GDT: 2/8/16

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Obviously the Panthers didn't try tonight. Plus the wings got a few lucky goals and some help from the refs.

giphy.gif

There was nothing "lucky" about Detroit's goals. The first was a deflection, second was a snipe, and third was a deke. Not to mention Detroit had 17 minutes in penalties, Florida had 15. Plus, there was that whole "no-goal" nonsense when Nyquist's shot was over the line.

Jeezus, people really need to stop repeating stale and bitter Eddie Olczyk bits.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
He went with MacKenzie who offered.

If Gudbranson was in and jumps him as everyone wants he does the right thing turtles and takes the 7 minute PP.

I mean if you have a guy make a big clean hit and we want him to fight and Ericsson chases him all around the ice your guy would be stupid to go with that guy.

Potvin is going to be really disappointed if he thinks that is a suspension. They will have to assert he went purposefully high which he really didn't solid and through the body. Panthers team needs to read the NHL rulebook.

Wanting it out of the game is one thing. Heck I have no problem with the IIHF rule, I think it will be in the game one day. It isn't today and Abdelkader clearly is afforded the protection of bylaws I and II in rule 48 on that hit. Unless they rule he exploded upwards which he didn't charge or do anything to give you that outcome.

Tough play, I hope Barkov comes back soon. It certainly turned the game which is Abdelkader's job. He had a great game, that is what the Wings pay him to do, an assist, a screen on the second goal and a bone crunching hit.

Posted on Twitter..huge props to MacKenzie for engaging Abdelkader cleanly...he could have lit him up along the boards.

As for the hit on Barkov...it sure looks like shoulder to chest to me.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
giphy.gif

There was nothing "lucky" about Detroit's goals. The first was a deflection, second was a snipe, and third was a deke. Not to mention Detroit had 17 minutes in penalties, Florida had 15. Plus, there was that whole "no-goal" nonsense when Nyquist's shot was over the line.

Jeezus, people really need to stop repeating stale and bitter Eddie Olczyk bits.

Ehhh Relax guy, I was just kidding. I know Detroit won fair and square. They were the better team tonight. Mrazek is a beast btw

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Posted on Twitter..huge props to MacKenzie for engaging Abdelkader cleanly...he could have lit him up along the boards.

As for the hit on Barkov...it sure looks like shoulder to chest to me.

His shoulder clearly gets him in the head. That isn't a problem by the NHL rulebook though as long as the rest of you is making solid through the body contact which he does. Barkov has his head down, he hits him through the body.

I understand the Panthers not being happy he went that hard through the hit on their star 20 year old. It doesn't make it suspension worthy or an illegal hit. He also answered the bell for it later.

Potvin and the PBP guy can gripe about it all they want. This isn't a hit the league wants out of the game at least not yet. They purposefully left in clauses to rule 48 that cover just this type of play.

Then again it was on a star player so I could see them throwing games. I would completely disagree with it, but it is what it is. His lead foot is between Barkov's legs. His hip buries right into Barkov's crotch, his arm is buried in his stomach/chest and his shoulder follows through the middle getting the head. He doesn't leave his feet the elbow extension is afterwards and natural to the process of completing a hit. I just don't see how that isn't a hit allowed in the NHL today.

In the future I believe they will go to the full on IIHF rules where no head contact is allowed under any circumstance. Not sure when it will happen, but it probably would have caused Abdelkader to go lower which I am sure is what have the Panther's hot in the locker room. But as of today he is allowed to make that hit as long as he fully engages the rest of Barkov's body which is the case here in my opinion.

But you cannot deny he makes considerable contact to the head, which isn't actually illegal pending the other factors of a hit. In fact I was worried he broke his jaw, it looked a lot like what happened to Drew Miller earlier this year where he did suffer a broken jaw. Barkov seemed to paw at the side of his face, I didn't think he was out on his feet so much as he looked to be in a lot of pain. Hope he is okay, wouldn't be surprised though if that bit of bad news came down tomorrow and he did have his jaw broken. It was a very violent hit on a player that was caught with his head down turning up ice, but Abdelkader did everything per the rulebook that should mean no supplemental discipline.

I really hope Barkov is okay and if not the time lost is as minimal as possible, he is a tremendous talent. He got caught on one of the rare times he wasn't showing off his insane hockey IQ, it is unfortunate.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Quite a few Panthers fans around are upset that he did leave his feet, contrary to what you said. I'm not convinced that his lead foot left the ground but the back one sure did.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Things like that are going to happen when you put your head down.

See it time and time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad