Prospect Info: 2013 Development Camp (July 3rd - July 7th)

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
McCarron is going to be a crowd favorite, you can just feel it. He is raw but the tools are there. It's a matter of putting it all together. If he wants to develop his entire game, the Hunter brothers and the London Knights is where he needs to go. Play 70 + games per year with that coaching staff would do him wonders. The counter argument is that the NCAA allows players to work on their game with more practices, more time in the gym, less fighting etc. It will be interesting which way he goes. Chances are Tinordi would still be in college had he chosen ND.

Well, the decision obviously is McCarron's but I would be surprised if the Habs weren't trying to guide him, however gently, toward the Knights. I remember reading that he wanted to talk to the team that drafted him before making a decision and I'm sure Habs management has or will give him some sound advice.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Well, the decision obviously is McCarron's but I would be surprised if the Habs weren't trying to guide him, however gently, toward the Knights. I remember reading that he wanted to talk to the team that drafted him before making a decision and I'm sure Habs management has or will give him some sound advice.

I believe he said that he would discuss his options with the Habs and look for their opinion before making a final decision.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The prospect to keep an eye on is Nathan Beaulieu whom I believe is still best prospect in the organization. Elite skating, 6'3 puck mover. If his defensive game improves a tad he will make a place for himself in the top 6.

Figaro95*

McCarron is going to be a crowd favorite, you can just feel it. He is raw but the tools are there. It's a matter of putting it all together. If he wants to develop his entire game, the Hunter brothers and the London Knights is where he needs to go. Play 70 + games per year with that coaching staff would do him wonders. The counter argument is that the NCAA allows players to work on their game with more practices, more time in the gym, less fighting etc. It will be interesting which way he goes. Chances are Tinordi would still be in college had he chosen ND.

It's a really interesting argument on where he should land up. Originally I went with the Knights, because of the games, type of play, and the Hunter's. But Chris Peter's made a great point of him staying in the states and working on the technicalities of his game, and doesn't become roped into just a agitator/goon position. It's a really tough call, because I could definitely see him playing in the states being better for his game in the long run, but the chance to play for the Knights and Hunter's is also very enticing...

I say London for the overall package, but won't be disappointed either way.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
The prospect to keep an eye on is Nathan Beaulieu whom I believe is still best prospect in the organization. Elite skating, 6'3 puck mover. If his defensive game improves a tad he will make a place for himself in the top 6.

yeah but can he still practice his skating in prison..? :dunno:

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

I agree. I have high hopes for Beaulieu. He not only brings a high level of skill, but adds some size and toughness and a mean streak that's badly needed on the Habs D. Like you said, if he can improve his defensive game and decision making, he could help the team a ton.

Analyzer*

****ing Whitesnake said he'd have a report by 7. He's late.

Just for that he should change his name to Vinnylover.

Thrower does so well when fighting in the WHL because he does have talent in that regard, but just throws them none stop.

Tinordi at least has defense. He needs to work on his upper body strength and balance. Chara was a pretty atrocious fighter early on in his career.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
****ing Whitesnake said he'd have a report by 7. He's late.

Just for that he should change his name to Vinnylover.

Thrower does so well when fighting in the WHL because he does have talent in that regard, but just throws them none stop.

Tinordi at least has defense. He needs to work on his upper body strength and balance. Chara was a pretty atrocious fighter early on in his career.

What????? His defense is his biggest weakness.......Tinordi get tagged way to much because he open himself and don't use his size well.

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
I don't think anyone, who is a true fan, isn't rooting for Leblanc.

I hated the pick but he's a Canadiens prospect and by virtue, I want him to glowingly succeed and surpass expectations given by his biggest supporters.

Sure, but let's be honest with ourselves. The chances of him becoming an impact player in the NHL are slim. He simply doesn't have any differentiating feature, kinda like Maxwell. And it's been quite a while since he's posted good stats.

Dec 2, 2010
You can see how lanky his legs are. Once he adds power and strength in these quads and calves, he's gonna have more control skating backwards and laterally. Granted I don't see him skating backwards effectively ever but just enough to stop momentum one way and turn back the other.

It's a really interesting argument on where he should land up. Originally I went with the Knights, because of the games, type of play, and the Hunter's. But Chris Peter's made a great point of him staying in the states and working on the technicalities of his game, and doesn't become roped into just a agitator/goon position. It's a really tough call, because I could definitely see him playing in the states being better for his game in the long run, but the chance to play for the Knights and Hunter's is also very enticing...

I say London for the overall package, but won't be disappointed either way.
That doesn't bother me because I have a strong feeling in London he would be playing high minutes with very skilled players. Prust played the same role with them. And yes Prust is now a strictly bottom 6 player, but he was a scorer in junior.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
That doesn't bother me because I have a strong feeling in London he would be playing high minutes with very skilled players. Prust played the same role with them. And yes Prust is now a strictly bottom 6 player, but he was a scorer in junior.

Though Prust was never close to a scorer in junior, he was a heart and soul guy.

habscout

Mar 6, 2002
Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Visit site

I heard an interview with McCarron recently which was recorded back in February, and after hearing it I'm 99% sure he will play in London. He said he was supposed to go to Cornell following his older brother John, but he didn't have the grades so he didn't get in. His follow up choice was Western Michigan, so I'm guessing their academic requirements are not as high as Cornell [I know, duh!]. He didn't sound that keen on going to school at WMU as he might have been at Cornell, and he already knew his CHL rights belonged to London. I'll bet his "advisor" will steer him towards London, as will the Habs.

Another interesting bit from the interview was that McCarron was on a line with the team's top 2 scorers. Also, he was scoring at a rate of 23 points after 39 games [at that time]. Those stats must have been the combined totals from the USNTDP games against both the USHL and college teams, because the Habs website stated McCarron scored 10 points in 19 games.

If anyone wants to listen to the interview let me know and I'll post the URL.

habscout

Mar 6, 2002
Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Visit site
Here's another interesting bit of trivia about McCarron. He was named the U.S. player of the game in the gold medal match against Canada in the U-18 tournament in late April. He scored the team's second goal, which was described this way: "... U.S. took its only lead of the game when Michael McCarron (Macomb, Mich.) charged out of the corner and lifted a shot past Desrosier...". The USA lost 3-2, despite outshooting Canada 35-12.

http://u18mensworlds.usahockey.com/news_article/show/250996?referrer_id=

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
McCarron said that skating is not an issue, Timmins said that skating is not a issue. Like he said himself, he needs to work on explosivness and acceleration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad