20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Keep rolling. Can't wait to see Benning's excuse for this year.

Edit: Travis Green still saying "Your going to have games in the NHL where you don't play well"hahaha...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:Ok please just lose every single game from now on in a blowout.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Keep rolling. Can't wait to see Benning's excuse for this year.

Edit: Travis Green still saying "Your going to have games in the NHL where you don't play well"hahaha...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:Ok please just lose every single game from now on in a blowout.

It's one of those boiler plate vanilla statements that's almost completely meaningless. But given the circumstances, you'd THINK he would say something that shows his and the team's willingness to take responsibility and be accountable for what's on ice.

Then again, this is the same coach who thinks Roussel is totally awesome, so...

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Strong tank game last night. I missed it for obvious reasons (we suck ass), but checking the box score this morning was a nice start to the day.

Keep it up, tank commander. More games like this to ensure Benning is unemployed come seasons end

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Steal a win in the first game against MTL, move within 3 points, and pressure ramps up.

Next game, pressure is on to move within 1 point (we'll ignore the five games MTL has in hand) and the team responds with Demko giving them great goaltending - and we get a 5-1 loss.

Like I said, anyone can walk a 2by4 when there is no pressure, no expectations, no consequences. This team will continue to drift, behind MTL.

I expect a closer game coming up, but ultimately the more the Canucks narrow the gap, the more they will choke and fold like a cheap tent. The more the gap widens, the better the Canucks will play until the pressure is on again. It won't be enough to make playoffs.

Mediocrity purgatory. I wonder who first came up with that phrase. (oh, gawddammitt @racerjoe and @y2kcanucks - at least I made it famous)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are four games below .500 and have still played five more games than anybody else. They're done, even if the spin-doctors in the front office and amongst the coaches, bravely say otherwise.

The only question to be determined is whether the Canucks can make use of what remains of the season. If they keep playing veterans like Benn, Hamonic, Sutter, Roussel and Beagle night after night and end up going over the cliff anyway, then the season will be an almost complete washout.

About the only 'positives' so far, is the play of Demko and Hoglander. And I supposed Boeser has had a bounce-back season. But that's about it.

The unfortunate reality is that they've got a coach with no contract for next season, who's unlikely to be around once the season comes to a merciful conclusion. So expecting him to start experimenting with the lineup is probably unrealistic.

But until the owner steps up and says 'this isn't good enough'. Then change is unlikely as well.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Steal a win in the first game against MTL, move within 3 points, and pressure ramps up.

Next game, pressure is on to move within 1 point (we'll ignore the five games MTL has in hand) and the team responds with Demko giving them great goaltending - and we get a 5-1 loss.

Like I said, anyone can walk a 2by4 when there is no pressure, no expectations, no consequences. This team will continue to drift, behind MTL.

I expect a closer game coming up, but ultimately the more the Canucks narrow the gap, the more they will choke and fold like a cheap tent. The more the gap widens, the better the Canucks will play until the pressure is on again. It won't be enough to make playoffs.

Mediocrity purgatory. I wonder who first came up with that phrase. (oh, gawddammitt @racerjoe and @y2kcanucks - at least I made it famous)

Been busy with a new job/career, I checked the score and decided I picked a good game to miss!

If we got to mediocrity this season that would be a win.

Reactions: I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leafs, Jets, Flames and Canadians all either picked up two points, or a single loser point. Really underscores how impossible it is for this Canuck to mount any sort of challenge to the playoffs in the North Division. Tomorrow the Oilers host the Sens in an almost guaranteed win night.

The trouble is, the standings won't reflect just how badly the Canucks are out of it, because other teams still have to make up 'games in hand'.

It might be forlorn hope, but all you can do is cross your fingers that Benning and Canucks come to a sobering does of reality and start dealing, even before the deadline.

Benn, Sutter, Hamonic and Edler are all on expiring contracts. Surely they can help somebody.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Leafs, Jets, Flames and Canadians all either picked up two points, or a single loser point. Really underscores how impossible it is for this Canuck to mount any sort of challenge to the playoffs in the North Division. Tomorrow the Oilers host the Sens in an almost guaranteed win night.

The trouble is, the standings won't reflect just how badly the Canucks are out of it, because other teams still have to make up 'games in hand'.

It might be forlorn hope, but all you can do is cross your fingers that Benning and Canucks come to a sobering does of reality and start dealing, even before the deadline.

Benn, Sutter, Hamonic and Edler are all on expiring contracts. Surely they can help somebody.

Benning sobering? Rumor says it happened once, and this is how it ended up:

*May not be 100% accurate may contain dramatization.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
guys.... pls understand Benning is probably going to be around even if we finish dead last.... he has a plan in place to make us ultra competitive in 2 years time. Not kidding. his plan is probably once the Erickssons, Rousell Beagle contracts fall off, he's going to make another big useless UFA signing, screw off Jim Benning.

I don't the gap that wide between the 1st pick to the 9th pick. We "should" be able to add another player that should be contributor to our top 6 or top 4, I know there is really no Stamkos, Ekblad level player but we add an important piece hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He is breaking franchise records. If the Canucks don't want to pay him at least $7 then they may as well trade him now and get something for him.

You don’t trade a second year D-man that can do the things he does. Learning his position is something that can actually happen under a decent staff. His offense can’t be taught,

People need to not casually toss trading him around. You are literally talking about a D-man who is doing things we haven’t seen done since Leetch was a young player.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You don’t trade a second year D-man that can do the things he does. Learning his position is something that can actually happen under a decent staff. His offense can’t be taught,

People need to not casually toss trading him around. You are literally talking about a D-man who is doing things we haven’t seen done since Leetch was a young player.

well said. I personally think he's ok for 21 year old, teams in our div know that pressure on him and out muscling him is the way to do it right now until he can develop more lower and upper body strength over time.

Lot more video coaching too and I think he is kinda over played because we are often playing from behind, and the game are to packed in for him to get some rest, now I'm making stupid excuse I admit Hughes needs to work on his d game but I like him a lot and he will improve.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Both Montreal and Edmonton are on 68 point paces. I think the fourth seed will probably settle out around 63-64 points (93 points over 82 games). But at 68 points, the Canucks magic number to miss the playoffs would be 7.

Reactions: lindgren

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I dunno, it obviously looks dumb, but once you've passed off the stick, all you can really do is try to be in position to get in shooting lanes.

And it looks like he attempted two blocks, the second going all the way down on the ice. I mean, body language was lackadaisical, but surprisingly effective given no stick.

As an aside, like @Johnny Canucker says, just go get a stick from the bench, the team can deal with a 5v4 for the 6 seconds it takes.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
There's a stretch of games at the end of April/beginning of May where we play 4 in a row against Ottawa with 2 against Toronto before and after that I feel like has a chance to mess up our draft odds. We almost always go on a winning streak to end the season in years when we're picking high, I think Toronto will have its foot off the gas and Ottawa is Ottawa, there's a chance we could come out of that stretch with 10 points or so

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If JT Miller was my kid and had a shift like that during a game, we'd be talking about it for awhile in the car ride home. It's like he's so embarrassed to be on a losing team that he has no problem continuing to embarrass himself (and his team).

Last year you could easily tell your child to "play like Miller....look at him...smart...strong....2ooft player....works hard.." this year, you're telling your kid to play anything but like Miller....inconsistent efforts, showing up teammates, screaming at teammates.....it's inmates running the asylum type stuff.

I get losing sucks. I get being a highly emotional person. I don't get wanting to make it worse. He's going through the motions, but it's like he wants us to see he's just going through the motions.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006

I'm not at all advocating trading Hughes. All I am saying is if the team doesn't think he is worth $7 and try low-balling him then they may as well trade him and get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad