20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Like others have said, it has absolutely nothing to do with the draft pick position (especially now that Brackett has been booted and Delorme/Weisbrod/Benning Jr. seemingly have a bigger hand in the draft), it's all about starting a a top to bottom organization gutting.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
The day management is fired, will be one of the greatest days in franchise history

Until Benning is replaced by Chia, and Aqua has a press release stating "We've been rolling with the apprentice for long enough, it's about time we hired the master."

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Guess what's inside this

GregariousAnimatedCassowary-small.gif

that's right, you guessed it

AdeptTenderFlyingfox-size_restricted.gif

The tank thread.

It's going places.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
While I can't say I'm on Team Tank per se, I've been saying since last spring that this season would be the ideal one to start absorbing the inevitable pain of the cap squeeze rather than extending it. That's why I wasn't troubled with not re-signing Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli. Most likely end result would've been a short-term boon but a long-term bane. People aren't paying $50 - $200 to sit there and watch a tanking team, and the franchise isn't foregoing a chance for big playoff revenues because there won't be 18,000 people buying tickets for playoff games. Trade the likes of Pearson/Sutter/Benn as the deadline nears, get a high draft pick and start putting things in order for the future.

What I've been saying the whole time about this is what the focus should be on here is that for Benning to achieve his goal and retain employment he needed the short term option. But the point is he's not doing a Nonis here where he doesn't sell out the teams future to acquire Brad Richards and save his job, we already saw Benning last season dump a lot of futures acquiering Miller and Toffoli plus handing out risky long term contracts to Myers and Ferland to gain that coveted playoff spot and save his job. But no, he had the option to retain some of these guys but he just bungled it chasing after other players (OEL, Holtby, etc) thinking that would make the team better or at least have no negative impact.

So basically the same thing he did in the 2015 off season, and highlights the fundamental point I've been saying this whole time that no matter how much time you give Jim Benning he will never be able to build a winner.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are in a somewhat unique situation, quite different than a normal 'tank year'. The thought usually is that a putrid regular season will enhance one's draft position, by increasing the odds of winning the lottery.

But for Canucks, a full-on tank will increase the likelihood that ownership lowers the boom on this lackluster management group. And that might be the more important development than anything that happens in the draft.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Management should now be trying aggressively to unload as many of the older vets as they can, along with some of the younger players that don't look like they have a future on a contender. ...

Could we change that to "New management should be appointed to try to aggressively unload ..."

I fear that current management making those trades would be about as successful giving Kassian for Prust and adding, or giving McCann for Gudbranson-and adding, or giving Bonino for Sutter-and adding and adding ...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Could we change that to "New management should be appointed to try to aggressively unload ..."

I fear that current management making those trades would be about as successful giving Kassian for Prust and adding, or giving McCann for Gudbranson-and adding, or giving Bonino for Sutter-and adding and adding ...

That's certainly a reasonable fear. There's a bit of protection in the fact that the Canucks currently have no cap room, so they can't make certain sorts of trades. But it's not much comfort.

The strongest reason to cheer for losses (and extra-time games elsewhere) is that a really grim season—say a bottom four finish—will make it very difficult for ownership to stay with Benning et al, perhaps even making a change before the deadline.

I'm even cheering for the Leafs to do well, because the more dramatic the contrast is between their approach early in their tank and that of the Canucks, the better.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
That's certainly a reasonable fear. There's a bit of protection in the fact that the Canucks currently have no cap room, so they can't make certain sorts of trades. But it's not much comfort.

The strongest reason to cheer for losses (and extra-time games elsewhere) is that a really grim season—say a bottom four finish—will make it very difficult for ownership to stay with Benning et al, perhaps even making a change before the deadline.

I'm even cheering for the Leafs to do well, because the more dramatic the contrast is between their approach early in their tank and that of the Canucks, the better.

There's no limit to the number of 2nd round picks a GM can give away.

Well, until the universe implodes or turns into a swamp of entropy. I always forget which.

Reactions: Luckylarry

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Ok people. Enough with the tank gifs. We get it. This is the tank thread.

Thanks.

Let's discuss the keys to tomorrows game. You think they lose big time? Will Roussel take more stupid penalties? Blown leads?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Please change thread title to Frank the tank thread. Also first game in the north since the thread came out is a 3 pointer.

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad