Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Okay,

That's like a push against the former 1st round picks, if this kid goes past them.

Stevie likes to put them compete against themselves.

"he's mature for his age"...I guess that's why.

MBN: "they have said they won't force me to do something I don't want myself"

So I also think he'll head back to Sweden after camp here, unless he blows them away and actually makes the big team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why would they send him to Detroit for development camp, fly him back to sweeen for their camp, then fly him back to Detroit for main camp if they thought he was just going to stay in Sweden?

It’s not a guarantee obviously but if they were just going to leave him in Sweden for the year for sure, they would just let him gain a role with the team in camp and stay there after the Swedish camp is done
He wasn’t staying in Detroit after Dev Camp even if the plan was to play in GR/Detroit. So that’s a moot point.

Now, he also has an agreement in place with Skellefteå and there’s enough time for him to start with them and allow the Red Wings to evaluate the situation. The question is why not just leave him there? I see a few different explanations:

1. They think he could be closer to NHL ready than most and want him at camp to measure against Danielson/Mazur/Berggren/etc. Even if he likely doesn’t earn an NHL spot, he could be close enough that a GR position with call-ups becomes an attractive option
2. Yzerman is working on one or more trades, that if they come to fruition could send away forwards from the NHL roster and/or AHL roster, opening up room for MBN there.
3. Negotiating tactic vs. Skellefteå/SHL, essentially saying ”if you don’t give him a good role with icetime we can bring him over”.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
He wasn’t staying in Detroit after Dev Camp even if the plan was to play in GR/Detroit. So that’s a moot point.

Now, he also has an agreement in place with Skellefteå and there’s enough time for him to start with them and allow the Red Wings to evaluate the situation. The question is why not just leave him there? I see a few different explanations:

1. They think he could be closer to NHL ready than most and want him at camp to measure against Danielson/Mazur/Berggren/etc. Even if he likely doesn’t earn an NHL spot, he could be close enough that a GR position with call-ups becomes an attractive option
2. Yzerman is working on one or more trades, that if they come to fruition could send away forwards from the NHL roster and/or AHL roster, opening up room for MBN there.
3. Negotiating tactic vs. Skellefteå/SHL, essentially saying ”if you don’t give him a good role with icetime we can bring him over”.

That's well summed up given what little we really know about what's going on behind the scenes. I think there's a good chance all three of the explanations you mentioned are in play. There may be other factors too, including Veleno's arbitration process and the unknown state of Berggren negotiations. Last we heard, he wasn't very happy and any trade involving Veleno probably has to wait until arbitration is over or a deal is signed. While the MBN case seems a litle different for what's happened under SY, it might not be much different than what happens for a lot of Euro players whose availability can be negotiated, or re-negotiated if new circumstances require it, and end up in the AHL as 18/19-year-olds. Or they just go back to Europe, everyone unaware of what might have been discussed privately between NHL and Euro team.

This is what happened with Pastrnak in 2014 and undoubtedly others. When drafted he had not yet played in the SHL, scoring eight goals in his only full Allsvenskan season. He was not a high-end lottery prospect, going 25th OA. and there wasn't much thought he'd be ready for the NHL right away or even AHL, not just because of the lack of SHL experience but because he was only about 170. But he went to Development Camp unsigned and looked good. The Bruins had lost Iginla and didn't have a lot of Cap space to replace him. They had a RW opening for their middle six and signed Pastrnak in mid-July. I'm not sure what was happening in Sweden, if there was a deal in place for a move to a specific SHL team and if he participated in a training camp there, but the Bruins wanted him back for their TC. There was some reporting at the time that the Bruins had to make a late transfer payment or use what was probably inaccurately described as a loophole to keep him in NA. He might have won a roster spot right away but for an injury and the Bruins wanted to keep him around. He went to Providence and three months later a good start in the AHL and Bruins' injuries had him back in Boston practising on a line with Krejci and Marchand.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There has been cases where Europeans will go to NHL camp but will return to Europe.

Don't have to speculate million hours about that. It has just happened. It can happen. It doesn't mean anything. They just sometimes want it go that way.
I mean I dont have any actual numbers to prove it, but I would bet the number of Europeans in their draft+1 who just go make their SHL/whatever equivalent league debut without attending NHL camp is much higher.

This isnt the normal way thewings or NHL teams in general normally handle draft+1 15th overalls, especially when they havent played in their home pro league yet.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I have a feeling since he is pretty physically mature he gets accelerated similar to Seider. 1 year in SHL, start in GRR +1 draft, and maybe 21-42 games into the year gets called up and he sticks.

Imagining a top line of him, Danielsson, and Raymond in about 4-6 year's has me with a huge smile on my face.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I have a feeling since he is pretty physically mature he gets accelerated similar to Seider. 1 year in SHL
Technically that was covid's fault. I don't see Wings accelerating MBN, Seider was drafted from DEL and it's a much weaker league than SHL and for young players DEL is a tough place to get ice time. I think that's one reason why Seider played D+1 in AHL, second reason is that he's a freak of nature. Only reason why went to SHL was because they were going to play a full season despite of covid. If it would have been normal times Seider would have played D+2 year in NHL.

I see MBN's route being same as Kasper's, D+1 in SHL and D+2 in AHL and then we'll see where we at with him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Here's couple hits.
Hes definitely more chaotic but some of those takeaways in the first video are very Datsyuk-esque. I read somewhere he was considered the best forechecker in the draft class and that makes sense watching that.

If youre considered the best forechecker in the draft playing on big european ice, I wouldnt be too worried about his skating

Silktoid

May 6, 2015
Michael is playing with the Johnson brothers during Skellefteå's training, which would be one of the toplines. Seen here battling with Adam Larsson who trains with the team during the preseason.

Attachments

• lcimg-d504e9e4-90f3-4469-a93a-bdfbe83634a0.png
    lcimg-d504e9e4-90f3-4469-a93a-bdfbe83634a0.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
This is a random question, but does anyone know how to go about getting game used or issued equipment of Nygard or ASP from the SHL?

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
More and more I like this pick. I see him filling a role and need on this team. 6'1" 205 or so at 18. If his skating can improve and keep up with the 15-20 points he'll gain in the next 3 years, the Wings will have a RW forward with some size and bite to their game.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
More and more I like this pick. I see him filling a role and need on this team. 6'1" 205 or so at 18. If his skating can improve and keep up with the 15-20 points he'll gain in the next 3 years, the Wings will have a RW forward with some size and bite to their game.

I hope he'll score more than 15-20 points, unless you mean pounds ;)

I stood next to MBN, he's a huge man, a power forward for sure.
I can't believe he's still a teenager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad