2010 Article (Zack Hyman) - How a dad with NHL dreams bankrolled a hockey empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I don't think that's what's being argued here. The original poster is arguing that the media portraying if Hyman can do it - you can do it is inaccurate and providing the full story.

It was brought up on these boards before. There was actually a mainboards thread when he played for the Leafs. This isn't the first time it was brought up.

ah i see, If that's the case then It's a different topic entirely than I thought,.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Kind of a weak analogy. If you start with great sums of money, you have to be woefully inept to not greatly increase your wealth.

On the other hand, if you start with great sums of money, you won't necessarily have the requisite talent and work ethic to become an elite NHL player. It gives a decided advantage on the development side, but that only got Hyman to the level of a 5th rounder.

No analogy is perfect but you can make a fairly strong argument that if Hyman's dad didn't buy hockey teams, force teams to select his son, fire coaches that didn't play his son and buy scouting agencies to promote his son that he wouldn't be in the NHL today.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
No analogy is perfect but you can make a fairly strong argument that if Hyman's dad didn't buy hockey teams, fire coaches that didn't play his son and buy scouting agencies to promote his son that he wouldn't be in the NHL today.

i dont understand how people who watch hockey to the extend people here do can even disagree with this.

that’s genuinley embarrassing for everyone involved. Obviously berkshire presented it in a way to draw outrage, but this is just so beyond the pale of what we should accept in our sport lol

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
No analogy is perfect but you can make a fairly strong argument that if Hyman's dad didn't buy hockey teams, fire coaches that didn't play his son and buy scouting agencies to promote his son that he wouldn't be in the NHL today.
No you can't. It's Russell's teapot.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think the most positive message we can give to kids is to tell them they can't do what they want to do unless they have connections and then teach them how to find an office job that won't be replaced by AI.

Reactions: BMacLeafs

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Grew up in the neighborhood.

His dad was nuts. He rented him private ice at North Toronto everyday after school to run drills/private practice. He took next spending on hockey in an already crazy market to the next level.

I will say this though. Can't blame Zach for taking advantage of the opportunities given to him, and ton's of kids would never have put in the work and dedication he did. Is it unfair he had opportunities like this an average GTHL AAA player wouldn't have, yeah. But, I highly doubt many of those kids would put in the ridiculous hours he did. Also, by all accounts Zach is a great guy even if Stuart is a nutjob who caused serious issues for the GTHL. Hyman is just on the extreme side of how hockey at an elite level (basically AAA) is inaccessible to a ton of people. Rare kids get through because they start young and AAA teams bankroll them (I've heard this is the case with Byfield and the Strome's), but most kids in high level hockey in Toronto are at worst upper-middle class if not outright wealthy.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Ummm...did you read that full story? It's the opposite of what you were trying to say.

There's two different points being argued.

1.) Zach Hyman would not be here if not for his father.
2.) Zach Hyman still had to work his way into the NHL even with his fathers help.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
l
Grew up in the neighborhood.

His dad was nuts. He rented him private ice at North Toronto everyday after school to run drills/private practice. He took next spending on hockey in an already crazy market to the next level.

I will say this though. Can't blame Zach for taking advantage of the opportunities given to him, and ton's of kids would never have put in the work and dedication he did. Is it unfair he had opportunities like this an average GTHL AAA player wouldn't have, yeah. But, I highly doubt many of those kids would put in the ridiculous hours he did. Also, by all accounts Zach is a great guy even if Stuart is a nutjob who caused serious issues for the GTHL. Hyman is just on the extreme side of how hockey at an elite level (basically AAA) is inaccessible to a ton of people. Rare kids get through because they start young and AAA teams bankroll them (I've heard this is the case with Byfield and the Strome's), but most kids in high level hockey in Toronto are at worst upper-middle class if not outright wealthy.

not sure anyone did blame hyman tbf pointing out the circumstance of his background isn’t blaming him. But yeah it’s wild seeing people defend this kind of behaviour, many hockey parents are scum of the earth types

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Money may have ensured that he had the opportunity to play at the highest levels, but ultimately its skill that lets you stay/play in the NHL

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I didn't care when he refused to sign with the Cats, but good for him I s'pose. He made a good decision, as he probably wouldn't have found a spot as good as he has. And, yeah, rich kids have advantages in hockey.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Why is everyone hating on this guy? Seemed like a good take.

I never knew Hyman had Daddy carry him throughout life, it's good to know as a viewer.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Let’s be honest, if you’re spending that amount of cash on your kids development since a young age there’s a high chance you’ll at least get drafted. Most of these players are manufactured nowadays.

I’m interested to know if this kind of stuff happens in Sweden for example?

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
This kind of thing happens in many sports, especially auto racing. Having meddling rich parents can open a lot of doors. Still have to have the skill to perform at a high level. For every rich kid that succeeds a laundry list of them amount to nothing. Good on Hyman for his accomplishments, regardless of how he achieved them. Dude has worked his butt off

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Is it any different from kids who had a father that played in the NHL? Those kids have access to a network that includes people in power at every level of hockey.

His dad was smart to use his money to get Zack the same advantages those kids have.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Yes you can. Maybe they can't convince you - but they can convince many others.
Note for anyone reading this thread - This guy ^ posted a link to this story from Gerry Dee as his example of "convincing many others". The link told a polar opposite story and was in-fact an example of how it was Hyman's work ethic and not his dad's money that is responsible for his success.

Then Divine ninja edited it without comment.

Here is the link:
https://i.redd.it/ch27g7be4mq61.jpg

Yeah if it quacks like a duck...

Don't worry. I'm sure we'll get his takedown of Mike Comrie any minute now. Aaaaaaaany minute.

Reactions: RR44 and danny90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad