GDT: #2| Carolina Hurricanes @ New York Islanders| October 11th 7:00 PM | F/W 4-3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

giddy up*

I guess the good thing is that the team isn't giving up even strength goals. A team with a functioning PK unit would've stopped at least one of Carolina's PP goals. Johnson literally passed the puck to a Carolina forward for Tlusty's hat trick goal. Maybe Halak could be used on back-to-backs. That was ugly.

Johnson had a brain fart. But playing Halak on back to backs just because of that is extremely drastic. It's his first game. He's a legit backup.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Good:
- Tavares owns.
- Kulemin is a great forchecker.
- Bailey with a goal!

Bad:
- Penalty kill stinks.

Other:
- Johnson is not starting material.
- JT should not mix it up, he is too valuable on the ice.
- We need to practice more combinations of the PP than Boychuk firing rockets att the net.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We are missing two very important defenseman, which shouldn't be overlooked as well.

And arguably our best PKer in Grabner. We still have injuries to de Haan and Grabner guys...it will get better. Is it something to be concerned about? Yes. Can it be easily rectified when those two players return. YES! Hopefully the other guys will step up, but when these two players return I suspect it will get a whole lot better.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Good:
- Tavares owns.
- Bailey with a goal!

Bad:
- Penalty kill stinks.

Other:
- We need to practice more combinations of the PP than Boychuk firing rockets att the net.

Right because that certainly isn't working....:sarcasm:

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
It won't work forever. Canes hade a takeaway at one of the PPs.

E: nitpicking I know, but we're relying a lot on the PP to work

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Couple of thoughts two games in:

JT is a superstar. Really.

Wish Reinhart was paired with someone like Dehaan.

Shame Staal got hurt but been waiting forever to see a price paid for targeting our skill guys.

Not sure why anyone would advocate for a Franzy trade.

Who sits when Grabner comes back?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Good:
- Tavares owns.
- Bailey with a goal!

Bad:
- Penalty kill stinks.

Other:

I agree....I thought Weight would have more imagination than that..but I think he might be held down by Cappy because Cappy's strategy changes once and never changes again for a long time. ie. See how often he will start a game with the 4th line. He won't change that tactic for at least a year or 2.

GilliesGirlie

Mar 12, 2006
former Long Islander
I have to say I liked the lack of individual introductions. This team seems really close and that the team is more important than the individual. Kind of corny I know but I like it.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I have to say I liked the lack of individual introductions. This team seems really close and that the team is more important than the individual. Kind of corny I know but I like it.

I think the point of it was to avoid the let down that usually comes with those big pre game ceremonies. That was the impression I got when I saw them come out last night.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Okay, here's my take on the game. Since I'm back home from it and I'm all settled.

•The atmosphere was amazing. It was pretty much a sold out crowd that was loud throughout most of the night. Only time it was not as loud was probably the 3rd period besides the last few minutes. Crowd erupted when Tavares scored. Overall, the crowd and the noise was amazing.

•The lack of pre game ceremony really irked me. They didn't do anything special for it at all. It was barely even mentioned or brought up that it was the last home opener in the coliseum. Seemed strange and didn't make much sense to me.

•Our PP is looking really good. The puck movement has been really good. Boychuk is doing wonders for this team. His presence on the PP and in general was really needed.

•Tavares seems on a mission to make a statement this season. The MVP chants at the end of the game was a great sight.

•Conacher isn't bad but still doesn't fit the role of being a top liner at all.

•Nelson is gonna become a star. The kid is a beast out there. Always makes plays and his size is a big th threat to all teams.

•Our power play seems really good. Every time we get a PP, it's a good feeling a goal is on the way. I'm noticing we are shooting a lot more on the PP than we did last year. Imagine how much better both PP units can be with Vis' and De Haan coming back.

•Our offense in general is looking as advertised, it could potentially be a top ten offense or higher. We are extremely deep, cannot wait to see Grabner back in the lineup as well.

•Strait isn't good, the moment he's out of the lineup the better.

•Reinhardt may not be ready either but that could potentially be because of the above, either way he seemed outmatched at times.

•Johnson did his job, I feel more confident with Halak in net but it's more than satisfying knowing we have a good backup.

•Our own zone defense is horrid. Standing around, chasing and can't get the puck. This needs to improve asap.

•Our penalty kill is awful. Same as the reasons above, multiply x 2. Me and a few buddies at the game were joking when the score was 4-2 saying "As long as the isles don't take more than one penalty, we will win!" It's that bad. Grabner's presence is being missed greatly. He pressures the point extremely well.

•Kulemin is looking great. Dude hustles and his board play is awesome. Great two way player.

•All in all, this team looks very good but some things, mostly defensively need to be sorted out and will improve when De Haan and Vis' are back. The general vibe around this team is they're legit. The real test is in the coming few days. Carolina is definitely a bad team, with the Rangers and Sharks ahead, will see what this team is made of!

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, here's my take on the game. Since I'm back home from it and I'm all settled.

•The atmosphere was amazing. It was pretty much a sold out crowd that was loud throughout most of the night. Only time it was not as loud was probably the 3rd period besides the last few minutes. Crowd erupted when Tavares scored. Overall, the crowd and the noise was amazing.

•The lack of pre game ceremony really irked me. They didn't do anything special for it at all. It was barely even mentioned or brought up that it was the last home opener in the coliseum. Seemed strange and didn't make much sense to me.

•Our PP is looking really good. The puck movement has been really good. Boychuk is doing wonders for this team. His presence on the PP and in general was really needed.

•Tavares seems on a mission to make a statement this season. The MVP chants at the end of the game was a great sight.

•Conacher isn't bad but still doesn't fit the role of being a top liner at all.

•Nelson is gonna become a star. The kid is a beast out there. Always makes plays and his size is a big th threat to all teams.

I was at the game and am therefore feeling very charitable. So I'm only going to say good things:

- Long-time fans have waited a long, long time for a player like John Tavares. His work on the power play was unreal.

- One day, Brian Strait will retire, and I hope he has a wonderful life after hockey. I also hope it begins sooner rather than later.

- Josh Bailey usually seems like he could buy a ticket and have a bigger impact on the game than he does on the ice. Not so tonight.

- Great crowd.

- Conacher will be an outstanding 1st liner in Bridgeport. Soon.

- Big Griff has kept the crapping of his pants figurative, not literal, so that's something.

- Strome is so soft on the puck that he doesn't make any opposing players angry by forcing them to work too hard, or even worse hit him. I think the other team really appreciates that he is willing to lose every battle for the puck.

Great game overall, and the problems are exactly what we'd expect: the kids and the replacements.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
agreed - energy in the building last night was incredible. It was a bit sad and have to admit was a bit emotional at the start of the game, acknowledging that this year is like a 42 game funeral for the coliseum - our barn since 1972 that I grew up with and really learned to love.

Met some awesome people at the tailgate - These two guys flew here from Holland to see the game. Really cool to see first-hand that we have a global fanbase. I even asked him some casual questions that only hardcores would know and he aced them all :D

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
One thing I'm definitely loving as well, Tavares is becoming not only a force, an elite superstar but a great captain who shows toughness. I really love it.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tavares wanted it that way....

The whole story behind the whole team introduction:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...768?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Even the introductions were different and appropriate. Tavares wouldn't take credit for the Islanders bucking NHL custom and skating onto the ice as a group, without individual introductions. He credited the Coliseum's game operations staff, which went to Tavares and alternate captains Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen with an idea they embraced.

"It's not about each guy, it's about the team and the franchise and this building," Tavares said. "We loved it the minute we heard it."

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It's tough to sweep back to back series . Good job isles.

Elliott Friedman reported that 16 scouts were at the game scouting Eric Staal.
Maybe this early season scouting lays the groundwork for a trade later in the season.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I was at the game and am therefore feeling very charitable. So I'm only going to say good things:

- Long-time fans have waited a long, long time for a player like John Tavares. His work on the power play was unreal.

- One day, Brian Strait will retire, and I hope he has a wonderful life after hockey. I also hope it begins sooner rather than later.

- Josh Bailey usually seems like he could buy a ticket and have a bigger impact on the game than he does on the ice. Not so tonight.

- Great crowd.

- Conacher will be an outstanding 1st liner in Bridgeport. Soon.

- Big Griff has kept the crapping of his pants figurative, not literal, so that's something.

- Strome is so soft on the puck that he doesn't make any opposing players angry by forcing them to work too hard, or even worse hit him. I think the other team really appreciates that he is willing to lose every battle for the puck.

Great game overall, and the problems are exactly what we'd expect: the kids and the replacements.

Strome was soft on the puck? What game were you watching?

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Well no surprise here...

@garik16: For fun, #isles d-man corsi through 2 games:
Leddy: +17
Boychuk: +10
Hickey: +9
Hamonic: +6
Reinhart: -4
Strait: -8

another reminder that all corsi really does is confirm (a hyper-vigilant version of) the "eye test." lest any of the late adopters ever bring up that stats can't replace watching games.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
another reminder that all corsi really does is confirm (a hyper-vigilant version of) the "eye test." lest any of the late adopters ever bring up that stats can't replace watching games.

Look at the post right above yours. Two guys got opposite impressions of Strome from watching the same game. I'm sure all of the "statheads" on this forum enjoyed the last two games just like the rest of us.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Look at the post right above yours. Two guys got opposite impressions of Strome from watching the same game. I'm sure all of the "statheads" on this forum enjoyed the last two games just like the rest of us.

yup, exactly my point. our eyes trick us, and we miss things, but if we could have an objective, never-lacking view of the game we'd basically all just be confirming corsi.

BroadwayJay*

A reminder, if the eye test is confirmed by the stats that only means you got your eye-test right.

Of course it is just a "hyper-vigilant" version of the eye test. Or, as I like to think, an accurate, recorded, version of the "eye test."

The main problem with the "eye test" is (1) the lack of accuracy, and (2) the occasional misunderstanding over issues.

On (1), I'd cite the fact that two people watched the same game and come up with completely different views on Strome; and for (2) I'd point out the guy blaming Matt Donovan for the kick-skate incident which was easily refuted with a screen shot.

No one has ever said that stats replace the games. That's a classic strawman. Us stat-guys watch a lot of games, typically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad