18U hockey in USA is now better than Canada

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean eventually if prices stay the way they are here in Canada, USA will eventually take over because Canadians can't afford to put their kids in the game anymore
I wouldn't be surprised if by like 2012 births and later, Canada and USA are more or less equal in terms of hockey development. That's like six NHL Drafts away, so we'll see, there is still so much more infrastructure for higher levels of play at Canada (i.e., Juniors) that could make something like total registered youths not a great metric. Right now with current Draft Classes, you're still seeing residual effects of registration numbers from like 10-12 years earlier. USA Hockey is pretty ruthlessly efficient in consolidating the best kids in the ages at very young ages with select Elite youth teams and then feeding into the USNTDP and the 15 team non-USNTDP USHL but that likely leaves a lot of gaps for anyone that isn't an early bloomer in terms of catching up. At the same time, there's lot of opportunity to catch up on the back end with NCAA D1 hockey going until Age 24 and 60 teams to fill roster spots with in a way that is over 60 % American makeup.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't be surprised if by like 2012 births and later, Canada and USA are more or less equal in terms of hockey development. That's like six NHL Drafts away, so we'll see, there is still so much more infrastructure for higher levels of play at Canada (i.e., Juniors) that could make something like total registered youths not a great metric. Right now with current Draft Classes, you're still seeing residual effects of registration numbers from like 10-12 years earlier. USA Hockey is pretty ruthlessly efficient in consolidating the best kids in the ages at very young ages with select Elite youth teams and then feeding into the USNTDP and the 15 team non-USNTDP USHL but that likely leaves a lot of gaps for anyone that isn't an early bloomer in terms of catching up. At the same time, there's lot of opportunity to catch up on the back end with NCAA D1 hockey going until Age 24 and 60 teams to fill roster spots with in a way that is over 60 % American makeup.
id like this if I could. about a month to go lol

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
USA would need either a bigger premier youth league/ a second premier youth leauge, and probably more D1 colleges if they want to match canada's level of pumping out talent imo. you can't shovel every first round pick into the ushl

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
OP says did a deep dive into this, but doesn’t provide a shred of evidence, to back stance.

Thread title says U18, then says in thread well it’s U14 the US is good at.

seems like doesn’t understand the systems.
Why don’t junior players count in the U18 age groups?

Reactions: ORRFForever

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I mean eventually if prices stay the way they are here in Canada, USA will eventually take over because Canadians can't afford to put their kids in the game anymore
The majority of the best young Canadian players and prospects come from wealthy families. Same with the Americans. It's a rich kid's sport now, regardless of country.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad