GDT: 2/8/16

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Crosby!

tumblr_ldcbxwQKQ91qes9ozo1_500.jpg

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think it's clearly a hit through the head because the player put himself in vulnerable position which is clean to me. I'm not sure how you can deny the massive head contact.

I don't think anyone is denying that head contact occurred....but that's a lot different than saying it's a headshot.

It was a full on, completely legal body check that unfortunately resulted in a ton of head contact because of Barkov's position.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

edit,
Best shots of the hit I found.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It seems this is needed

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an
opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and
such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.
In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was
avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be
considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the
opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor
timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the
body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by
assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full
body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body
or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way
that significantly contributed to the head contact.

(i) and (ii) clearly describe why this isn't an illegal check to the head.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
It is absolutely through the body contact.

He squares him up, Barkov has his head down so there is contact with the head. But because it is straight through the body it is legal by the books.

I'm not saying it's a headshot but saying it's "through the body" is disingenuous.

His head is part of his body. It's technically through the head.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Boudreau keeps trying this starting Gibson in Pittsburgh because it's home town stuff, he really needs to never do it again.

Also, Crosby is insane right now he is so hot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not saying it's a headshot but saying it's "through the body" is disingenuous.

His head is part of his body. It's technically through the head.

His quad pad hits him square in the you know what. His skate is between both of Barkov's skates. His lower arm hits him in the stomach. The through the body part is that he contacts Barkov's entire body. Because his head was down his shoulder crushes Barkov in the head. But the comment of through the body has to do with where the rest of the hit lines up. That means at least by the rule book Abdelkader has done nothing wrong. Though who knows what the NHL will make of it.

I certainly understand the Panthers being extremely displeased that he went that hard after the hit.

But the Panthers broadcast needs to stop saying things like they want this hit out of the game. They actually have quite clearly left this hit in the game by the rulebook. If you square the guy up and his head is down, you're allowed contact with the head. Now maybe they should ditch that too, but those aren't the rules. Still the Panthers are right to be livid for going through with the hit that violently. But honestly Abdelkader is not going to give that hit up when it is there, neither would Gudbranson see the Hall hit that sparked things off in that game. The Wings really started hitting after Petrovic crushed Zetterberg too, so the where did this come from isn't exactly the unknown Potvin and crew are coming up with.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
His quad pad hits him square in the you know what. His skate is between both of Barkov's skates. His lower arm hits him in the stomach. The through the body part is that he contacts Barkov's entire body. Because his head was down his shoulder crushes Barkov in the head. But the comment of through the body has to do with where the rest of the hit lines up. That means at least by the rule book Abdelkader has done nothing wrong. Though who knows what the NHL will make of it.

I certainly understand the Panthers being extremely displeased that he went that hard after the hit.

But the Panthers broadcast needs to stop saying things like they want this hit out of the game. They actually have quite clearly left this hit in the game by the rulebook. If you square the guy up and his head is down, you're allowed contact with the head. Now maybe they should ditch that too, but those aren't the rules. Still the Panthers are right to be livid for going through with the hit that violently. But honestly Abdelkader is not going to give that hit up when it is there, neither would Gudbranson see the Hall hit that sparked things off in that game. The Wings really started hitting after Petrovic crushed Zetterberg too, so the where did this come from isn't exactly the unknown Potvin and crew are coming up with.

Why? They can't have a logical opinion? It isn't good for the game to have ANYONE get a concussion. Forget about a star.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why? They can't have a logical opinion? It isn't good for the game to have ANYONE get a concussion. Forget about a star.

Because they clearly left full body contact in the game with head involvement allowed. The IIHF has made it quite clear they want this hit out of the game entirely. The NHL has not, they have done the opposite.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Because they clearly left full body contact in the game with head involvement allowed. The IIHF has made it quite clear they want this hit out of the game entirely. The NHL has not, they have done the opposite.

And you're saying they can't WANT the NHL to do the same. Yes, the NHL has not removed it. Should they? With the early stages of evidence we have on concussions? Clearly. And I don't see the evidence being anymore forgiving in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad