20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Steal a win in the first game against MTL, move within 3 points, and pressure ramps up.

Next game, pressure is on to move within 1 point (we'll ignore the five games MTL has in hand) and the team responds with Demko giving them great goaltending - and we get a 5-1 loss.

Like I said, anyone can walk a 2by4 when there is no pressure, no expectations, no consequences. This team will continue to drift, behind MTL.

I expect a closer game coming up, but ultimately the more the Canucks narrow the gap, the more they will choke and fold like a cheap tent. The more the gap widens, the better the Canucks will play until the pressure is on again. It won't be enough to make playoffs.

Mediocrity purgatory. I wonder who first came up with that phrase. (oh, gawddammitt @racerjoe and @y2kcanucks - at least I made it famous)

I don't know if I came up with that word, but I don't think it was me. I did coin the term "Benning Bro" however, and that seems to have caught on like fire on twitter.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
This is a perfect season I think for tanking. Short season, lack of fans seems to be having an effect on the players for real now. Team is playing uninspired.

Some really good defensemen in the top of the 1st round, just so happens our biggest area of need. Still the team is such a mess from a cap point of view...

We won’t be out of the worst of the cap crunch until end of next season, but by then Benning and Co will have likely added more poor contracts. Why doesn’t Aqua get it?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
DeliciousIdleBordercollie-size_restricted.gif

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The team gets just enough points to keep them from getting a shot at a top 3 pick. Every single year. But hey who needs fresh talent when they're learning to play the right way according to Jim.:thumbu:

Reactions: I am toxic

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We were never going to be bottom 3. A win streak was inevitable.

8-10 last is most likely.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We were never going to be bottom 3. A win streak was inevitable.

8-10 last is most likely.

Which is especially frustrating when this year, the draft is littered with defensemen. We could basically find our Edler replacement. Instead, we're going to barely miss the playoffs and not be in a position to draft any of them. If Benning gets fired... I'll at least take that, but we know Aquilini is stupidly stubborn.

Reactions: Dab and mriswith

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It is fun to consider that the Canucks have always driven poorly constructed Tanks and have alway been punished for it while the Lafs former coach now acknowledges they actually conspired, with intent, to create a well constructed Tank in order to claim Matthews but yet received no penalty from the League Overlords for this violation.

Canuckluck or?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
It is fun to consider that the Canucks have always driven poorly constructed Tanks and have alway been punished for it while the Lafs former coach now acknowledges they actually conspired, with intent, to create a well constructed Tank in order to claim Matthews but yet received no penalty from the League Overlords for this violation.

Canuckluck or?
League would have found a way to punish the canucks retroactively had they blatantly tanked.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Barf. Benning and Green will keep their jobs, won’t they? f*** me
I think it all depends on if they make the playoffs.
I think Jim will prob stay since he has extension already, but Green will most likely get released, since his contract is near over.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think it all depends on if they make the playoffs.
I think Jim will prob stay since he has extension already, but Green will most likely get released, since his contract is near over.

And here lies the problem: this team's target has always been playoffs, not the cup.

Even then, they are still VERY bad at reaching this minimal-effort goal.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
And here lies the problem: this team's target has always been playoffs, not the cup.

Even then, they are still VERY bad at reaching this minimal-effort goal.
I don't think that's the case, I have no doubt that Jim Wants to win the cup like everybody else, I just don't feel he is talented enough in the FA Department to get it done.
He should have brought in somebody ages ago to handle and help with Free Agents, Because Drafting, and even trading (When it's not giving picks away) He has done fairly alright.

Reactions: bh53

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I don't think that's the case, I have no doubt that Jim Wants to win the cup like everybody else, I just don't feel he is talented enough in the FA Department to get it done.
He should have brought in somebody ages ago to handle and help with Free Agents, Because Drafting, and even trading (When it's not giving picks away) He has done fairly alright.

I can kinda feel that playoff is what they are shooting for, nothing further. This explains why Benning is so eager to jump on so many what he would perceive as shortcuts then fail so spectacularly.

The past off season he did alright. But against more than half a decade of horrific asset management/contracts, it's like dusting a pile of shit with some powdered sugar to make it looks like brownies.

Reactions: vanuck

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I can kinda feel that playoff is what they are shooting for, nothing further. This explains why Benning is so eager to jump on so many what he would perceive as shortcuts then fail so spectacularly.

The past off season he did alright. But against more than half a decade of horrific asset management/contracts, it's like dusting a pile of shit with some powdered sugar to make it looks like brownies.

He blew whatever cap space he had on "Dogshit" Holtby.

If last offseason was alright, I shudder to think what a poor offseason looks li . . . oh, yeah, 2015. Oh, and 2016. And 2018. And 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad