Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
you know what's getting on my nerves -

this right handed crap. I don't think I've ever heard this as an issue before this year. Soon, we'll hear how many stanley cups are won when the defense had equal right hand to left handed shots.

holy. crap.

I like Franson. he's a good guy, and he's a leaf fan and he wants to play here [as long as he gets his money], and whatever. I don't care that he leads the League in hits. would be more grateful if he would freaking STOP PINCHING when he shouldn't. I give him kudos for whenever he makes a good play - but unlike Naz, Rielly and Gardiner who are younger - Franson [who pretty much grew up within the Nashville's University of Defense they've got going there], isn't that young in NHL standards. and yes, while defense take longer to cook - it's so obvious he's got offense more than playing a good game in his head.

the guy is BRUTAL.

and if you look at almost all of our defensement

Phaneuf - pretty quick (but sometimes can be slow)
Gardiner - blazing fast
Rielly - blazing fast
Gunnarson - pretty quick
Gleason - surprisingly, kinda quick
Franson - sloooooooooooooooooooooooow. the only guy slower than him is sitting in the press box [Hi Fraser]. I even remember commentating once that I really have to wonder who would be slower - Jason Allison or Mark Fraser. So if that's the comparison... that's not. good. ESPECIALLY because Franson makes horrendous decisions this year = not good.

I know there are people who aren't that keen on Girardi - but there were people not that keen on Gleason either, and Gleason has been quite the surprise for us. If we could trade Franson for Girardi - I'd do it - for this:

1: if Girardi doesnt work out here - then you let him walk - and you have cap space
2: if Girardi DOES work out here - he really helps stablize the defense more [in theory]. and then you can resign him
3: Franson WILL be a headache to sign this summer. Let him be New York's headache.

I'd love Girardi I am just not sure how we fit him in our cap this season. When Bolland comes back there will be some shedding of salary, I haven't done the math but given this it looks tight in adding an impact player without moving one of our bigger ticket players.

Franson, Raymond, Fraser, Ranger, Gardiner, Reimer, Kadri all the usual names that all light cap hits.

Nonis strikes me as a guy that does all the heavy lifting in the summer, but if he wants to make a deal. I think Lupul looks the most expendable of our high-priced players.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I'd love Girardi I am just not sure how we fit him in our cap this season. When Bolland comes back there will be some shedding of salary, I haven't done the math but given this it looks tight in adding an impact player without moving one of our bigger ticket players.

Franson, Raymond, Fraser, Ranger, Gardiner, Reimer, Kadri all the usual names that all light cap hits.

Nonis strikes me as a guy that does all the heavy lifting in the summer, but if he wants to make a deal. I think Lupul looks the most expendable of our high-priced players.

Because of all of the LTIR we have received this season we have tons of cap room.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Fraser is pretty much enough to bring back Bolland. Franson, Raymond and Kulemin would open up another 6 mill. I think if he really wanted another deal, he can do it. Also, their replacements may only add up to 2.5 million from the Marlies, so 3.5 million should be enough to make a deal of some kind.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Fraser is pretty much enough to bring back Bolland. Franson, Raymond and Kulemin would open up another 6 mill. I think if he really wanted another deal, he can do it. Also, their replacements may only add up to 2.5 million from the Marlies, so 3.5 million should be enough to make a deal of some kind.

But AHL replacements for those three players would make us an infinitely worse team than the one that is [almost?] getting us to the playoffs. It'll be .400 hockey from then on out to get no decent draft pick and no playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
But AHL replacements for those three players would make us an infinitely worse team than the one that is [almost?] getting us to the playoffs. It'll be .400 hockey from then on out to get no decent draft pick and no playoffs.

Not necessarily. Kulemin is the only one we can't upgrade upon, and D'Amigo is good enough to be worth trading Kulemin rather than letting him walk. Franson, Raymond and Fraser can all easily be upgraded upon. Franson with Holzer (yes, Holzer is better than Franson, at least defensively), Raymond with many players, and Fraser with pretty much any defenseman, notably Ranger, MacWilliam and Brennan.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
franson should be traded

we cannot have gardiner and reilly on the same pairing
who plays defence?

we need another guy like gleason

Manuel

Jan 29, 2014
Germany
in my opinion the only Players i would trade are Franson, Fraser and Raymond.

Raymond could well be replaced by D'Amigo, Franson and Fraser could be replaced by Ranger and a guy like Holzer. I think the Leafs should try to aquire some Picks, cause we might need Capspace to resign some of our Players in the Offseason. Also i would like to see if we can get a secon line RW like Ruutu or Stewart. That would bring Kulemin to third line, if he wants to sign around 2.0 - 2.5 Mio. Girardi i wouldn't give up too much. Maybe try to get him at the Draft like the Sabres aquired Ehrhoff.

Top-Line Up:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lups- Kadri - RW (Ruutu, Stewart)
D'Amigo/ Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson
Bodie - McClement - Ashton/Orr
Holland

Phaneuf - Gunnarson/ Girrardi
Gleason - Gardiner
Rielly - Ranger/ Gunnarson/Holzer

Bernier
Reimer

(Didn't check the Capsituation, but next season the Cap will go up!)

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Fransons having an awful season, i dont care if hes getting points, he makes our PP way worse then it is, i like having two big shots there but Gardiner on that right halfwall is a huge upgrade over Franson.. Gardiner has incredible offensive flair... Incredible. Hes gotta be on the powerplay if not why do we have him in the lineup? Get him on the top powerplay unit with Kessel so they can pass through the box all day!

Fransons having an awful season defensively though, but last year he had a really good season defensively and a better one offensively. Dont give me the B.S that his pair was bottom pair, it wasnt, for most of last season Fraser-Franson was the 2nd pair and playing against 2nd lines. The Liles line pair was usually bottom pair in actuality. Long term, even though hes a RHD, Franson doesnt fit in, especially with the salary hes gonna be asking for, but hes not a bad player, and he has value.. IF his value is very low right now, then i wouldnt move him and wait for his stock to rise, but i think he still has value and we should move him if the right deal skips along.

Raymond unfortunately should not be moved for a pick, hes cheap cheap cheap for what he can do for us and we need his experience for a playoff run. Raymond-Bolland-Clarkson will get it done in a playoff series.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
in my opinion the only Players i would trade are Franson, Fraser and Raymond.

Raymond could well be replaced by D'Amigo, Franson and Fraser could be replaced by Ranger and a guy like Holzer. I think the Leafs should try to aquire some Picks, cause we might need Capspace to resign some of our Players in the Offseason. Also i would like to see if we can get a secon line RW like Ruutu or Stewart. That would bring Kulemin to third line, if he wants to sign around 2.0 - 2.5 Mio. Girardi i wouldn't give up too much. Maybe try to get him at the Draft like the Sabres aquired Ehrhoff.

Top-Line Up:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lups- Kadri - RW (Ruutu, Stewart)
D'Amigo/ Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson
Bodie - McClement - Ashton/Orr
Holland

Phaneuf - Gunnarson/ Girrardi
Gleason - Gardiner
Rielly - Ranger/ Gunnarson/Holzer

Bernier
Reimer

(Didn't check the Capsituation, but next season the Cap will go up!)

If we were talking about this season, since far more can happen next season, then this is what I see that could happen to make it a little better:

Gleason would be better suited on the bottom line with Holzer, so why not have Gardiner on the top line with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson on the second with Rielly, and Gleason with Holzer. It still fits well.

If we acquire a new defenseman like Gleason, hopefully right-handed, he can go on the 2nd line in place of Gunnarsson, and maybe Gardiner will be moved and Gunnarsson can move up again.

Lastly, for that one RW spot, why not try a rotation of players there? We have Abbott, Ashton, Clarkson (then then we get one of our many bottom 6 wingers to take his spot) and Kozun whom all can possibly take the spot. Other than his size, Abbott would be a great compliment to any shooter/rebounder in the league. He also likes to get down and dirty, which is always helpful on the top lines. Abbott is an NHL small guy, who can at the very least handle top 9.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri/Holland-Abbott (depending if Kadri is traded)
D'Amigo-Bolland- Clarkson
Bodie-McClement-Ashton/Staubitz/Devane

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
If we were talking about this season, since far more can happen next season, then this is what I see that could happen to make it a little better:

Gleason would be better suited on the bottom line with Holzer, so why not have Gardiner on the top line with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson on the second with Rielly, and Gleason with Holzer. It still fits well.

If we acquire a new defenseman like Gleason, hopefully right-handed, he can go on the 2nd line in place of Gunnarsson, and maybe Gardiner will be moved and Gunnarsson can move up again.

Lastly, for that one RW spot, why not try a rotation of players there? We have Abbott, Ashton, Clarkson (then then we get one of our many bottom 6 wingers to take his spot) and Kozun whom all can possibly take the spot. Other than his size, Abbott would be a great compliment to any shooter/rebounder in the league. He also likes to get down and dirty, which is always helpful on the top lines. Abbott is an NHL small guy, who can at the very least handle top 9.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri/Holland-Abbott (depending if Kadri is traded)
D'Amigo-Bolland- Clarkson
Bodie-McClement-Ashton/Staubitz/Devane

Gardiner cannot in anyway play against the competition that Dion plays against. He can hardly play defense on the 3rd pairing.

I understand your eagerness to call up kids from the AHL a little too early but if anyone in the lineup gets hurt it leaves us with nothing to call-up.

Besides I don't think D'amigo, Abbott or Ashton are ready yet.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Gardiner moves from the 3rd pairing the the 1st and we're moving out Raymond, who's 4th in team scoring while making 1M, for some AHL scrubs who have proven absolutely zero at the NHL level? And all this before a possible playoff run?

This place is downright embarrassing sometimes.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I would resign Kulemin

I would be willing to let Raymond walk but I'd also move him if the deal presented itself. Either way no harm, no foul.

I would be looking to move Lupul sooner rather than later if I'm really looking to make changes to the lineup. He may be the only real expendable piece on the forward group that could net a return without moving kids, his presence in the lineup is unreliable and he ain't getting any younger. Heart and soul guy though so its not like I'm rushing him out the door

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Lupul, Raymond and Franson to LA for Greene, Stoll, Clifford or Pearson?

probably to big to happen but LA needs a shake up and offense

thinking for Leafs

Greene solidifies the D
Stoll adds a strong faceoff C
Clifford can take a 3rd line spot
Pearson solid long term two way player that can score

Shift Bolland/Kadri to wing

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Kulemin/Kadri/Bolland
Clifford/Stoll/Clarkson - those wings are punishing

also free's up 1 mill in cap space before trade deadline

Also Wideman is losing minutes in Calgary, maybe they'd be open to move him...with some salary retained. Let burke buy some of his prospects back

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
However the goalie market is still hot, so his value may not be that as of yet. Also, why in the world did Anders Lindback get 2 2nds and a 3rd? I know he was a great backup and was young, but he wasn't that proven. Bernier was probably better, and all he got was a 2nd, a guy we could replace (just like we can replace Kulemin and Raymond), a backup for them that we would no longer need and 500k of cap.

Anders Lindback was seen as a project with high end potential. Goalies that are 6 ft 6 in, only 23 and have looked good with what NHL games they've had, have a reasonable contract aren't just given away.

Frattin was well regarded well in Toronto as a 3rd liner with 2nd line upside. Having him playing for under 500K cap hit to the Kings does have a lot of value. Frattin is also a RFA after this season. Frattin at that price is great depth for the Kings.

Anyways I'd expect a package in the neighborhood of what Lindback, Bernier or Bobrovsky returned for Reimer this off-season. Something along the lines of 2 2nds + a 4th OR a late 1st + 4th OR a 2nd + cheap depth piece.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Gardiner moves from the 3rd pairing the the 1st and we're moving out Raymond, who's 4th in team scoring while making 1M, for some AHL scrubs who have proven absolutely zero at the NHL level? And all this before a possible playoff run?

This place is downright embarrassing sometimes.

The return of Bolland and addition of Holland who has shown he belongs in the top 9 is what makes Raymond expendable.

Raymond won't be brought back next year. Leafs aren't contending this year. I'd much rather see the Leafs gain an asset for him that can be used towards making us an annual playoff team instead of just focusing on this one year (see Grabo/CMac two years ago).

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Most those spots can be filled in internally.

I'll be honest, I didn't really think about internal fillers, only because I would like to see some more veteran punch at the bottom of our line-up, guys like Gleason who add some experience to insulate our youth, kind of like the Bruins.

I do think we could go with some internal fillers, to take spots next year, which if we're planning on letting Ranger have another crack along with guys like Percy/Grannberg/Holzer/MacWilliam to start next year, I wouldn't mind packaging Franson and Raymond, maybe sending them for Girardi strictly for this playoff push, and allow him to walk in the summer. Ideally we get something like a 2nd/3rd with him, but even just for those 2 I'd be ok.

Trade/waive Fraser and Frazer

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Holland - Bolland (I'd only trade Kulemin if we had another deal to bring in a physical winger for this line set up as well)
D'Amigo - McClemment - Ashton/Orr

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gleason - Girardi
Gardiner - Rielly

Bernier
Reimer

Guys in red you trade/let walk for cap space in the summer and fill with a vet FA or 2, Komarov and some Marlies.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
you know what's getting on my nerves -

this right handed crap. I don't think I've ever heard this as an issue before this year. Soon, we'll hear how many stanley cups are won when the defense had equal right hand to left handed shots.

holy. crap.

I like Franson. he's a good guy, and he's a leaf fan and he wants to play here [as long as he gets his money], and whatever. I don't care that he leads the League in hits. would be more grateful if he would freaking STOP PINCHING when he shouldn't. I give him kudos for whenever he makes a good play - but unlike Naz, Rielly and Gardiner who are younger - Franson [who pretty much grew up within the Nashville's University of Defense they've got going there], isn't that young in NHL standards. and yes, while defense take longer to cook - it's so obvious he's got offense more than playing a good game in his head.

the guy is BRUTAL.

and if you look at almost all of our defensement

Phaneuf - pretty quick (but sometimes can be slow)
Gardiner - blazing fast
Rielly - blazing fast
Gunnarson - pretty quick
Gleason - surprisingly, kinda quick
Franson - sloooooooooooooooooooooooow. the only guy slower than him is sitting in the press box [Hi Fraser]. I even remember commentating once that I really have to wonder who would be slower - Jason Allison or Mark Fraser. So if that's the comparison... that's not. good. ESPECIALLY because Franson makes horrendous decisions this year = not good.

I know there are people who aren't that keen on Girardi - but there were people not that keen on Gleason either, and Gleason has been quite the surprise for us. If we could trade Franson for Girardi - I'd do it - for this:

1: if Girardi doesnt work out here - then you let him walk - and you have cap space
2: if Girardi DOES work out here - he really helps stablize the defense more [in theory]. and then you can resign him
3: Franson WILL be a headache to sign this summer. Let him be New York's headache.

Top 10 scoring D-men in the NHL:

1. Karlsson - RH
2. Keith -LH
3. Byfuglien - RH
4. Pietrangelo - RH
5. Weber - RH
6. Subban - RH
7. Shattenkirk - RH
8. Yandle - LH
9. Seabrook - RH
10. Wisniewski - RH

8 of 10. Coincidence?

Points from defensemen:
Toronto (top 6) - 97
Chicago (top 6) - 145

Point being, we are lacking in scoring from the back end, and a majority of the top point scorers in the NHL as defensemen are RH shots. Trading away the only one we have without replacing him would be stupid.

Then there is this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440613

The defence is a perfect balance of right-handed and left-handed shots, which was a conscious effort by Canada's management. That balance may have played in Vlasic's favour as he edged teammate and 2010 Canadian Olympian Dan Boyle out of one of the coveted blue line spots.

It's something that seems minor that plays a big role in how the game of hockey is played. We are way to "heavy-handed" on the back end, and in the less offensive direction, which explains the lack of production from our back end. Someone with experience playing defense could probably explain this better with regards to how being RH is advantageous in producing offense as a defender.

Anyone?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Top 10 scoring D-men in the NHL:

1. Karlsson - RH
2. Keith -LH
3. Byfuglien - RH
4. Pietrangelo - RH
5. Weber - RH
6. Subban - RH
7. Shattenkirk - RH
8. Yandle - LH
9. Seabrook - RH
10. Wisniewski - RH

8 of 10. Coincidence?

Points from defensemen:
Toronto (top 6) - 97
Chicago (top 6) - 145

Point being, we are lacking in scoring from the back end, and a majority of the top point scorers in the NHL as defensemen are RH shots. Trading away the only one we have without replacing him would be stupid.

Then there is this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440613

It's something that seems minor that plays a big role in how the game of hockey is played. We are way to "heavy-handed" on the back end, and in the less offensive direction, which explains the lack of production from our back end. Someone with experience playing defense could probably explain this better with regards to how being RH is advantageous in producing offense as a defender.

Anyone?

Chicago has scored 45 more goals than us! Of course there D should have more points than us.

Ideally we would have an even split of Left handed to Right handed D but it isn't the end all be all.

If a lefty is playing that is more effective than Franson than you take the lefty every single time.

Aside from being a top shot on the PP, Franson is a liability at every other aspect of the game and he is no longer some young developing player. Franson is in what should be the prime of his career. Franson gets padded stats from being the primary shot from the point on the PP but put another Dman in those minutes and that Dman would also get padded stats. Franson not able to effectively move the puck out of our zone to forwards 5 on 5 hurts the team offensively but more importantly defensively. PK he is just a train wreck.

When Liles (lefty) was on the top PP unit it operated at nearly an identical rate to when Franson took over that spot.

If we replaced Franson with Gardiner or Rielly on the top PP unit I don't think the PP% would be much different. The PP would look different with both those guys able to walk the blueline really well and Phaneuf would probably go back to using his point shot a lot more.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
LH/RH is a big deal. You have to look no further than Team Canada to see how GM's, with a choice of D-men, left arguably better players off the roster to fit in guys who shoot a certain way.

It is significant with the PP and not just for one timers, it helps spread the box more and create better shooting lanes. It is significant when trying to keep the puck in at the offensive blueline. It is significant when defending along the wall in your own zone and it is significant in offensive and defensive zone faceoff situations.

The level of impact on each part of the game will vary. For us, the PP isn't that big a deal because we don't QB from the point, Kessel QB's from the half-boards. If you notice on the second PP unit, Kadri often plays the role of Kessel and the whole unit plays on the opposite side of the ice.

For us I believe the lack of RHD heavily effects our ability to clear the D zone. You can see teams focus on our off hand D where they can easily force them to make plays up the middle of the ice

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
LH/RH is a big deal. You have to look no further than Team Canada to see how GM's, with a choice of D-men, left arguably better players off the roster to fit in guys who shoot a certain way.

It is significant with the PP and not just for one timers, it helps spread the box more and create better shooting lanes. It is significant when trying to keep the puck in at the offensive blueline. It is significant when defending along the wall in your own zone and it is significant in offensive and defensive zone faceoff situations.

The level of impact on each part of the game will vary. For us, the PP isn't that big a deal because we don't QB from the point, Kessel QB's from the half-boards. If you notice on the second PP unit, Kadri often plays the role of Kessel and the whole unit plays on the opposite side of the ice.

For us I believe the lack of RHD heavily effects our ability to clear the D zone. You can see teams focus on our off hand D where they can easily force them to make plays up the middle of the ice

I agree with all of this but Franson can't be viewed as an integral part of the D simply because he is a right shot.

If a better player is available that is a lefty that can play at a higher level 5 on 5 and on the PK that player should be in the lineup over Franson. Personally I'd have sat Franson down in place of Ranger a while ago. Just giving Franson a game or two to watch from the pressbox could be a good reset for him and it isn't like Ranger would have big shoes to fill.

Looking long term we've got Percy, Granberg and Holzer all as righties down on the farm.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I agree with all of this but Franson can't be viewed as an integral part of the D simply because he is a right shot.

If a better player is available that is a lefty that can play at a higher level 5 on 5 and on the PK that player should be in the lineup over Franson. Personally I'd have sat Franson down in place of Ranger a while ago. Just giving Franson a game or two to watch from the pressbox could be a good reset for him and it isn't like Ranger would have big shoes to fill.

Looking long term we've got Percy, Granberg and Holzer all as righties down on the farm.

Well of course this applies to the effectiveness (not general ability) of the players in question in that specific position in the lineup.

I disagree with the Ranger thing but to each their own. I think the Franson being garbage talk is as overrated as any other 'this player is trash' talk that goes on here.

Long term, I 100% agree with you about the future looking bright down the right side

Kyle Doobas*

Sure, when you're putting together a Team Canada and have a massive pool of talent to choose from, you might pick a right-handed guy over a left-handed guy that is marginally better for the sake of a perfect LHD/RHD balance.... but in the NHL, right-handed d-men are outnumbered by left-handed guys, so inevitably there's going to be an imbalance on some teams. It doesn't stop the good teams from being successful (Ducks), nor does balance prevent the crappy teams from being crappy (Buffalo).

Personally I really can't wrap my head around the idea that we shouldn't trade a guy who seems to cause two goals against for every point he scores based on his handedness. I mean, ideally you'd replace him with a right-handed guy, I guess, but I'll still take a LHD who can actually skate and play defense over Franson even if he doesn't rack up half as many points.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Well of course this applies to the effectiveness (not general ability) of the players in question in that specific position in the lineup.

I disagree with the Ranger thing but to each their own. I think the Franson being garbage talk is as overrated as any other 'this player is trash' talk that goes on here.

Long term, I 100% agree with you about the future looking bright down the right side

Depends how you view him.

If you view him as a bottom pairing PP specialist who can play insulated minutes like he excelled in last season then sure he's fine.

But this year he has been asked to be a top 4 who Carlyle has had to use against quality competition 5 on 5 and also on the PK unlike last and has looked overwhelmed.

Franson was a PP specialist who saw insulated 5 on 5 minutes and no PK time under 3 coaches in Trotz, Wilson and Carlyle prior to this season for a reason.

I'm fine keeping Franson for this season because we aren't a legitimate contender and shouldn't be paying deadline deal prices for an upgrade on him.

After this season though I'd like him gone. I believe the biggest benefit of Franson getting exposed is that it insulates youngsters Gardiner and Rielly from those type of minutes against higher quality competition before either of them are ready for that type of role on a nightly basis.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Best team in the league has 1 right hand shot on defense. I don't think LH/RH D matters that much.

From my experience, most Dmen will say that they can play either side as long as you don't switch which side they play on. For Example, Dion plays the right side as a LH shot, with absolutely ZERO problems.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Depends how you view him.

If you view him as a bottom pairing PP specialist who can play insulated minutes like he excelled in last season then sure he's fine.

But this year he has been asked to be a top 4 who Carlyle has had to use against quality competition 5 on 5 and also on the PK unlike last and has looked overwhelmed.

Franson was a PP specialist who saw insulated 5 on 5 minutes and no PK time under 3 coaches in Trotz, Wilson and Carlyle prior to this season for a reason.

I'm fine keeping Franson for this season because we aren't a legitimate contender and shouldn't be paying deadline deal prices for an upgrade on him.

After this season though I'd like him gone. I believe the biggest benefit of Franson getting exposed is that it insulates youngsters Gardiner and Rielly from those type of minutes against higher quality competition before either of them are ready for that type of role on a nightly basis.

If Franson is a $2M defenseman he's got a place on this team. If he's a $4M D then he's priced himself out of a future here. Simple as that. It's not style - we can definitely fit his style here. It's his wage demand that will dictate his future here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad