2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)-Offseason FA and trade talk Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoBall

Jul 11, 2013
Stratton (802)
I really hope people don't get impatient with Larsson. He's a 20 year old kid, the adjustments take time. There a bunch of examples of teams giving up on young defense, only for them to become franchise cornerstones.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I don't understand the rush with Larsson.
He's shown a ton of promise, but like with every young defenseman, there are still plenty of holes in his game that need plugging up.

The mistakes and misplays were pretty glaring towards the end of the 11-12 season and I'm ok with the coaches taking a more conservative approach to getting him to the level we expect him to be at.

Obviously, the backup at the blueline last season didn't help matters - but I don't see much to be worried about.

The majority of defenseman don't make the jump to the NHL immediately, Larsson did. He swam for a bit, got in a bit over his head post-injury. The team didn't have the breathing room to take a chance last season, unfortunately.

He'll wow us soon enough, I'm sure of it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't understand the rush with Larsson.
He's shown a ton of promise, but like with every young defenseman, there are still plenty of holes in his game that need plugging up.

I think at some point promise needs to be ffulfilled. I don't think any of us are hoping for a decent defenseman, we are looking for elite.....and if that is the case we should see bigger signs sooner rather than later.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I really hope people don't get impatient with Larsson. He's a 20 year old kid, the adjustments take time. There a bunch of examples of teams giving up on young defense, only for them to become franchise cornerstones.

Like who? Besides Chara because the Islanders are Pejorative Slured.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think at some point promise needs to be ffulfilled. I don't think any of us are hoping for a decent defenseman, we are looking for elite.....and if that is the case we should see bigger signs sooner rather than later.

i agree

he has to at least take a progressive step next year.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
The way Pete handled the young d-men (Larsson and Fayne) last year made me extremely angry. If I see Peter ****ing Harrold or Volchenkov getting their minutes again next year, I'm going to lose it. Enough with sheltered minutes or press box visits. Give them 20 minutes a night, every game.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not saying he doesn't need to show signs of improvement. That's the expectation with a young player with a ceiling as high as Larsson's...

What I am saying, I don't mind if he's allowed to grow into the role we want him to be in as opposed to throwing him in there and expecting him to be comfortable with it from day 1.

With the absence of Kovalchuk, it's almost guaranteed he'll see some PP time.
He'll likely be able to step it up to keep that role, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a short leash on him.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Yes. He isn't going to show anything in the press box. Time for a full season.

Would not be against switching to a more traditional PP with two defenders. Give Larsson some pp time with Greene and Zids.

they shouldve had that the whole time anyways. kovy included.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah, I'm normally not for blaming the coach when it comes to not seeing much from a young player, but Deboer seemed desperate to reward the older guys last year. I consider Larsson's season last year to basically be an extended call-up.

I just can't get over the decision to sit Fayne and play Volchenkov. That...is just not hockey decision making to me, on any level.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
they shouldve had that the whole time anyways. kovy included.

I agree but now with Kovy gone there is less of an excuse to have a forward at the point. I don't want to see Zajac or Patty there.

Lets try to run an actual pp for once.

I think there are a few guys with the potential to breakout and become game changers. Most obvious culprits would be Henrique and Larsson. Never know one of the kids like Merrill could come up and take over too.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Mason Raymond is basically a slightly better Matt Dagostini

assuming we sign Brunner, do not want. we don't need him.

I think we need Raymond (or Jagr) in addition to Brunner.

If we are going to try to replace Kovy's 35-40 goals then we have to get 2 players to do it. Brunner 20-25 goals and Raymond (or Jagr) 15-20 goals would match Kovy's output. I'm confident that these two in addition to the upgrade in goal, would make us a playoff team again.

Jagr is the better player but you know he is going to run out of gas in the 2nd half of the season. Raymond is appealing as he is only 27 and we would get more than one season out of him. He is a serviceable player for the 3rd line and would be an upgrade on what we had last season in Ponikarovsky and D'Agostini.

Brunner signing for NJ is a no brainer signing and hopefully gets confirmed soon.
Signing Raymond would depend whether you think Josefson or Tedenby is a better option on the 3rd line. Personally I rather go with the more proven option in Raymond, which could mean that we might lose a Josefson and/or Tedenby to waivers when we try and send them down to Albury.

Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Clowe-Henrique-Brunner
Raymond-Loktionov-Zubrus
Olesz-Carter-Bernier

Gionta, Josefson

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Volchenkov-Fayne

Harrod

Schneider-Brodeur

Status
Not open for further replies.