20 Years Ago - The Lockout

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I joined the HF Boards 20 years ago today. The looming loss of the start of the season had set me off scouring the internet for information and, as an Islander fan, misery loves company so here I wound up. I couldn't help but wonder how was Sven Butchenson spending his summer and whether or not Maplletoft or Papineau was the better Justin? That young firebrand Steve Stirling was at the helm and we were fresh off a 10ish point improvement and a humiliating first round exit at the hands of the Bolts. I remember thinking that Kenny Jonsson's face was about 6 shades redder than usual while he chased little Marty St. Louis around the ice. What great times!

The draft was business as usual in that era. We drafted Nokelainen with Chipchura still on the board. What folly. Two prospects would follow that were widely discussed on these boards; Steven Regier and Wes O'Neil. Blake Comeau, 2nd round, would last about 15 years in the league. He scored 24 goals and we waived him the next year. I honestly don't remember why but It came after Capuano took over from Gordon. That ruined Bailey as well.

In any case, thanks for the conversation over the years and the GDTs. LGI !

P.S.- this is a decent read:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
How about the 94-95 lockout. I used to play pickup hockey during the week at Sports Plus right after Travis Green rented the ice in the mornings prior to our game...:)
Pat the Zamboni guy was a good dude, Wasn't adverse to popping into the dressing room for a beer after the late game. Sucked to lose the only rink on the Island with a bar upstairs.

Reactions: islesmb

scott99

May 13, 2005
The lockout was brutal. A black eye for the NHL. I’m thankful that they were able to get past that even after a bump in the road 10 years ago.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I joined the HF Boards 20 years ago today. The looming loss of the start of the season had set me off scouring the internet for information and, as an Islander fan, misery loves company so here I wound up. I couldn't help but wonder how was Sven Butchenson spending his summer and whether or not Maplletoft or Papineau was the better Justin? That young firebrand Steve Stirling was at the helm and we were fresh off a 10ish point improvement and a humiliating first round exit at the hands of the Bolts. I remember thinking that Kenny Jonsson's face was about 6 shades redder than usual while he chased little Marty St. Louis around the ice. What great times!

The draft was business as usual in that era. We drafted Nokelainen with Chipchura still on the board. What folly. Two prospects would follow that were widely discussed on these boards; Steven Regier and Wes O'Neil. Blake Comeau, 2nd round, would last about 15 years in the league. He scored 24 goals and we waived him the next year. I honestly don't remember why but It came after Capuano took over from Gordon. That ruined Bailey as well.

Great memories ! I remember thinking Wes O’Neil was going to be a stud.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Great memories ! I remember thinking Wes O’Neil was going to be a stud.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Love reading threads like these about what you all thought back then. I was in elementary school back then. I have vivid memories of my dad excited for Jeff Tambellini back then.

Reactions: mm11

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
It was the worst to keep following the news and there was no end in sight.

It was also during my freshman year of college and we started an NHL 2005 league on PS2 across the floor to keep it all going... I would usually get lit up by soft goals from Dipietro as I had the Isles.

The double whammy was having no NHL and witnessing the Yankees having the historic choke job that October (while I was surrounded by Boston fans).

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
I still remember posting on the board in the Nassau Community College Library between classes. I never migrated when they moved from the perl forum script that published IPS. Just lurked for for a decade plus until I finally relented and regged.

Reactions: crashthenet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad