to fit onto a contending team. The guy wants to win badly.

The all-time greats of our era (Brodeur, Roy, Hasek) played very well after the age of 35. Maybe Lundqvist is like that. But the landscape is also littered with very good goalies that lost it in their mid 30's. Lundqvist's durability gives me hope, but its no slam dunk.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kreider better be ready to make some sort of impact next season, or else the bust word will start to bubble up.

For depth purposes, I'd keep the bottom 6 stocked with capable, cheap NHL'ers. I dont particularly mind Boyle, Pyatt, Dorsett, Asham, etc, but they should all let it be known rather quickly in training camp that those spots are up for grabs and, if a kid proves himself, he'll take it. A little competition is never a bad thing. Had none of that this year. The bottom 6 was a revolving door.

Very true. I would rather revamp that whole area with players who can skate. Nystrom and Gordon would be a good start.

I think Kreider can have an impact in the top-9 next year. It all depends on if he gets a longer leash to just go out and play or not. He has looked good in the playoffs so far in limited time.

It just kills me to see these super slow guys just dumping the puck in and then getting behind the play when they miss on the forecheck. Powe provides nothing although he could be kept as depth.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
imo rangers management goes above and beyond to make sure this doesn't happen. I think they know what they have in Lundqvist and would rather build a team around him for success then having him leave and start over.

It's not up to them. It's up to Lundqvist. They can throw a max-deal at him and if he doesn't want to stick around because he doesn't have the faith in them to build a winner, he'll just leave and have his pick of just about any other team in the league.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I wonder what it would take to get Eriksson from Dallas. He would be a great LW option. Solid 2-way player on a good contract.

Really wish Nieuwendyk was still their GM. Think Nill will run that team a little differently. Agree with BB. A DZ+ for Eriksson deal is exactly the kind of move this team should explore.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The all-time greats of our era (Brodeur, Roy, Hasek) played very well after the age of 35. Maybe Lundqvist is like that. But the landscape is also littered with very good goalies that lost it in their mid 30's. Lundqvist's durability gives me hope, but its no slam dunk.

]Backstrom, Kipper and Vokoun have all done pretty well into their mid-thirties as well. Not a slam dunk, but worth the risk, IMO.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
:squint:

Yes, everyone LOVES Boyle at 3C, I'm sure they'd be falling over themselves to see him as our 2C.

That's not the only questionable move here, either.

Why would Boyle be playing 2c when I have them trading for a center who was a 22/22 guy a season ago?

Boyle would be 3 or 4 depending on miller, Coyle, powe and whoever else

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
It's not up to them. It's up to Lundqvist. They can throw a max-deal at him and if he doesn't want to stick around because he doesn't have the faith in them to build a winner, he'll just leave and have his pick of just about any other team in the league.

i'm not speaking just about money. I believe they'll make the personel changes, coaching, players, etc. that would convince him to stay. Of course nothing's guaranteed if he's seen enough to prove otherwise....

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Amnesty Bad Richards. Goodbye. Good luck in Tampa Bay.

Coaching? The team was an embarrassment last night. They played like it was pre-season game in the Czech Republic. Those PP sequences were beyond pathetic and sad. The AHL coach needs to go. New organization philosophy. Management needs to take a hard look at the coaching.

Jeff Gorton handles the day to day operation of the team. Final say on personnel. He can hire his own staff. Schoenfeld is out.

Long term contract for Ryan McDonagh. 5-6 years worth $4M-$4.5M per.

2 year contract for Hagelin. He will be a group II at the end of the contract. One year before group III.

2 year bridge contract for Stepan.

Trade Del Zotto for a young forward. Not for a mid-round #1 who will play in 2016.

Stepan and Brassard as the top 2 centers. The Rangers need a 3rd center. Boyle is a good guy. He is not #3 center. No free agent centers with long term contracts. Boyle has had a good playoff. Shop him. Miller and Lindberg are in the mix but they might need time in the AHL which is why the Pack need a new coach.

Clowe is a question mark. The Rangers need size in their top 9. The Rangers owe SJ a 5th in 2014. It upgrades to a 2nd if the Rangers sign him. Katie Strang does not believe the Rangers will re-sign Clowe after the 2 concussions. Those injuries lower his asking price.

The Rangers needs goals. They have too many 4th liners playing on the 3rd line. Too many of the same players. Boyle. Dorsett. Asham. Powe. Pyatt. An infusion of skill and speed.

McIlrath needs to become part of the solution. The Rangers need size and physical play.

Katie Strang

No. I strongly believe that Tortorella's job is safe, even if the Rangers do get swept. Now that is not to say he may not be on a short leash next season, or the team's style of play may not be subject to some scrutiny and tweaking in the off-season, but he's not in danger. Shortened season, underperforming stars, some costly injuries will give him a bit of a cushion. That said, coaches like Torts have a short shelf life. And we could be encountering the tail end of his tenure here

So if the Rangers flop in the fall or Torts doesn't want to add an assistant coach to run the PP,Torts is a goner. Delaying the inevitable. Torts is too stubborn to change.

Brad Richards has indeed struggled mightily this season and I believe there is a very real possibility he will be bought out this summer. Think he's a guy that was hurt by not having a full training camp under his belt and his poor performance has been a disheartening one both for him and the team. That said, I don't see how sticking him on the fourth line helps matters. Scratch him instead

Speaking of Clowe, what a tough break for him suffering two apparent head injuries in a short span since being traded to the Rangers, especially considering he is set to become a UFA in July. Was such a coveted trade target and I got the sense that the Rangers were very interested in re-signing him. Can't see how that happens now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/24586/playoff-talk-chat-with-our-nhl-crew-4

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I dunno, BRB. Boston is handling us pretty well and has quite a bit of success without a true #1 center on their roster. Bergeron and Krejci are a great one-two-punch, but they aren't #1 centers like Spezza, Thornton, Richards of old, etc.

I fully expect Gorton to model our team after the B's if he's named GM.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I dunno, BRB. Boston is handling us pretty well and has quite a bit of success without a true #1 center on their roster. Bergeron and Krejci are a great one-two-punch, but they aren't #1 centers like Spezza, Thornton, Richards of old, etc.

I fully expect Gorton to model our team after the B's if he's named GM.

They are built with depth down the middle though. The Rangers were supposed to have that. Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Boyle.

They are too soft to play the style they play. Boston's wingers are all gritty, in your face guys with the exception of Jagr. Big bodies who can skate, shoot and score.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Coaching? The team was an embarrassment last night. They played like it was pre-season game in the Czech Republic. Those PP sequences were beyond pathetic and sad. The AHL coach needs to go. New organization philosophy. Management needs to take a hard look at the coaching.

I think this is what bothers me. Most teams use their AHL team to groom a coach. I don't get that feeling with Gernander.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I think this is what bothers me. Most teams use their AHL team to groom a coach. I don't get that feeling with Gernander.

I had gotten the sense we were doing that with McGill but am not exactly sure what happened there. I am sure some posters here could provide some color there. After he lost out to Renney for the HC job in 2005, Rangers and him parted ways.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They are built with depth down the middle though. The Rangers were supposed to have that. Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Boyle.

They are too soft to play the style they play. Boston's wingers are all gritty, in your face guys with the exception of Jagr. Big bodies who can skate, shoot and score.

I think we can have that depth as well. It's just a matter of being patient. Lindberg can be a 4th line center in this league right now, but he has upside as well. Stepan, Brassard and OL down the middle isn't quite as good as Bergeron, Krejci and Peverley/Kelly, at least right now, but it's not so far off that it's crippling. It also has tons of potential in terms of growth if you can nurture the players properly.

Nash and Callahan are just fine as our top-two RW's. Kreider can grow into a top-six role. Miller may be able to as well. This team has to stop trying to operate on both sides of the street. Either commit to developing the team you want, and then fill the holes from the outside, or stop clinging so tightly to prospects and bring in the established talent you need.

BarbaraAlphanse

Wonder if trading Del Zotto to the Senators for Zibanejad (maybe more moving pieces needed, idk) is something that would interest them.

Amnesty Richards. Trade Pyatt. Hold Powe on as a 13th/14th forward.

I'm on the fence with keeping Clowe. Need grit, but not at the expense of giving him a top 2 line role. 2 year deal seems in order. Low cap hit.

Resign Zucc. Resign Stralman. Like the extensions RB had us giving our players. Need to sign Staal to an extension before deadline next year though, otherwise, trade him too.

Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Lindberg need to be a part of the solution. Not just McIlrath.

Allow players to gain chemistry together. Don't change up lines constantly.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Zucc-Brassard-Zibanejad
Kreider-Miller-Callahan
Clowe-Boyle-Dorsett

Let Lindberg start in AHL.

Staal-Girardi
McDonough-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here is another MAJOR problem. What is this team going to be? Look around the league. Organizations kind of have a blueprint for what they want to be. Detroit is speed and skill. Boston, size and physical play. Chicago, is speed and offense. Philly is size and aggressiveness. Montreal is skill.

How would one characterize the Rangers? Defense + goaltending?

I don't see a blueprint for this team. I think they want to stress defense. I see that in their drafting with Staal, Sanguinetti, MDZ, Sauer, Skjei, McIlrath and the trades for McDonagh and Moore.

What about their forwards? They seem to be all over the map. Do they want to model themselves after the Bruins? Really? They draft players like Ryan Bourque, Christian Thomas, Shane McColgan, Michal St Croix? Will they fit that sort of team identity? Will Kreider? Hrivik? Fast?

Maybe I am not seeing the way this team really wants to play. Maybe Torts feels like he has to play this way to get wins. But I am definitely not seeing how this team is supposed to integrate those players I just mentioned into a shot-blocking, dump and chase team. They will get feasted on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad