Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Like his game or not they needed him here this season. So this is the correct option.

He'll likely be leaving at the right time for everyone. A lower level team will pay him handsomely and he will make the larger half of his nest egg with that deal.

This gives us time to think about an upgrade.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think it's just him. The short-term on this deal, plus the rumored moves Drury was trying to make, has me thinking this is the last run for this group before actual changes are made. A quasi-retool after this year wouldn't shock me honestly depending on what happens with Igor's contract.

As for Lindgren, it's fine. They'll still be able to bank cap space for the deadline and do whatever they need. Last year was a huge downswing in play for him, and I doubt he's that bad again. I also think the majority of the defense took steps back last year under Housley, and I hope it can be corrected this year.
Yeah that was my thinking as well when seeing what we did with the roster all off-season. We'll give it one more go with this group and depending on what they do it will either be a retooling or they'll try to make some major moves and reshape the roster as best they can.

Now that Cap Friendly is officially down - are there any other web resources available that shows similar cap info?
PuckPedia is the best option now. I'm not a fan of their layout, but they have most of the same information and tools.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
For anyone who thinks he can't be worse than he was last year, he can and theres a better chance that he will get worse instead of better. Every single important defensive metric went down the tubes for this player. This was while playing most of his minutes with Adam Fox.

The ire for him would have been higher if he didn't bleed or didn't get excellent goaltending behind him last year. Trouba was a much, much, much, much better player than he was from the new year onwards.

4.5 is suspiciously high to the point I think they're going to sign him for term after for a fair bit less than he might get otherwise.

I think they would have done that already if that were in the cards.

I'm pleasantly surprised that they didn't end up at 2 or 3 years. It doesn't really seem like they have the stomach for term with him though they shouldn't have had an appetite to keep him around at all.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Look, after so much emotional blood was spilled over the fear that (Stone-Cold) Drury was going to give him a long-term contract because he's Fox emotional support partner, who really cares about slightly overpaying him for a year's more service? Need to see the forest beyond the trees.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The idea of reconvening extension talks in the new year makes no sense. If he’s having a good season, the price is only going up to re-sign

I can’t imagine a scenario where he’s anything more than a rental and walks into UFA

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Enjoy your severance package, consider this 11 months notice unless you find other employment.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
trade at the deadline is big money move
Re-sign at UFA price is self destruction.

An extension and drury is dead to me.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
I don’t remember reading that. Maybe people thought he deserved that much?

His QO was 3.6 million so you had to figure 4 million was bare minimum.

Slight overpay but whatever. Way better than seeing a 4-5 year deal.
Why didn't they just offer the qo then? Scared that he would not accept? Rfa can choose to not accept and then becomes ufa yes?

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Why is it so difficult for this team to just move on from players that aren't good just because their home grown?

Sometimes decisions need to be made, and throughout multiple managements, they make the same mistakes.

Igor contract is looming. He's obviously a great player but he is someone we need to move on from too as opposed to signing him long term. Even if it means going for it one more time then letting him walk

What should they have done about Lindgren?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'd rather 1x6 than 2x4; 1x4.5 is just fine by me.

I have confidence that Drury has made a very accurate assessment of the teams strengths and weaknesses.

And no shade at Lindy. One of my favourite dudes on the team; he sacrifices his body night in and out to try and help us win as much as possible. I hope he has a long, successful career; he deserves it.

Reactions: Kocur Dill

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Imagine how silly half the board will look if he is decent again,after one down year, like how solid he’s been for 80% of his career?

And imagine how silly they also look for complaining if he still isnt back to how he was because it doesnt matter anyway since it’s a one year deal?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
1 at 4.5 isn’t bad. Hopefully, Mancini shows he belongs by the end of the holidays, Lindgren gone at the deadline. Even if Ryan had somewhat of a bounce back I dont trust him to have value on a multi year deal. I really feel he’s taken too much punishment.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Down season (as I agree too that it was and he will be better next season) or not Lindgren is not a great option for the type of minutes and competition he faces as Fox’s partner. I don’t agree that Drury’s original plan after the season ended was giving this group as is another run and then make changes. It just doesn’t make sense. Trouba’s situation did screw up his plans and so he’s onto plan B which is yes - start the season with the same group but I have no doubt he’d be trying at a minimum to address 1LD at some point through TDL. Will they be able to bank enough cap space to do this?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I don’t remember reading that. Maybe people thought he deserved that much?

His QO was 3.6 million so you had to figure 4 million was bare minimum.

Slight overpay but whatever. Way better than seeing a 4-5 year deal.
No, there were literally people posting 2.5 for 4 years and stupid stuff like that. They thought that he would take a pay cut for term because for some reason people think that he's going to be out of the league in a year and a half. It's delusional thinking, borderline stupidity. There were a handful of very active posters that were arguing this with me for a week...

Maybe the way to look at this -- and also maybe it was enticing for both sides -- he's getting the money up front. If he blows this coming season, surely we'll complain that we gave him four and a half to suck, but at least it won't drag any longer. He could also have a rebound year playing for a contract here or elsewhere, and then the four and a half might turn to be the right value.
I think he got exactly what his market value is. Whether people want to accept it or not he's a top four defenseman on a playoff team. The rangers probably didn't want to give him term right now and he probably figured that if he signed for less money for term than he was going to be passing up a payday next year once the cap starts climbing aggressively and he can make more money.

There's absolutely no reason for anybody to sign something long-term based on the cap numbers that are presented today because they're going to become irrelevant extremely quickly. There's a lot of talk within wig right now that the cap was kept artificially low this year and it easily could have climbed by another $3 million if the league didn't suppress it

Reactions: will1066

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This f***ing team, man. Anyone ever play gears of war growing up?

Ryan Lindgren is a meat shield. A $4.5m dollar, undersized, crash test dummy ass meat shield.

You gotta respect his heart but at some point dude needs to chip in a point here or there or drop the f***ing mitts. Do something.

Can't fight, can't hit, can't generate offense, average at best defender.

We could do much better for half the cap hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad