2010 Article (Zack Hyman) - How a dad with NHL dreams bankrolled a hockey empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
most hockey players grew up rich, boo hoo

The guy scores 50 goals and people are finding odd ways to cope
Difference between growing up rich and your dad buying a scouting company to overrate you.

That being said, Hyman has developed into a great player.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

Fordy

May 28, 2008

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Note for anyone reading this thread - This guy ^ posted a link to this story from Gerry Dee as his example of "convincing many others". The link told a polar opposite story and was in-fact an example of how it was Hyman's work ethic and not his dad's money that is responsible for his success.

Then Divine ninja edited it without comment.

Here is the link:
https://i.redd.it/ch27g7be4mq61.jpg

I edited it because you have no idea what I'm arguing.

Zach Hyman would not be here if his dad didn't buy the hockey team and fire coaches that wouldn't play him.

That said - I'm not saying Zach Hyman didn't work. That's what you don't understand. Gerry Dee even mentions what people at the games were saying while watching Hyman play:

One player’s father was very involved in minor hockey. Bought a junior team and everyone said, “his son is only still playing because of his dad”

Why would people say that if he was good? If Crosby's dad bought a team no one would say he was just there because of his dad.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Hyman worked hard, credit to him.

He wouldn’t be in the NHL in a different situation or even typically rich like other NHLers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think there actually is that much of a correlation between upbringing and sports related work ethic.

Can't teach work ethic, can't teach desire.

Steph Curry grew up rich too ... he still puts in tons of work.

Even with a lot of touted prospects ... a lot of these guys ... if they had even 50% of the motor Hyman has they'd be star players, but a lot of them don't. Everyone knows players like this, often times 1st round picks that don't pan out ... they have all the talent, but they just don't want to bust their ass on the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad