#2: Hemsky - Gagner - Nail

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think that Kreuger will be important to the consistency of this line if they are to stay together. I feel like the players have slowly tuned out the last few coaches after it was clear that they're methods were leading only to last place finishes. Kreuger has to retain the respect of those players by leading them to some actual success.

~30 points from each of the players on this line should not be out of the question. It'd be a hell of a show if they do that playing together for the season.

Agreed. I lwatched an interview with Kreugs from last week on the Oilers site, and he absolutely mesmerized me. I don't know if this can be termed as Homerism or what, but I felt that anyone who doesn't feel pumped after he speaks is not in the zone, or any zone at all.

I'm really becoming impressed with this guy. And I am not usually a "coach fan"

I hope the Oilers players realize what they might have in this coach and go to town for him.

Last edited:

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
It's science.

tumblr_mbanofeqON1re5wyfo1_500.gif

I just hope they produce more goals then they bleed.

Eddy Oiler*

my apologies. thought Perry was a C..my point was someone equivalent in that class of player.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
While I do believe Gagner did warrant to stay as an Oiler for at least another year, I don't disagree that we need size down the middle. Gagner would've been a good compliment on #2C if RNH was 6'3 or taller, but he's not.

If we were to trade Gagner, I want to see someone who can step into that #2C immediately. So for right now, Sam is our best option. Unless we put Horcoff on #2C :help:

Aside from that, I'm excited to see what Gagner can do with Hemsky and Yakupov. It will be interesting to see.

windjackass

Hiss Hiss Hiss
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
I am quite worried about the amount of potential glass on this line. I'm not confident we don't see an injury before Krueger realizes the same.
Edit: IAAW

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Oilers will not be a contender until gagner is gone. Sorry to sound like a broken record but it's a fact. Cannot have a smaller guy after RNH comes off the ice. Just can't.
You only have five posts. I doubt anyone has noticed you, much less considers you a "broken record".

And no. The Oilers will be just fine with Gagner. He's gonna shut some pie holes this year.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
You only have five posts. I doubt anyone has noticed you, much less considers you a "broken record".

And no. The Oilers will be just fine with Gagner. He's gonna shut some pie holes this year.

And that's a fact!

I noticed.
I suppose thousands of posts makes one some sort of expert. :teach2: blah blah blah blah blah. Gee, now I have another post.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
And that's a fact!

I noticed.
I suppose thousands of posts makes one some sort of expert. :teach2: blah blah blah blah blah. Gee, now I have another post.

It's okay, friend. I notice you.

We just notice nutters like harpoon a little quicker. He made the SS trampstamp a fashion statement long before Sammy Snowpants rocked the handlebar stache. He once crouched beside his dog and a left a coiler on Tambellini's lawn. The man is a legend.

You have to earn a reputation around here.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just how great would the Edmonton Oilers be if Corey Perry replaced Sam Gagner??

Oilers will not be a contender until gagner is gone. Sorry to sound like a broken record but it's a fact. Cannot have a smaller guy after RNH comes off the ice. Just can't.

Hmmm, a brand new poster that just started an account being an expert at all and stating "sorry for being a broken record".

I wonder..

update, "brownsrug" was eddy oiler, looks like I sniffed it out.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
this lines value will stick out when hemsky and yak are drawing penalties, an i think they will draw a lot. Yak will help that line out on the forecheck, he is tenacious and gets after the puck, this will help samwise keep up to the play. but they will get scored on and i think it will be a few games in when we end up seeing this

hall/gagner/ebs
harti/rnh/yak
smyth/horc/hemsky

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I think the success of Yak-Gagner-Hemmer line will determine whether or not the Oiler's trade Hemsky this season or not. I think one of the reasons he is not being moved for a defence man is if he has instant chemistry with Yakupov than we can have two dangerous scoring threats.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
my apologies. thought Perry was a C..my point was someone equivalent in that class of player.

It's ok. 5 posts in and you got Gretzky in the wrong jersey. If you think you got jumped on for that wait till' hfoil is in mid season form and you make a typographical error. Fogetaboutit.:D

McStanley

Dec 8, 2005

Still not quite making much sense... I can take any top-line player on any team, insert them into our second line and that would look fantastic. I guess you are correct, but that's a bit obvious don't you think?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
The Soft as butter line

This. Offensively, the others top two lines is stacked. Defensively, I wonder who can truly play solid in their own zone? Eberle I guess, but Nail-Sam-Ales will need to be paired with our steadiest D pairing...

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I don't think it will be as soft as everybody assumes. Yakupov has certainly been willing to throw hits in the past, Gagner isn't big, but he's not afraid to play physical, Hemsky isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas.

I don't think it's as much to do with throwing hits as it is working down low and the ability to absorb a hit while maintaining puck control. As much as Yak is willing to throw his body around, he isn't necessarily going to be able to keep the puck or take it away from a guy like Joe Thornton or Ryan Getzlaf below the goal line(s).

This is where someone like Gagner and Hemsky are also exposed. Sam is a gritty guy who is willing to battle, unfortunately he doesn't usually win those battles. Hemsky goes to those areas but also tries higher risk plays which many times ends in a turnover (or injury).

Off the rush, the 2nd line will be just as deadly as our 1st line and will make teams pay if allowed to skate. However, everyone knows you need to be able to cycle in order to maintain offensive pressure and that's the biggest question mark concerning the 2nd line.

In a perfect world, with the type of 1st line the Oilers have, you would want a bigger, tougher 2nd line who have the ability to grind it out down low providing a more dynamic and balanced attack for the Oilers as a whole.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
As long as this line doesn't get trapped in the D zone too often I think they'll be dangerous. Especially off the rush. I hope they get paired with a responsible pairing, Smid/Petry or Whitney/Fistric.

I think Smyth/Horcoff/Teemu will be that large, physical, grinding type of line we wanted as our 2cnd.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
For all those posters that stated Hall, RNH, Eblerle have no chemistry, that is all that people have been talking about is how great their chemistry is. It will be interesting to see how this season works out. On paper we have a lot of scoring threats now it is up to them to translate that on the ice. Our defense with a healthy Whitney, trading Gilbert for Schultz, getting Schultz and Fistic is a lot better than last year at the beginning also. EDM defensively improved a lot last year with the addition of Schultz.

The thing after this season is Tambo will see what he has to do with this team to improve it. He will know if Gagner can be the 2C, if we should keep Hemsky and who on defense has to be moved out. If Dubey can be a legit goalie. Those are a lot of questions but we need those answer to move this team foward.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Corey Perry?

How awesome would it be if Patrice Bergeron replaced Sam Gagner? Or Jordan Staal? David Backes? Mike Richards?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad