Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Assuming we keep Parise/Koivu together - which I think they will...

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Cullen - Heatley
Bouchard - Brodziak - Granlund/Setoguchi
Mitchell/Rupp - Konopka - Clutterbuck

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
Sending Granlund down would be a mistake. He has been paired with the worst performing members of this team all season and his results still haven't been that bad. He needs to be allowed to adjust to the NHL game. He owned the AHL. The only reason to send him to Houston is to keep him in shape. He has nothing more to learn there.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Wouldn't quite say that...he wasn't dominant in the AHL and was streaky. Obviously very good down there, but wasn't like he was 1.5-2 ppg.

I would agree though, it seems like anyone outside Koivu/Parise has been bad for most of the season, and taking Granlund out of the game certainly didn't do anything to help last night.

Try something else...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Cullen - Bouchard
Heatley - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Mitchell - Konopka - Clutterbuck

Man, it's hard to find a spot for Granlund right now.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Sending Granlund down would be a mistake. He has been paired with the worst performing members of this team all season and his results still haven't been that bad. He needs to be allowed to adjust to the NHL game. He owned the AHL. The only reason to send him to Houston is to keep him in shape. He has nothing more to learn there.

Disagree. Positioning, cycle, going to the net, etc. He did not own the AHL. Plenty of things that could improve his game.

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
Disagree. Positioning, cycle, going to the net, etc. He did not own the AHL. Plenty of things that could improve his game.

He did all of those things well in his AHL stint. That was against the improved version of the AHL that no longer exists. Then again he had decent linemates and a preseaon in the AHL so that probably helped.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
He did all of those things well in his AHL stint. That was against the improved version of the AHL that no longer exists. Then again he had decent linemates and a preseaon in the AHL so that probably helped.

I have to disagree. I did not find his cycling to be strong at all. He fell down quite a bit. He also was still adapting to his positioning in the defensive zone. On breakouts, he held onto the puck long. It did work on occasion but that is something that could be improved as well. The only thing he dominated in the AHL was the PP.

No offense but the thought that a 20 year old could not learn anything in the AHL is nuts to me. I am not even someone who is on the "send him to the AHL" bandwagon. I am fine with him staying at wing in the NHL. But I have no problem with him learning more in the AHL. Again, has a prospect ever busted because he spent time in the AHL for a season?

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
JB, since you're watching the games...how close does Larsson look?

Here is my quick/gut feeling on Johan.

I like him a lot. I think his defensive/offensive positioning is great. He's great in the faceoff circle. He makes some really good passes and can finish plays. Like Granlund, he gets overpowered along the wall. He has gotten stronger over the course of the season but just last weekend, he had a period where he fell down 2-3 shifts in a row.

As far as how close, I would not hesitate to give him a shot. However, if he was overmatched physically, I would not keep him here long. I think he has offensive potential that he is developing by playing on a scoring line and getting PP time. In short, I think his defensive positioning and awareness would allow him to adapt to the NHL but I worry that he would struggle in the cycle and stopping guys from going to the net. And, if he is brought up now, the offensive potential he has may not develop as fully or at all.

I see his overall development benefiting from staying in the AHL. But, I admit I am more conservative than others with prospects.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Give Granny a chance to respond, waive or trade kassian/send scandella down, bench Heatley and Brodziak. Reward Setoguchi, push clutterbuck down.

Parise Koivu Setoguchi
Zucker Granlund Coyle
Mitchell Cullen Bouchard
Rupp Konopka Clutterbuck

Suter Brodin
Stoner Gilbert
Falk Prosser

Harding
Backstrom

would be my lineup. little nervous with an all rookie line, but heck its 1 game, why not?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I still wouldn't use Granlund as a center. He played wing for one game and was scratched for one. He's going to need more time.

hokijanari

Feb 4, 2013
I still wouldn't use Granlund as a center. He played wing for one game and was scratched for one. He's going to need more time.
I agree. He needs more time on the wing. Every time Granlund has entered a new level of play in his career, he has started on the wing and after a while he's been moved to play center. Kind of like the running in period of a new car. He needs that. He's not ready to play center yet. He needed time on the wing in the FEL and WC before entering the center position, so how should he go directly to center in the god damn NHL?? I think he might even need the biggest amount of time on the wing there... Yeo, just another stupid decision.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I agree. He needs more time on the wing. Every time Granlund has entered a new level of play in his career, he has started on the wing and after a while he's been moved to play center. Kind of like the running in period of a new car. He needs that. He's not ready to play center yet. He needed time on the wing in the FEL and WC before entering the center position, so how should he go directly to center in the god damn NHL?? I think he might even need the biggest amount of time on the wing there... Yeo, just another stupid decision.

Small correction there: Granlund has never played center in the WC. He's only been Immonen's and Koivu's winger, mostly Immonen's. Frankly I don't think I'd give him a line of his own to center in the NT even now and I seriously doubt he'll be ready for the 2C spot in Sochi. Then again, I've been saying that for a long time and so far he's shown nothing that would make me change my mind. It should be wing for him for now, except in the AHL. He's capable of playing center there.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
So let me get this straight: We are missing a winger (Parise is sick) and Yeo is STILL putting Granlund on center? :facepalm:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So let me get this straight: We are missing a winger (Parise is sick) and Yeo is STILL putting Granlund on center?
An optimist might view it as a vote of confidence for Granlund. Yeah, he's been underperforming in the slot, but Cullen and Brodziak, the other two viable options, have not been exactly impressive either.

So looks like Granny's going to be stuck at that 2C until either Cullen or Brodz picks it up, they acquire a better centre than him from somewhere, or bring Larsson up for a look.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Cullen - Bouchard
Heatley - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Mitchell - Konopka - Clutterbuck

Man, it's hard to find a spot for Granlund right now.

Can't be that hard when you have Brodziak, Cullen, Setoguchi, and Clutterbuck in there

J Bert

Jan 31, 2013
Brodziak, Clutterbuck, and Cullen have been very underwhelming in my opinion. I would also like to see Granny at wing for a while longer, maybe the rest of the shortened season. He provides more than those guys right now (at the wing that is)

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
According to Russo:

Likely Lines v Nashville

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Granlund - Setoguchi
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Konopka centering some combination of Bouchard/Rupp/Mitchell

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Cullen and Brodizak need to be relegated to fourth line minutes.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
given how i thought Granny-konopka-Seto looked, i might like to see a Rupp-Granny-Seto setup. Rupps hands are reported to be better than ZKs and if FSN is to be trusted he "brings a little speed" to the lineup.
heh.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
According to Russo:

Likely Lines v Nashville

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Granlund - Setoguchi
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Konopka centering some combination of Bouchard/Rupp/Mitchell

WHEN will we see Granlund and Setoguchi play on different lines?!?!!? They don't work well together!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad