Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Still counts imo, could Seider been in Calder year shape if there wasn't for a year in Sweden in a massive role and leading his team to the finals. Maybe, maybe not.

I think people put too much weight on chemistry, they have chemistry or they don't. It's not really a reason to get a guy overseas too early. Detroit has no reason to fast track anyone and when was the last time Yzerman fast tracked anyone?

There just isn't enough minutes available in GR, this was just learning trip for MBN. He got to know the guys, he got to see how actual NHL professionals train, prepare etc.. he is 19-year(HBD!) old kid, he still has lot of things to learn how to become a professional athlete.
Given his trajectory rise over the past year, I think it was more than just a learning trip for MBN, it was a gauge for SY and company to evaluate first hand hand what they have in the rough. They will encourage him to continue to develop no matter where he ends up, but I think SHL for a year will do him well.

There is no need to rush him, but I think SY wanted to be sure if he was able to play NHL today (based on his track record to date), that is where he would be for 2024/25. Both the wings and GR are crowded this year, SY would need some time to adjust the rosters, but he won't change his plans unless a kid forces him to (next year has 4 open UFS slots for forwards that could be filled by kids).

I don't think MBN has forced SY to make that call, at least, not yet. Bring him over once the SHL season is complete and get him involved then on one of the two teams, hopefully in the playoffs.

If he grows more this year, he may well be ready full time for the wings next year. Patience is M.O. SY wants the kids to succeed when they are ready.

Martin Elz

Jun 17, 2009
Ängelholm
I think a year in Sweden would be beneficial. He needs a year of Kronwall tutelage. They don't have him in North America, you don't want to leapfrog those skills. Learning how to hit and be even better defensivly. And the bigger ice will force him to use his skating even more. I can just see him, ASP and Kronwall on the ice doing drills.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
MBN's dad just talked to Norwegian media, and he said there's still a chance MBN (who turns 19 today) could make the big club. This is an option you guys don't even discuss, but keep it in mind.

Personally I think Yzerman is in love with MBN's shot, and he wants him in a Detroit jersey asap. The kid has already shown that he's strong enough to deal with NHL players.

Malik's comment is also interesting...

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
It's not "insanely stupid" to consider all the alternatives for any prospect, especially one as physically advanced for his age as MBN. GR is not a developmental black hole run by amateurs, there are advantages to playing there. It was not insanely stupid for Seider to play in the AHL at 18 after having played only a supporting role on his DEL team. Like Seider he's a physical specimen for his position (though obviously not to the same extent), like Seider his maturity level seems very high, and like Seider the WC were an eye-opener for him perhaps being more ready than one should expect from a player his age. His comfort level and performance at that tournament may have been why the Wings brought him to camp, just to see first-hand where he is at. He's been a bit cautious, not wanting to make a mistake, but he's been fine. He fits in well with the best of those players expected to be in GR.

It's not insanely stupid at all to think he can benefit from playing in the AHL. If anything, since the AHL is not as good a league as the SHL, rather than it being insanely stupid it would be more logical for MBN to take the smaller competitive step from Allsvenskan to the AHL than to struggle for top six and PP time with the defending SHL champions. He's old for his draft peer group having already turned 19, he's familiar with small ice, he's built to handle more contact in smaller spaces, Detroit would have influence on his development there compared to none in Skelleftea. None of these are insane considerations. The overloaded forward group in GR might be the best or even only reason why it's better for the organization that he go back. There's obviously a comfort level with that option due to their well-earned reputation for development, ASP being there and the Wings' staff in Sweden. He won't be hurt at all by playing in the SHL and there are some specific advantages to big ice and playing in the most challenging league available to him, on a good team expected to win a lot. Finding out how to contribute to a winning team, even if not in a big role, is a good lesson for every prospect.

Whatever decision is made, it will not be insanely stupid. What's stupid is thinking there's a one-size-fits-all approach to development, that because just-drafted SHL players usually follow a certain path, it's better for all of them to do the same thing. Starting with his age, physical development and apparent maturity, MBN is not your average just drafted player

Reactions: Webster

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
MBN's dad just talked to Norwegian media, and he said there's still a chance MBN (who turns 19 today) could make the big club. This is an option you guys don't even discuss, but keep it in mind.
There is a ”chance” just like there is for Söderblom, Wallinder, Tuomisto, Hanas, Lombardi etc., in reality near zero.
There is no spot on the roster and MBN is not making the team ahead of Kasper/Danielson.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Marco has done what he needed to to make this team. If he doesn’t make it, for the first time,it I’m going to start questioning our management and what we are trying to do

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I always expected BMN would go back. No reason to beat up his young body in the AHL. Let him develop the other facets of his game, skating, stick handling, vision, positional play, etc in the SHL, . Far less travel , fewer games, far, far less physical. This was an amazing experience for him, awesome of his Swedish club to allow it and he now KNOWS what he must do to make the NHL. This will only help him, his SHL club and his future.

Perfectly handled.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
MBN told the media that SHL was his first choice this year. So then Färjestad's Stian Solberg, his buddy and "the most violent man in the draft" can hit him real hard :D

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Not what I was hoping for, but not broken hearted by it either. Kill it out there MBN.

Yzerman needs to open a roster spot for him next season.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I know the talk is having him with Danielsson but I think he would be a great fit for Larkin and Raymond down the road. Dude has way more of a motor then Debrincat ever will, and it will take some of the lifting off Larkin and Raymond

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
A year of development in a men's league that isn't as physical as the AHL isn't bad. Less likely to have down development time due to injury. I think next year is gonna be a big year for the kids, I could see like 3-5 of them making the roster day 1 next year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sure you can argue over anything. You'll just sound dumb doing it.

Nothing dumb about it. Any player can do just as well from either side of the equation. There is no proof SHL or AHL is the better route.

Like I said it is all our own conjecture.

If there is proof what is it?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Nothing dumb about it. Any player can do just as well from either side of the equation. There is no proof SHL or AHL is the better route.

Like I said it is all our own conjecture.

If there is proof what is it?

Probably because the shl is the 3rd best hockey league in the world. AHL is like 8th

Reactions: Snuggs

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Probably because the shl is the 3rd best hockey league in the world. AHL is like 8th

AHL is not worse than the SHL. Aside from the super stars, players that come from the KHL, SHL, LIIGA and others come to the AHL, and put up similar numbers as in those leagues.

Guys like Nigel Dawes who couldn't hack it in NHL are really good producers in those leagues, because they aren't harder/better than the AHL.

If those leagues were better than the AHL, these players would go to the AHL and dominate which most don't.

Aside from the top prospects and a few exceptions, that play in the SHL, the regular players over there, most couldn't make the NHL and lots of them wouldn't be make it in the AHL either.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
AHL is not worse than the SHL. Aside from the super stars, players that come from the KHL, SHL, LIIGA and others come to the AHL, and put up similar numbers as in those leagues.

Guys like Nigel Dawes who couldn't hack it in NHL are really good producers in those leagues, because they aren't harder/better than the AHL.

If those leagues were better than the AHL, these players would go to the AHL and dominate which most don't.

Aside from the top prospects and a few exceptions, that play in the SHL, the regular players over there, most couldn't make the NHL and lots of them wouldn't be make it in the AHL either.
That applies to the AHL as well. The vast majority of players there aren't going to do anything of significance in European leagues. The biggest difference, is that in Europe puck possession is exponentially more used than chip and chase in the AHL. You want to develop passing, Europe is the way to go. You want to develop puck chasers... AHL is the go to.

Reactions: JBeast and Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

SHL could currently be the 2nd best, becase KHL-level has dropped so bad, thanks to all good Europeans playing at Europe have moved from KHL to SHL or Swiss League. (because they are smart people and don't want to support Putin's russian war-machine)

What I don't like at AHL, is the amount of travel after the Western expansion and which could hurt the player development, because you don't get the optimal rest. Those bus trips are just crazy long. Travel is much shorter at European leagues = more rest = better for development.

And also Griffins location is almost the worst for Travelling, in the mid-continent. At old AHL, it was mostly trips to New England area and long distances to only North-South to Dallas farm or Manitoba Moose. Now it's all that mentioned above + Pacific tour. Less games within short distances and more far away. Even though they will do those trips, those are still damn long trips with bus + playing a 72-game schedule.

So it's not just the league level, there are other factors. Especially affecting for player development.

And that's why Yzerman did this decision. Skellefteå is a good place to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuggs and JBeast

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Detroit would have preferred MBN stay in NA, but MBN preferred Sweden, and the difference wasn't so big that the Wings were going to risk upsetting the kid and forcing him to play in the AHL. This happens with young prospects more often than fans realize btw. Hopefully MBN kills it in the SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad