2000 onward Mt. Rushmore

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Was Erik Karlsson's peak years enough to earn consideration or lack of Stanley Cups hurts the case or the peak wasn't long enough ?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Just for note, there is potentially and actually (for all human and hockey time measures) infinity onwards since 2000.

We must take it as as of now, unless we also take account wind erosion, super volcanoes, continental drift, 100+ megaton size meteor explosions, anarchy in US etc. impacts onto those ever changing busts on the cliff face. After some 800-1000 million years whole site will be molten lava, few hundred million years after the goldilock zone departed from us toward Mars by the stellar evolution of our beloved, but typical G2 main sequence star, Ra.

That unfinished cave behind the busts would be clearly Brodeur's. There are no competition. In the infinity.

As of now.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Mount Rushmore is perpetually incomplete if the stoneface of Raimo Helminen doesn't watch the chosen ones from his own titanic cliff few hundred meters from the main culprits as, as of now he remains as the biggest missed opportunity for 1C+ in the NHL schemes of the hockey world. 2000 was just another year for the Maestro.

1528cae3-c46f-5cd9-a8f0-8d8004169625.jpg

As of now.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Lidström was drafted only a year after Gretzky left Edmonton, so I don't really think of him as a "2000s" player, despite his Norris trophies therein. (This also excludes Brodeur, who won four Vezinas in the 2000s.)

If I were to take this as "players who first appeared or first peaked in the 2000s", then:
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Ovechkin

The problem then, is who is fourth??
Thornton? Chara? Karlsson? Kane? Malkin?

Nobody seems quite at the same level as the 2000s' "big three".

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Marleau, Chara, Thornton, Lundqvist

Marleau because he has the most games. Chara because he has the most games for a defenseman. Thornton because I want to see them try to carve his beard out of a mountain. Lundqvist because he is so handsome and should get carved out of rock.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Marleau, Chara, Thornton, Lundqvist

Marleau because he has the most games. Chara because he has the most games for a defenseman. Thornton because I want to see them try to carve his beard out of a mountain. Lundqvist because he is so handsome and should get carved out of rock.

Ok. That's it! The beard alone drop Lidström out of this derby. We don't know how McDrai's beard grows as they never get that deep in the playoffs, so we cannot drop them yet.

Make it free flowing, wild, and organic, covering all those other lucky ones. (including Raipe few hundreds of meters away)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If you’re going to pick a goaltender I’d pick Brodeur. In the 2000’s, 2 cups, 4 finals appearances, 4 vezinas, 3 Jennings, 5 all star games.
If we’re putting him up there we better chisel in a trap system in front of him

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
McDavid is 49th in scoring since the 2000-01 season with 770 points in 526 games. Let me repeat that: only 48 guys have scored more than he has over the past 23 years, and he’s only been playing for 8 of those years. And there’s a non-zero chance he’ll be top 25 by the end of next season.

From a points per game perspective, since 2000, it’s McDavid, Lemieux, Crosby, and Forsberg, in that order.

McDavid absolutely deserves to be up there. He’s the most talented player since Crosby and Ovechkin and might be even better than them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad