2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)-Offseason FA and trade talk Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I say:

Step 1: Get Brunner
Step 2: Get Grabo
Step 3: Trade Henrique and a D prospect for Vanek.
Step 4: Trade Volch for scraps

1 - Elias - Zajac - Ryder
2 - Vanek - Grabo - Brunner
3 - Clowe - Loktionov - Zubrus
4 - Carter - Josefson - Bernier

Netminder: Marty/Cory

Step 5: :stanley:

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Can we please play a "basic" PP? I'll take 2 d-men that shoot on their offside and 3 forwards. We gave way too many shorthanded goals for nothing last year (I know, most of them were because of #17... But not all of'em) and having a couple of d-men at their natural position would be our best option. It's not as if putting 2d-men up top will screw up the chemistry of a non effective PP?

For the # of PP goals for versus against, our ratio would be dead last.

Honestly, I think that's what we'll see. It seems like that's how Pete would go about it.

Some combination of Greene/Larsson/Zidlicky/Maybe Fayne

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Honestly, I think that's what we'll see. It seems like that's how Pete would go about it.

Some combination of Greene/Larsson/Zidlicky/Maybe Fayne

PP Forward lines: Loktionov - Elias - Ryder / Henrique - Zajac - Bernier / Clowe - Josefson - Zubrus

At the point: Greene - Larsson / Zids - Fayne

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I say:

Step 1: Get Brunner
Step 2: Get Grabo
Step 3: Trade Henrique and a D prospect for Vanek.
Step 4: Trade Volch for scraps

1 - Elias - Zajac - Ryder
2 - Vanek - Grabo - Brunner
3 - Clowe - Loktionov - Zubrus
4 - Carter - Josefson - Bernier

Netminder: Marty/Cory

Step 5: :stanley:

and you were so close :/

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
We can't afford both Brunner and Grabovski unless Henrique takes a hometown discount and Volch becomes someone else's problem. Just get 1 of those 2 and I'll be happy.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
We can't afford both Brunner and Grabovski unless Henrique takes a hometown discount and Volch becomes someone else's problem. Just get 1 of those 2 and I'll be happy.

Playing around with capgeek

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
Adam Henrique ($2.500m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.500m) / Damien Brunner ($3.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.851m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m)
Ryan Carter ($0.775m) / Rostislav Olesz ($1.000m) / Steve Bernier ($0.775m)
Andrei Loktionov ($0.725m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m)
Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) / Mark Fayne ($1.300m)
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)
Peter Harrold ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.500m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Trent Hunter ($0.667m)
Buyout: Eric Boulton ($0.250m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,996,334; BONUSES: $1,300,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $603,666

not impossible

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Depending on the numbers you can make it work (barely). Say 2.5 for Henrique, 4.5 for Grabovski, and 3.5 for Brunner (about his asking price for a multi-year deal). Would have to pay through extra years on contracts though to get it dumb. From there a couple guys (say Tedenby and Barch) would be cut from the roster due to roster limits to put them under. That would allow them to open the season and buy time to either move Volch or Sal for breathing space.

Got to get the Henrique deal done first to get a better idea of room to maneuver. The sooner that deal is done the better.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I love Adam but if it meant getting Vanek I'd do it.

Yes I understand he's a UFA but we're trying to win one for Marty and we're prepared to do that right now. I do it and then hope Vanek signs long term. 29 year old franchise player (especially if we get Grabo and Brunner) we would have a solid young forward core to pair with Zajac.

Henrique is just the cost of doing business.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Depending on the numbers you can make it work (barely). Say 2.5 for Henrique, 4.5 for Grabovski, and 3.5 for Brunner (about his asking price for a multi-year deal). Would have to pay through extra years on contracts though to get it dumb. From there a couple guys (say Tedenby and Barch) would be cut from the roster due to roster limits to put them under. That would allow them to open the season and buy time to either move Volch or Sal for breathing space.

Got to get the Henrique deal done first to get a better idea of room to maneuver. The sooner that deal is done the better.

I don't think Henrique gets anything less than 3 but I guess it could happen. If that is the lineup then we basically have no room for anything at the deadline because as much as we all want it to happen, I just can't see a team doing us a solid and taking Volch. I do agree though that we would be a pretty solid playoff team if we did sign those 2. We probably would have one of the deepest forward groups in the league.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I love Adam but if it meant getting Vanek I'd do it.

Yes I understand he's a UFA but we're trying to win one for Marty and we're prepared to do that right now. I do it and then hope Vanek signs long term. 29 year old franchise player (especially if we get Grabo and Brunner) we would have a solid young forward core to pair with Zajac.

Henrique is just the cost of doing business.

There's no way in hell you do that unless you immediately sign Vanek long term. I actually don't even know if I would do that. Henrique is part of the core. You can't keep moving all these pieces around. Way too much roster turnover.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
There's no way in hell you do that unless you immediately sign Vanek long term. I actually don't even know if I would do that. Henrique is part of the core. You can't keep moving all these pieces around. Way too much roster turnover.

I understand but if you move him and sign Vanek, Brunner, Grabo long term with Zajac, Zubrus, Elias, Clowe in tow. There's your "core".

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Vanek for Henrique straight up is a huge no unless Vanke signs an extension before the team is done.

But if an extension is done beforehand Vanek's value skyrockets

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I understand but if you move him and sign Vanek, Brunner, Grabo long term with Zajac, Zubrus, Elias, Clowe in tow. There's your "core".

You have Zajac for the long haul, but you have 3 more years of Elias and Zubrus and who knows what we'll get out of Clowe.

The fate is up in the air for Tedenby, Josefson and Loktionov (2 on 1 year deals, 1 unsigned still)

Essentially, you're building a team around Larsson, Zajac and question marks down in the minors.
Henrique is a kid that we need to build around, not ship off for a rental who might not even sign here beyond this year.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
That roster turnover is just insane. That's basically 7 new guys in the lineup. I'm not a fan of that. You need some sort of stability. Henrique has already cemented himself as one of the fan favorites and a guy you go to war with when it matters most. You can't have him, Parise, Clarkson, and Kovy all somewhere else. You have to build something homegrown.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
No, I despise anyone who says trade Henrique.

He's one of my favorites but I have no reservations in trading him for a bonafide star. We have no idea what we have in Henrique and quite frankly the kid disappeared last year for stretches.

Which player is he? I don't know. But if I can get Vanek for him I do it. Extension is nice and all and I'd love to have it but if we had Brunner and Grabo here already, and the Vanek deal on the table, I think I go all in if I'm Lou and try and win a cup.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
That roster turnover is just insane. That's basically 7 new guys in the lineup. I'm not a fan of that. You need some sort of stability. Henrique has already cemented himself as one of the fan favorites and a guy you go to war with when it matters most. You can't have him, Parise, Clarkson, and Kovy all somewhere else. You have to build something homegrown.

Well without Kovy you need an elite goal scorer and point-getter in here to cover some of that. I think Vanek is perfect.

I am not too concerned with roster turnover because these guys are professionals and the Devils system isn't all that complicated. If we get all those guys I propose we will have no turnover for years.

Ideally I don't want to give up Henrique. But I just don't think Vanek comes to NJ without Henrique in the deal. He's our best trade chip, in my opinion, outside of Cory. Just trying to be realistic.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so what happens when Vanek bolts to Minny next year and we have nothing to show for it again?

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
He's one of my favorites but I have no reservations in trading him for a bonafide star. We have no idea what we have in Henrique and quite frankly the kid disappeared last year for stretches.

Which player is he? I don't know. But if I can get Vanek for him I do it. Extension is nice and all and I'd love to have it but if we had Brunner and Grabo here already, and the Vanek deal on the table, I think I go all in if I'm Lou and try and win a cup.

The chances of winning a cup with that kind of roster turnover are slim. Has a team EVER won anything with that many new faces? I doubt it. There is absolutely NO WAY you move Henrique for 1 year of Vanek and then he leaves. That is an unmitigated disaster.

goon5516

Jan 5, 2011
There are so many big UFA forwards available next season . Why tie up money this season by signing 2nd rate UFA'S to a couple year deals . These guys can't even come close to plugging the kovy hole ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad