Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
What do you think they'll do with MBN? The fact that he's still with Detroit tells me he's probably going to the minors. But MBN said they won't force him to go there, they'll listen to him if he wants to play in the SHL instead.

Or maybe he'll listen to the GM of his former team in Norway: "You don't return to Europe when you're just a phone call from the NHL".

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It's not like he is not used to play at smaller ice. He did that before juniors in Sweden. I think his transition will go well. Lalonde has mentioned that there is a language issue, so maybe staying in North America is the right thing to do, so he learns the language.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Lalonde has mentioned that there is a language issue, so maybe staying in North America is the right thing to do, so he learns the language.
Must be some specific hockey lingo as MBN speaks English. Of course not used to do it on a daily basis necessarily, but he's not like a east block country player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I thought I heard Mickey say last night they will make final decision at the end of preseason. He also said MBN was cool with whatever decision is made. I send him to Griffins let him bond with Kasper, Mazur, Cossa, Danielson etc. So as they move to the big club they are familiar with each others game.

GR could use a top line winger, and it'll shorten MBN's learning curve by a year to skip the SHL and play in GR,

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
I do worry if MBN goes back to Sweden that he won’t get much PP time there since his best spot on the PP is the same role occupied already by ASP. The clearest path to minutes is GR imo.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What do you think they'll do with MBN? The fact that he's still with Detroit tells me he's probably going to the minors. But MBN said they won't force him to go there, they'll listen to him if he wants to play in the SHL instead.

Or maybe he'll listen to the GM of his former team in Norway: "You don't return to Europe when you're just a phone call from the NHL".
I personally would like to see him back in the SHL. I think the time and space of the euro game will allow him to try some new things offensively that could help his long-term development. I have been really happy with him though in the preseason. If he has a really good season and a productive summer I could see him challenging for a lower-line roster spot next season.

Reactions: deca guard

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
GR could use a top line winger, and it'll shorten MBN's learning curve by a year to skip the SHL and play in GR,
Depends on what he needs to learn. I think he got that work ethic and grinding plays down, he's physical. So biggest would be to either adapt in AHL to time/space and play top six more.
I personally would like to see him back in the SHL. I think the time and space of the euro game will allow him to try some new things offensively that could help his long-term development. I have been really happy with him though in the preseason. If he has a really good season and a productive summer I could see him challenging for a lower-line roster spot next season.
Or like this, where staying in the SHL he get to maybe learn to become more offensively gifted technically and decision making.
Seems like going to the SHL just adds more time to his transition to the Wings and I'm not sure he needs that.
This is where I wonder also what is best for him. Whether he should skip SHL and be in AHL or take one year of SHL before going to US, but then maybe he could end up skipping AHL all together and go straight to NHL cause he is physically ready. Most likely option is doing as planned and a year of both, but if he impressed enough maybe straight to AHL.

Cause he already played World Championships and he did well there, so I think everyone knows that physically he got what it takes, so question becomes whether a year in SHL is a bit of a overripe for him. Idk, I don't think he needs to get rushed, but also not held back either.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I do worry if MBN goes back to Sweden that he won’t get much PP time there since his best spot on the PP is the same role occupied already by ASP. The clearest path to minutes is GR imo.
He has a great shot but I think he could also be a good net front guy. Having said that, I think it is best for him to stay in NA and I think he probably will.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I do wonder how NHL teams approach this topic, do they follow some game book? I'm guessing that it's highly dependent on the individual and it's always a judgement call where the prospect should play.

Would be fun though if they have a spreadsheet where a player is most likely to best develop certain skills. Like AHL for improving your bus riding ability. Rögle to improve that dog in you, and so on.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Must be some specific hockey lingo as MBN speaks English. Of course not used to do it on a daily basis necessarily, but he's not like a east block country player.
Yes, the bolded is correct. A few instructions he didn't understand, and he needed personal coaching for a while. But I'm sure it's no longer a problem.

MBN also said they have NHL size rinks in Norway, so that's not an issue either.

I thought I heard Mickey say last night they will make final decision at the end of preseason. He also said MBN was cool with whatever decision is made. I send him to Griffins let him bond with Kasper, Mazur, Cossa, Danielson etc. So as they move to the big club they are familiar with each others game.
This makes a lot of sense, and it's probably their plan since MBN is still here after almost two weeks of training camp. Sounds like he's fine with it too.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

As well you could send him to Skellefteå and let him bond with Sandin-Pellikka and be very closely at Kronwall's special development program.

I still think if he goes to Griffins, it's the worse team to get a bigger role, and that level of competition will develop him less. He should take the tougher league level.

Snively - Kasper - Mazur
Rychlovsky - Danielson - Söderblom
Gettinger - Lombardi - Hanas
Johannes - Dries - Shine
(Doucet, Seger, Bantle)

Think that's just a bit crowded and quite kid-heavy.

You can always play in Sweden and join the AHL after the SHL-season is over, because AHL-season could last 2 months longer than SHL-season if you have long playoffs.

Think that split would be best for MBN.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seems like going to the SHL just adds more time to his transition to the Wings and I'm not sure he needs that.
Plenty of players go directly from SHL to NHL, there's no blueprint for those things.

MBN's biggest weaknesses are skating and probably playmaking, both areas are great to develop on the bigger rink where skating is a bigger focus and there's more of a possession hockey game than a dump-and-chase one.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He has a great shot but I think he could also be a good net front guy. Having said that, I think it is best for him to stay in NA and I think he probably will.
I think he will too. Its not like going back to Sweden means hes in his home country either. If youre going to play in a different country, it might as well be the one that gives you a chance at playing in the NHL, and that guarantees you a bigger role because your development is more important than it would be in Sweden

Martin Elz

Jun 17, 2009
Ängelholm
I think he would make a great bumper position player on the PP. With his shot and puck-retrieval skills. It's an area where a lot of failed cross-ice passes end up and his tenacity might save a few clears.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We have too many kids in GR already. If Kasper and Mazur gone then MBN should play in GR. They should have some veterans.
Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi, Danielson, Finnie, Hanas, Ruchlovsky, Doucet and Becher I hope
As well you could send him to Skellefteå and let him bond with Sandin-Pellikka and be very closely at Kronwall's special development program.

I still think if he goes to Griffins, it's the worse team to get a bigger role, and that level of competition will develop him less. He should take the tougher league level.

Snively - Kasper - Mazur
Rychlovsky - Danielson - Söderblom
Gettinger - Lombardi - Hanas
Johannes - Dries - Shine
(Doucet, Seger, Bantle)

Think that's just a bit crowded and quite kid-heavy.

You can always play in Sweden and join the AHL after the SHL-season is over, because AHL-season could last 2 months longer than SHL-season if you have long playoffs.

Think that split would be best for MBN.
Where do you put Becher?

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Possibly, but SY will stick to his plan unless a kids forces him to do otherwise, so I am expecting him to go back to SHL and maybe force his way onto the wings next season.

But I would not be surprised to see him on GR either and if so, depending upon injuries, maybe see some extended time with the wings too (maybe at the start of the season?).

The fact he is over here, suggests anything is possible, but SY does like to marinate the kids, and a strong team in the making in GR would spell good things for the wings in the future as they bring that chemistry with them up to the big team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad