GDT: #2| Carolina Hurricanes @ New York Islanders| October 11th 7:00 PM | F/W 4-3

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
Just back from the game, here are my observations/comments.

-Terrible job by team with pre-game.... no individual player introductions, the pre game video was lame, no ceremonial drop of the puck by somebody with a historical tie to the team, anthem performed by a no name.

Now to the game itself,

-The usual 3rd period pins & needles. The PK is not good, even the coach says that.

-Reinhart looks overmatched out there. On a couple of plays he looked like a traffic cone and the Canes went right around him. He needs to use his size and body to check and knock the opponent off the puck. Once deHaan or Viz comes back he needs to get some seasoning at BPT.

-Goaltending was nothing special. The 3rd goal was on Johnson in my opinion.

- I did like the way the 1st line (Tavares) and 3rd line (Nielsen) played tonight. The 2nd line (Nelson) was pretty much ineffective. While Boychuk has lived up to his billing, Leddy has not stood out (good or bad) in these 2 games.

-Let's face it, the Canes are where we were the past couple of years.... A bigger test will be the next few games vs. NYR, SJ, TOR, PIT..... If they cannot get past the 3rd period scrambles quickly, it can become a long season.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Hard fought game. I came away despising Brian Strait more than I did before, and that's saying something. Third goal was also miscommunication more than anything else though between Johnson and his defense. I also think Johnson is a backup for a good reason.

Nelson was a beast tonight again. His penalty kill in the middle of the third period was a thing of absolute beauty.

We need to start Boulton against the Canes next time and have him remove Gleason. That guy takes serious liberties against our top line and I am honestly sick of it.

Again with the poor line changes. Capuano...

Our PP looks ok but the PK is poop. Once we get Vis & deHaan back our PP gets even more dangerous.

Couldn't really be said better. Strait was standing in front of the net like a statue on that 3rd goal. Granted, there was some miscommunication, I still expect a guy with his grittyness to patrol that area and he dosen't.

Gleason was an no-good instigator the whole night. A reminder why we need guys like Martin to go out there and stand up for us. I hope he gets his next time we play them, the shot on Bailey was pathetic.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

-Terrible job by team with pre-game.... no individual player introductions, the pre game video was lame, no ceremonial drop of the puck by somebody with a historical tie to the team, anthem performed by a no name.

Now to the game itself,

-The usual 3rd period pins & needles. The PK is not good, even the coach says that.

-Reinhart looks overmatched out there. On a couple of plays he looked like a traffic cone and the Canes went right around him. He needs to use his size and body to check and knock the opponent off the puck. Once deHaan or Viz comes back he needs to get some seasoning at BPT.

- I did like the way the 1st line (Tavares) and 3rd line (Nielsen) played tonight. The 2nd line (Nelson) was pretty much ineffective. While Boychuk has lived up to his billing, Leddy has not stood out (good or bad) in these 2 games.

-Let's face it, the Canes are where we were the past couple of years.... A bigger test will be the next few games vs. NYR, SJ, TOR, PIT..... If they cannot get past the 3rd period scrambles quickly, it can become a long season.

Staple suggested on twitter that Tavares didn't want to do individual introductions.

IHateSidney

Oct 30, 2011
NY

Now to the game itself,

I agree about the pre game. Was really disappointed. I was expecting to see Potvin, Gillies, Bossy, Trots, Nysytrom and Smith there.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Now to the game itself,

Re: third period. They added 8 new players I believe and 2 a week ago. 2 wins in a row is more than fine. Team will settle in.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I should point out I have 1 huge gripe the past 2 games. Grabovski had a 55% faceoff winning percentage last year but we haven't seen him take 1 draw I believe so far

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
Pre-Game Ceremony (or Lack Thereof) at Final Home Opener Surprising

Back from game, very surprised and disappointed that there was not a pre-game ceremony.

In addition to no individual opening night player introductions, there was no ceremonial puck drop by an alumni (Bossy, Potvin, Nystrom etc) and the pre game video intro was lame.

Others in the coliseum were saying the same thing...... Your thoughts?

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
HAHAHAHA, Bails scores!!! Suck it haters!

Cool Lemon!!!

Funny did you read my mind? I was so ticked that they booed Bailey during intros (ala DP a few years ago, why boo one of our own on opening night?) and then listening to the guy behind me who was heckling him all night (even when Bailey was in position nowhere near the puck), that I just turned around and yelled "SUCK IT" at him when Bailey scored which is not something I would normally think of saying.. I must have been channeling PW at that moment. The rest of the night was filled with high fives all around and there was much rejoicing.
Energy was great tonight in the building, gonna be a fun year if this keeps up.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

Now to the game itself,

Hey man I hear ya but bottom line, we won.. got the two points.. building was electric.. there will be plenty of time for us to ***** the rest of the year.. enjoy tonight ;)

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
howie was commenting how important it was to emphasize the atmosphere of the building over all else. the islanders needed no flashy introduction tonight.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Amazing atmosphere at the Coli, couldn't ask for a better start to the season, maybe perhaps a better PK, but they did finish strong.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was surprised that there were no individual player introductions. I figured it was to place an emphasis on the team instead of the individual player.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Some of you have to stop overlooking the PK. This 2-0 start will easily be erased this week if we dont solve it. Bank on it. Its a huge problem and it needs to get fixed. Get reinhart and strait off the PK and go from there.

Also, nick leddy looks scared. He played very soft tonight. Just trying to keep it real but he doesnt look effective and in fact johnson bailed him out twice. This seems like a confidence issue because on some shifts he looks like one of the top two way defenseman on the team.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Well no surprise here...

@garik16: For fun, #isles d-man corsi through 2 games:
Leddy: +17
Boychuk: +10
Hickey: +9
Hamonic: +6
Reinhart: -4
Strait: -8

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Dude mentioned Chief Jay Strongbow LMAO :laugh:

2/3rd of you have no idea who he is lol

A little bit of trivia- the Chief was actually Italian. His real name was Joe Scarpa. I remember a lot of Saturday nights when I would watch WWWF a little bit after the Isles games. Definitely the good old days.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Some of you have to stop overlooking the PK. This 2-0 start will easily be erased this week if we dont solve it. Bank on it. Its a huge problem and it needs to get fixed. Get reinhart and strait off the PK and go from there.

Also, nick leddy looks scared. He played very soft tonight. Just trying to keep it real but he doesnt look effective and in fact johnson bailed him out twice. This seems like a confidence issue because on some shifts he looks like one of the top two way defenseman on the team.

I thought that Leddy looked ok. He did look scared during the interview with that Shannon Hogan character, though.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

We are missing two very important defenseman, which shouldn't be overlooked as well.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
didnt get to watch the game, so im watching the encore presentation right now.

the first line shouldnt be on the ice with a 1 or 2 goal lead with two minutes remaining. Seeing them get hemmed into carolinas zone gave me flashbacks of last season, and if it wasn't for the shanked shot from the point, carolina might have tied it up. watching them struggle to get the puck out of the zone was nerve racking to say the least.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I guess the good thing is that the team isn't giving up even strength goals. A team with a functioning PK unit would've stopped at least one of Carolina's PP goals. Johnson literally passed the puck to a Carolina forward for Tlusty's hat trick goal. Maybe Halak could be used on back-to-backs. That was ugly.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Also... I love the fact that we have been the team scoring first these last 2 games. So many times last year the other teams would score within the 1st 5 minutes.

giddy up*

I just have one question. Why cant this team play 60 minutes of hockey?

I thought we played a great 3rd period. Canes got an extremely lucky goal, otherwise we were in total control.

Do you not agree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad