Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
are we defining top six winger in terms of icetime? because he did look better with a mug and Seto than he did at any other time this year...technically fourth line if you're defining it by who is centering you but as someone said they pulled more minutes.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
are we defining top six winger in terms of icetime? because he did look better with a mug and Seto than he did at any other time this year...technically fourth line if you're defining it by who is centering you but as someone said they pulled more minutes.

I'd take both ice time and the center he gets into account. Konopka's a good 4th line C, but that's about it. He's not a scoring line center.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
well assuming other teams are looking at it that way, "fourth" line duty with second line minutes is about perfect for getting Granny used to the pace of the game...facing lesser lines and D pairings but still logging time. I have no problem with this.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
One of these days on the forums we'll be able to talk about prospects without mentioning Shep.

Realistically even without our mis-handling Shep he was never going to be a top 6 player. Really we just hampered his ascent to a 3rd line center. People talk about shep like we ruined some great top-6 player.

False. Shepp was coveted by most of the teams in the league. Teams were calling DR about Sheppard. Thats how good he was pegged. I firmly believe had we developed him properly he would easily be a top 6 player in the NHL by now. That is an argument for another day however..

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
well assuming other teams are looking at it that way, "fourth" line duty with second line minutes is about perfect for getting Granny used to the pace of the game...facing lesser lines and D pairings but still logging time. I have no problem with this.

Maybe in the last game, because the 3rd forward in the line was Seto. But if he plays with Rupp and Konopka, then I don't think it benefits him as much as logging big minutes as 1st line C in Houston would.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I'd take both ice time and the center he gets into account. Konopka's a good 4th line C, but that's about it. He's not a scoring line center.

Konopka isn't much more than a 4th line center your right. But it was interesting to see Setoguchi and Granlund play well alongside a big physical center who drove the net. Both looked great.

Thats why I suggest Granlund on Koivu's wing...

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
I've gotta agree with the people saying Granlund should get a shot at playing with Koivu and Parise. Granlund isn't the type of player that likes to dump the puck or just crash the net like everyone on the Wild roster is except for Koivu and Parise.

And people arguing about him not being used to the smaller rinks. Sure he's more used to play on bigger rinks but the biggest difference he's gotta get used to if he won't play with MK and ZP is that the north-american players in general isn't as skilled as europeans when it comes to setting up plays being creative.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Konopka isn't much more than a 4th line center your right. But it was interesting to see Setoguchi and Granlund play well alongside a big physical center who drove the net. Both looked great.

Thats why I suggest Granlund on Koivu's wing...

Well, maybe he gets that chance when he can get a little stronger and hang on to the puck.

I'm curious why Russo seems to think Coyle is potentially the long-time RW of the top line.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Well, maybe he gets that chance when he can get a little stronger and hang on to the puck.

I'm curious why Russo seems to think Coyle is potentially the long-time RW of the top line.

I think your right..

And as am I..but I do know he is high on Coyle's potential as a prototypical NHL power forward..and hey if we have that I sure won't complain!

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
assuming we trade brodziak and seto, drop cullen and pmb. and sign perry for decent money ;)

parise-koivu-coyle
perry-granlund-heatley
zucker-larsson-clutterbuck
mitchell-knopka-rupp/kassian

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Everyone is now asuming we will sing Perry? That´s fecthing pretty far and wide.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Split up Koivu and Parise... get rid of Setoguchi, play Butch with Koivu and Granlund with Parise and Coyle.

Or... if Granlund is staying on the wing... we need a new center on the roster as Cullen and Brodziak don't belong in the top 6. Larsson anyone?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
how much more shakeup can we get away with realistically if we can't find trading partners? Larsson is reported to be the most polished, complete, etc of our rookies so I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance, but how? Realistically--assuming the team isn't just going to put a roster player on waivers.
edit: new "kid" line potential, Larsson centering Coyle and Granlund.

Billy Mays Here*

How about they actually PLAY Kassian instead of letting him rot in the pressbox? What a pathetic way to treat the guy.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
well that's one line combo they haven't tried. Kassian with anyone.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
:laugh:

i had forgotten about them. not sure why Prosser is even here. Kass they feel bad about or something.

So... with the Spurge on IR, you waive Kassian and Prosser and call up Zucker and Larsson.

Let Zucker and Coyle fight to see who belongs, let Larsson take center in the top 6, move Cullen to 3rd line center... BENCH Brodziak... as he's been one of the worst players on the roster this year...

If BOTH Zucker and Coyle show they belong, then try to trade Seto so they can both stay when the Spurge returns to health, if not both, then send the one that needs more time back down to Houston.

And for goodness sake split up Koivu and Parise! That love fest of a pair on a line worked early, but Koivu never wants to shoot when he has a chance when he's with Parise! We have YET to see Koivu go beast mode because he wants to dish off to Parise TOO much!

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
So... with the Spurge on IR, you waive Kassian and Prosser and call up Zucker and Larsson.

Let Zucker and Coyle fight to see who belongs, let Larsson take center in the top 6, move Cullen to 3rd line center... BENCH Brodziak... as he's been one of the worst players on the roster this year...

If BOTH Zucker and Coyle show they belong, then try to trade Seto so they can both stay when the Spurge returns to health, if not both, then send the one that needs more time back down to Houston.

And for goodness sake split up Koivu and Parise! That love fest of a pair on a line worked early, but Koivu never wants to shoot when he has a chance when he's with Parise! We have YET to see Koivu go beast mode because he wants to dish off to Parise TOO much!

I'd be down. Get all the guns up here. Can't hurt too much. Provide energy at least.

Coyle-koivu-granlund
Parise-Larsson-Bouchard
Seto-Cullen/brodz-Heater
Mitchel-Brodz/konopka-Clutter

Rupp/brodz/konopka/Cullen (whoever sits)

(Seto continues to struggle call up zucker)

Billy Mays Here*

Heatley - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Granlund - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Cullen - Mitchell
Kassian - Konopka - Clutterbuck

Sit Brodziak because he's sucking.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Heatley - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Granlund - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Cullen - Mitchell
Kassian - Konopka - Rupp

Sit Brodziak because he's sucking.

If we're not calling anyone up and we're playing Granlund at center... then I'd rather this lineup...

Heatley-Koivu-Setoguchi
Parise-Granlund-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Clutterbuck
Mitchell-Konopka-Rupp

And yes, sit Brodziak.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Brodziak is the one guy whose been the most consistent for us though through the years and the one guy I have confidence in to turn it around. I really do, although for the love of heavens break up him and Clutterbuck. Disagree on Koivu, Parise, they have looked good together and we still need a #1 line and I like the way they and Coyle looked enough to give them another shot. I got:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley
Setoguchi-Brodziak-Mitchell
Rupp-Konopka-Clutterbuck

Send Granlund to minors this weekend. Or give him one more shot right now and go

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Granlund-Cullen-Heatley
Bouchard-Brodziak-Mitchell
Setoguchi-Konopka-Clutterbuck
Rupp

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Brodziak is the one guy whose been the most consistent for us though through the years and the one guy I have confidence in to turn it around. I really do, although for the love of heavens break up him and Clutterbuck. Disagree on Koivu, Parise, they have looked good together and we still need a #1 line and I like the way they and Coyle looked enough to give them another shot. I got:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley
Setoguchi-Brodziak-Mitchell
Rupp-Konopka-Clutterbuck

Send Granlund to minors this weekend. Or give him one more shot right now and go

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Granlund-Cullen-Heatley
Bouchard-Brodziak-Mitchell
Setoguchi-Konopka-Clutterbuck
Rupp

Playing with those two can't classify as giving him a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad