Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Guessing that the only thing really holding Granlund back from getting on the top line is his ability to hang on to the puck. He'll be facing the top defenders and the book is out on him, play him tight and physical and he coughs it up. Same reason Seto isn't on the top line. You don't want your top line turning the puck over and spending all their ice time and energy skating back to their end.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
No matter. Both of them. Rupp.

Bouchard deserves a center. Someone who can keep the puck more than two seconds and even pass it. It doesn't have to be anything brilliant. Just standard hockey. :rant:

So.. Cullen propably scores seven goals tonight because of my rant.. :D

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm actually a little bit curious to see the Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley 2nd line. Probably should've been the 2nd line to start the year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I've always thought Heatley would play well with Butch or Granlund. Could be nice.

Sure wish we had a second line center. Maybe wait a couple weeks and we could see Larsson...

That's what I'm thinking....

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Hes getting scratched for one game as a rookie. Big deal guys. He played okay on the 4th line the other day. I think playing different positions and watching the game will help him realize what his game has been missing. We need results. It doesn't matter who "should" be in the lineup based on their name or reputation we need to win.

I do not necesseraly disagree with your post, but Granlund deserves to be in the lineup based on his playing compared to the others on the team :P

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Who comes out in favor of Granlund? You could argue that Kyle Brodziak, based on play, could be sat but who's your top checking center then? Torrey Mitchell? He was out best player in Phoenix. Setoguchi had as good a game as Granlund did in Phoenix and if the Wild hope to trade him they can't very well put him in the press box.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Who comes out in favor of Granlund? You could argue that Kyle Brodziak, based on play, could be sat but who's your top checking center then? Torrey Mitchell? He was out best player in Phoenix. Setoguchi had as good a game as Granlund did in Phoenix and if the Wild hope to trade him they can't very well put him in the press box.

Rupp. Knopka. Broziak. I'd scratch any of those 3 before Granlund.

Do people think Rupp is suddenly going to go from a 6 minute a game player in New York to an impact player in Minnesota..no way.

Hes a 4th liner who is big thats about it. I don't think he will be that good here.

Granlund was very effective on the 4th line against Phoenix. Use that same 4th line against Vancouver.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
We are horrible offensively and we are going to scratch Granlund who had one of his best games of the year in Phoenix for Mike Rupp, the struggling Kyle Broziak(who has been awful.) Matt Cullen who has done no better than Granlund, Setoguchi who has been brutal and Knopka who does nothing but fight every third game.

Stupid stupid stupid. I don't like it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm actually a little bit curious to see the Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley 2nd line. Probably should've been the 2nd line to start the year.
I could be completely wrong, and I hope I am, but it might be a terrible, terrible line who never has the puck. Heatley doesn't win any puck races. Cullen doesn't win any puck battles. So you are looking at PMB as the "gopher" on that line. And even if he gets it, you are going to see Heatley covered in front of the net, so Bouchard is going to dump it to Cullen, who is going to instantly lose it.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
You have to give the kid a chance to succeed. Right now the best way to do that is play him at wing on a scoring line.

People think he hurts the team playing wing on a scoring line..he will do nothing but help a team offensively in that role. He could easily step onto Koivu's wing alongside Parise and contribute.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
I could maybe see Rupp out of those three, but the team just acquired him so he's going to play.

Brodziak or Konopka make no sense as you would again be down a checking center.

I think a game off is fine for Granlund; just my .02

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I could be completely wrong, and I hope I am, but it might be a terrible, terrible line who never has the puck. Heatley doesn't win any puck races. Cullen doesn't win any puck battles. So you are looking at PMB as the "gopher" on that line. And even if he gets it, you are going to see Heatley covered in front of the net, so Bouchard is going to dump it to Cullen, who is going to instantly lose it.

Maybe. Only one way to find out.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Taking a step back and watching the game unfold from atop can be beneficial to a young kid. It's not the end of the world.

Maybe for a game..then what?? Look at James Sheppard. Granlund won't get better scratching or playing 4th line. He has to play with talented players to get him confidence to use his abilities. Which right now are good enough for a top 6 role. His physical gifts however probably limit him to wing until he figures that part out.

Still though doesn't make sense to me scratching him when there are clearly other options easily scratch able.

blah.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Maybe for a game..then what?? Look at James Sheppard. Granlund won't get better scratching or playing 4th line. He has to play with talented players to get him confidence to use his abilities. Which right now are good enough for a top 6 role. His physical gifts however probably limit him to wing until he figures that part out.

Still though doesn't make sense to me scratching him when there are clearly other options easily scratch able.

blah.

One of these days on the forums we'll be able to talk about prospects without mentioning Shep.

Realistically even without our mis-handling Shep he was never going to be a top 6 player. Really we just hampered his ascent to a 3rd line center. People talk about shep like we ruined some great top-6 player.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Maybe we ought to see how these lines play out before we string up the noose for Yeo?

I mean, he put Granlund and Setoguchi on the fourth line with Konopka and that actually worked out pretty well. And he gave them the second most ice time of all the lines at even strength.

Billy Mays Here*

If Coyle proves he's capable of playing a top 6 role I wouldn't be opposed to sending FBJ down to Houston until an injury occurs.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

blah.

Sheppard and Granlund were in different situations completely.

Lemaire did not want Sheppard on the roster, Risebrough didn't want to bring in another player. Lemaire put Sheppard on the fourth line with Derek Boogaard, Chris Simon, and Todd Fedoruk. He played him 10 minutes per game. Shep didn't see the AHL at all.

Granlund was put as second line center right away. He was excellent in the AHL. He's been getting 15 minutes of ice time per game including the PP. He was playing with top six players every game of the year.

Let's talk about this if Granlund continues to watch games from the press box or play on the fourth line with Rupp and Konopka.

It's one game.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Let's talk about this if Granlund continues to watch games from the press box or play on the fourth line with Rupp and Konopka.

It's one game.

This. In the long term (this season), MiG should either 1) play as a top 6 winger in the NHL or 2) 1st line C in Houston. If neither one of these things happen, then obviously criticism is justified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad