Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Still counts imo, could Seider been in Calder year shape if there wasn't for a year in Sweden in a massive role and leading his team to the finals. Maybe, maybe not.

I think people put too much weight on chemistry, they have chemistry or they don't. It's not really a reason to get a guy overseas too early. Detroit has no reason to fast track anyone and when was the last time Yzerman fast tracked anyone?

There just isn't enough minutes available in GR, this was just learning trip for MBN. He got to know the guys, he got to see how actual NHL professionals train, prepare etc.. he is 19-year(HBD!) old kid, he still has lot of things to learn how to become a professional athlete.
Given his trajectory rise over the past year, I think it was more than just a learning trip for MBN, it was a gauge for SY and company to evaluate first hand hand what they have in the rough. They will encourage him to continue to develop no matter where he ends up, but I think SHL for a year will do him well.

There is no need to rush him, but I think SY wanted to be sure if he was able to play NHL today (based on his track record to date), that is where he would be for 2024/25. Both the wings and GR are crowded this year, SY would need some time to adjust the rosters, but he won't change his plans unless a kid forces him to (next year has 4 open UFS slots for forwards that could be filled by kids).

I don't think MBN has forced SY to make that call, at least, not yet. Bring him over once the SHL season is complete and get him involved then on one of the two teams, hopefully in the playoffs.

If he grows more this year, he may well be ready full time for the wings next year. Patience is M.O. SY wants the kids to succeed when they are ready.

Martin Elz

Jun 17, 2009
Ängelholm
I think a year in Sweden would be beneficial. He needs a year of Kronwall tutelage. They don't have him in North America, you don't want to leapfrog those skills. Learning how to hit and be even better defensivly. And the bigger ice will force him to use his skating even more. I can just see him, ASP and Kronwall on the ice doing drills.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
MBN's dad just talked to Norwegian media, and he said there's still a chance MBN (who turns 19 today) could make the big club. This is an option you guys don't even discuss, but keep it in mind.

Personally I think Yzerman is in love with MBN's shot, and he wants him in a Detroit jersey asap. The kid has already shown that he's strong enough to deal with NHL players.

Malik's comment is also interesting...

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
It's not "insanely stupid" to consider all the alternatives for any prospect, especially one as physically advanced for his age as MBN. GR is not a developmental black hole run by amateurs, there are advantages to playing there. It was not insanely stupid for Seider to play in the AHL at 18 after having played only a supporting role on his DEL team. Like Seider he's a physical specimen for his position (though obviously not to the same extent), like Seider his maturity level seems very high, and like Seider the WC were an eye-opener for him perhaps being more ready than one should expect from a player his age. His comfort level and performance at that tournament may have been why the Wings brought him to camp, just to see first-hand where he is at. He's been a bit cautious, not wanting to make a mistake, but he's been fine. He fits in well with the best of those players expected to be in GR.

It's not insanely stupid at all to think he can benefit from playing in the AHL. If anything, since the AHL is not as good a league as the SHL, rather than it being insanely stupid it would be more logical for MBN to take the smaller competitive step from Allsvenskan to the AHL than to struggle for top six and PP time with the defending SHL champions. He's old for his draft peer group having already turned 19, he's familiar with small ice, he's built to handle more contact in smaller spaces, Detroit would have influence on his development there compared to none in Skelleftea. None of these are insane considerations. The overloaded forward group in GR might be the best or even only reason why it's better for the organization that he go back. There's obviously a comfort level with that option due to their well-earned reputation for development, ASP being there and the Wings' staff in Sweden. He won't be hurt at all by playing in the SHL and there are some specific advantages to big ice and playing in the most challenging league available to him, on a good team expected to win a lot. Finding out how to contribute to a winning team, even if not in a big role, is a good lesson for every prospect.

Whatever decision is made, it will not be insanely stupid. What's stupid is thinking there's a one-size-fits-all approach to development, that because just-drafted SHL players usually follow a certain path, it's better for all of them to do the same thing. Starting with his age, physical development and apparent maturity, MBN is not your average just drafted player

Reactions: Webster

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
MBN's dad just talked to Norwegian media, and he said there's still a chance MBN (who turns 19 today) could make the big club. This is an option you guys don't even discuss, but keep it in mind.
There is a ”chance” just like there is for Söderblom, Wallinder, Tuomisto, Hanas, Lombardi etc., in reality near zero.
There is no spot on the roster and MBN is not making the team ahead of Kasper/Danielson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad