#2: Hemsky - Gagner - Nail

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Whitney was just as close as Gagner was, Gagner at least had the opposite side of the ice to cover whereas Whitney was standing at the side of the net picking his nose.

Look, I'm a Gagner fan fairly critiquing him on the goal. Saying it like it is. He's a center, he could be looking to cover a guy high slot. He did nothing on the play.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is the most competitive team we've iced in years and he was a obvious -2. Hopefully it just takes time to pick up the systems.

Did you not watch the game?

The first -1 turnover came when Gagner sent an errant pass to Yakupov which was intercepted and turned into an odd-man rush. Yakupov was also off the ice at the end of his shift at that time.

The second was Gagner's missed assignment (trailer). Yakupov had his man covered.

Yakupov has the systems down pretty well. The only issue I'd seen with him last game, was holding onto the puck too long in the slot, rather than letting it rip.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Did you not watch the game?

The first -1 turnover came when Gagner sent an errant pass to Yakupov which was intercepted and turned into an odd-man rush. Yakupov was also off the ice at the end of his shift at that time.

The second was Gagner's missed assignment (trailer). Yakupov had his man covered.

Yakupov has the systems down pretty well. The only issue I'd seen with him last game, was holding onto the puck too long in the slot, rather than letting it rip.

It was Yakupov that made the pass that got intercepted afairc.

edit: confirmed. It was Yak passing to Hemsky on the wing that got picked.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Is it just me, or does Yakupov look lost our there 90% of the time. That, and his stick handling is choppy, along with his skating and his timing seems a bit off.

I'm not throwing him under the bus this early, but I'm just seeing if anyone else has noticed this.

The nerves must be hitting him a lot harder than they seem to be hitting J. Schultz.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is it just me, or does Yakupov look lost our there 90% of the time. That, and his stick handling is choppy, along with his skating and his timing seems a bit off.

I'm not throwing him under the bus this early, but I'm just seeing if anyone else has noticed this.

The nerves must be hitting him a lot harder than they seem to be hitting J. Schultz.

Yes, he looks very nervous. We know he's capable of carrying the puck though, so it's just a matter of giving him time to adjust to the speed of the game. Luckily his greatest weapon is his shot, which is going to translate to the NHL game beautifully.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I was watching the Flames game and it struck me that Yaks looks a lot like Mike Cammaleri. They both play sort of hunched over all the time. Both do the one timer on the pp all the time. Both sort of have a choppy but quick skating style.

Any way, I think Yaks will be better, but, that isn't to bad. Really, I think he might already be as good as Cammy.

ps. Every one looks nervous compared the Shultz. Man, nothing shakes that guy. HE is as calm as a 20 year vertan out there.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I wonder if sending him back to jr/Russia before the 6 game "point of no return" is something they even consider during this shortened season with no preseason and virtually no training camp. I'm confident he'll work his way through it and come out ahead, but the question is whether or not it's worth burning up a year of his ELC for. Especially since he's looked fairly lost when they're not on the powerplay. Granted, he's a tremendous weapon with the man advantage.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

His linemates are two players who have had a hard time developing chemistry with anyone in their time as Oilers. It's not surprising they aren't meshing well 5 on 5. Both he and Hemsky seem to want to be able to get the puck with speed and lug it up ice, they both play like rovers out there.

He doesn't look comfortable on the LW IMO. But hey as long as it makes our top sniper a better defensive player then who cares right? MacT would approve of it for sure.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
He seems to let the puck get away from him at times, and tends to wander around when he doesn't have the puck. That, and he's forcing plays that aren't there.

I know he'll settle down -- Well, I hope he does.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
I was watching the Flames game and it struck me that Yaks looks a lot like Mike Cammaleri. They both play sort of hunched over all the time. Both do the one timer on the pp all the time. Both sort of have a choppy but quick skating style.

They also both one-time the puck like nobody's business. I've always been impressed with Cammalleri's ability to one-time it from anywhere, on his back leg, whatever. As for Yakupov, I think he could almost have the best one-timer in the NHL already (that Greek kid in Florida isn't bad either).

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
His linemates are two players who have had a hard time developing chemistry with anyone in their time as Oilers. It's not surprising they aren't meshing well 5 on 5. Both he and Hemsky seem to want to be able to get the puck with speed and lug it up ice, they both play like rovers out there.

He doesn't look comfortable on the LW IMO. But hey as long as it makes our top sniper a better defensive player then who cares right? MacT would approve of it for sure.

Totally agree. Forgot to mention this point. He doesn't look comfortable on his off wing whatsoever, which I'm guessing is lending to his constant wandering around the ice. It's unsettling, but it's only 2 games in!

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
His linemates are two players who have had a hard time developing chemistry with anyone in their time as Oilers.

While that's sort of true in some ways, there's no way Hemsky and Gagner are responsible for Yakupov's questionable ES play. At this point, those two aren't the problem with that line. Far from it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wonder if sending him back to jr/Russia before the 6 game "point of no return" is something they even consider during this shortened season with no preseason and virtually no training camp. I'm confident he'll work his way through it and come out ahead, but the question is whether or not it's worth burning up a year of his ELC for. Especially since he's looked fairly lost when they're not on the powerplay. Granted, he's a tremendous weapon with the man advantage.

Dear god not this again. He has played 2 games with players who can't win a puck battle and turn the puck over constantly in the offensive zone.

He has 1 goal in two games against two of the best defensive/puck possession teams in the league. As well as a couple very near goals. He is going to destroy Calgary on Saturday.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

His stickhandling, skating, and other general aspects of his game have always looked very "choppy". I do see him overthinking things offensively, but I think it's the same learning curve every young player goes through.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
While that's sort of true in some ways, there's no way Hemsky and Gagner are responsible for Yakupov's questionable ES play. At this point, those two aren't the problem with that line. Far from it.

It's always the other guys fault

So it's the rookie who was playing his first two games fault??? Not the veterans that are bleeding scoring chances and goals against, while getting owned along the boards all over the ice.

Sure Hemsky and Gagner have had a few nice dangles and scored nice goals in the SO, but they have been awful as far as defensive zone coverage and turnovers are concerned.

I guess people are expecting Yakupov to come in and immediatly carry the 2nd line and inflate Gagners value like Hall and Eberle have.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I guess people are expecting Yakupov to come in and immediatly carry the 2nd line and inflate Gagners value like Hall and Eberle have.

He is tied for the lead in goals on that line after having played 2 nhl games :)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
So it's the rookie who was playing his first two games fault??? Not the veterans that are bleeding scoring chances and goals against, while getting owned along the boards all over the ice.

Nobody is expecting Yakupov to be anything, and I'm definitely not giving up on him. But what I'm definitely NOT doing is blaming his shortcommings and early struggles (which are expected from an 18 year old in the NHL) on his linemates.

There's nothing wrong with saying a player is looking out of place when he's looking out of place. It doesn't mean he's a bust or that it's not going to get better.

Sure Hemsky and Gagner have had a few nice dangles and scored nice goals in the SO, but they have been awful as far as defensive zone coverage and turnovers are concerned.

The exact same could be said about Yakupov and the fact that he has scored a goal. It doesn't mask the fact that he hasn't looked very good in his first two games.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nobody is expecting Yakupov to be anything, and I'm definitely not giving up on him. But what I'm definitely NOT doing is blaming his shortcommings and early struggles (which are expected from an 18 year old in the NHL) on his linemates.

But you are willing to blame Gagner and Hemskys shortcomings and struggles on Yakupov.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I do agree with some of the posts that Yakupov has looked out of place at times. Maybe its the fact that he doesn't look comfortable on the LW.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When did I do that? Actually, I'll answer that question for you...I haven't.

Short memory?

Gagner and Hemsky couldn't check a coat so far at ES this year yet you blame Yak for all the struggles that line has had.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Short memory?

Gagner and Hemsky couldn't check a coat so far at ES this year yet you blame Yak for all the struggles that line has had.

He was just acknowledging the fact that because Gagner and Hemsky struggled at times on ES, Yakupov shouldn't get the scots-free pass.

Look at it from an objective standpoint. Sure Yak is a rookie, but at times he looked out of place and was trying to do too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad