Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
The draft perception of ROR does not match what he ended up as. As is evident by his draft position. MBN was drafted 2 days ago. Who knows how his career shakes out relative to his draft position?
That's kind of my point pal. Not every ror calibre player can be drafted in the second round and be a huge steal. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 15 overall pick becoming a 60 point power forward that can back check.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Greentree is such a dummy for producing a shit ton of points in the CHL. Should’ve taken a vacation in Finland scored like three goals and everyone could’ve speculated how much he would’ve produced if he played juniors.
Greentree was practically the 13th forward on the u18 Canadian junior team...MBN played in the Worlds (and had more points there) for Norway. They not like us, they not like us, they not like us

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Lots of Swedish to be spoken in the Red Wings dressing room again. And the likes of Seider, Kasper and MBN being able to understand it too.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
This is the kind of guy who, if he was in Canadian juniors, would have a far higher reputation and perceived upside due to the number of points he'd put up. He'd be physically dominant.

We've desperately needed a scoring power forward and we got one. This guy has been at the top of my list since the end of the 2023 draft. Love this pick.
People wanted Barlow last year when he’s essentially a poor mans MBN.

Reactions: flychairman

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Seriously, here are some choice quotes from EP, how can someone read these and not be pumped about having this player in our pool??

"Michael Brandsegg-Nygård is a gamer. Place him anywhere in your lineup, hand him any assignment, and watch him skate through a wall to see it through.....Far from just holding his own, Brandsegg-Nygård bullied his opponents most nights. He went into every retrieval seeking out contact and almost always connected. Thunderous hits sent his opponents flying from the puck, and when he couldn’t overwhelm them with brute force, technique would take its place in the form of reverse hits, subtle jabs at the puck through contact to keep it from his opponent’s stick, or a drive up and through their hands to establish inside positioning.....No real doubt about it – that shot can do damage from range. The Oslo-born forward has a bit of a drawn-out release, but the end result is a shot that’s powerful, accurate, and even deceptive at times. You won’t find many more diligent defensive players in this draft, either. Brandsegg-Nygård dutifully backchecks, tracks well, scans off-puck, and generally knows when to come low into the zone for support. When his team wins back possession, he’s honest, never cheating or flying the zone early for offence, instead making himself available as a breakout option....he’ll put the defence on their heels or blow right past them – he’s one of the draft’s highest-graded skaters for a reason. There just aren’t many holes in Brandsegg-Nygård’s game. He’s skilled, tough, hard-working, can score from in-tight or at a distance, flashes some ability as a playmaker – you name it. A real Swiss Army Knife-type of player if ever there was one."

I really wanted this guy but didnt really let myself get into the draft this year for various reasons, one of which is that I was getting tired of being so pissed on draft night (aside from Kasper)... especially since the 1st rounders are all panning out.
i think it's fair to say that mbn is a 5 tool prospect. i was pumped as hell when nick announced the pick

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Im really excited and first post as a future Detroit fan but not new to hockey. I follow Zuccarello career over the years.
I watched Michael Nygård and Stian Solberg back in May 2024 in the world cup, and Zucc mention that he had a world class shoot in a TV interview, and he would not say it like that just to be polite. ;)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Tonns of stupid comments in thr topic.

Nygard is a great player with great skating, speed and ability to create space for himself and his partners, reason why with his one of the best shots on the draft he has serous goal scoring potential on nhl level. He is playing like he is Lundell with skating, speed and shot. He isn't creative playmaker, but his passes are very accurate and his decision making is fast. High hockey iq. His firechecking and physical abilities are great.

Lucky people don't understand they are lucky, because lack of abilities to understand.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Greentree was practically the 13th forward on the u18 Canadian junior team...MBN played in the Worlds (and had more points there) for Norway. They not like us, they not like us, they not like us

Not sure what this is meant to say, as quite clearly it is harder to make Team Canada than Team Norway.

i think it's fair to say that mbn is a 5 tool prospect. i was pumped as hell when nick announced the pick

Where as Trevor Connelly is just a tool.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Not sure what this is meant to say, as quite clearly it is harder to make Team Canada than Team Norway.
One kid played against 17 year olds in a tournament and couldnt get consistent ice time. The other kid played against professional men (including current NHLers) in a tournament where he had 5 points in 7 games while keeping up with Mats Zucarello. Guess which one we drafted....not sure whats so hard to understand.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
One kid played against 17 year olds in a tournament and couldnt get consistent ice time. The other kid played against professional men (including current NHLers) in a tournament where he had 5 points in 7 games while keeping up with Mats Zucarello. Guess which one we drafted....not sure whats so hard to understand.

One kid plays on Team Canada. If he played on 17-20 year old Team Norway he would get lots ice time and games as well. This isn't about Greentree or MBN it is just the odd thing to run a young kid down when he was used less on Team Canada, while pumping up another making Norway. Pretty sure most of Team Canada's players could easily make Norway.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Sportbladet a swedish tabloid ranks MBN the 5th best signing for the upcoming SHL season.

"It's something Alexander Ovechkin-light regarding MBN, who recently made history when he became the first norwegian to be selected in the first round of the NHL draft. Detroit selected the Oslo born player as number 15. A forward with enormous upside. He got a powerful shot but is also very skillful and competes hard on the ice.
MBN and Skelleftea feels like a perfect match and the former Mora forward plays for a cheap salary makes it even better.
If I combine the level MBN is already at, the potential to become even better quickly and the salary makes this one of the best signings - a dream signing even.
The only negative part is that it most likely will will be a short stay(1 season) at Skelleftea."

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Big boy -> wide shoulders.

This actually looks pretty good. But if the league wants bigger letters he should just use NYGARD, or double A if they can't use the Å. Make it easy for the tv folks...lol

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Big boy -> wide shoulders.

This actually looks pretty good. But if the league wants bigger letters he should just use NYGARD, or double A if they can't use the Å. Make it easy for the tv folks...lol

This past season at least some teams went with the actual letters.

1719873370059.png

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
One kid plays on Team Canada. If he played on 17-20 year old Team Norway he would get lots ice time and games as well. This isn't about Greentree or MBN it is just the odd thing to run a young kid down when he was used less on Team Canada, while pumping up another making Norway. Pretty sure most of Team Canada's players could easily make Norway.
You're actually trying to argue that Greentree would have made the MENS Norway World Championship roster? The same Greentree whose skating wouldnt let him effectively compete against 17 year old euros on a big sheet in the u18s? Like, at first I thought you were confused about the difference in levels between the 2 tournaments....one being for Professionals and men, the other for kids under the age of 18., but now I'm not so sure. I mean, you understand that it basically goes u18 WJC, u20 WJC, and then the actual World Championship in terms of difficulty, right? Nygaard played in the u20 where he had 5 points in 5 games and in the WC where he had 5 in 7 games. Greentree only played in the u18, where he had 4 in 7.

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You're actually trying to argue that Greentree would have made the MENS Norway World Championship roster? The same Greentree whose skating wouldnt let him effectively compete against 17 year old euros on a big sheet in the u18s? Like, at first I thought you were confused about the difference in levels between the 2 tournaments....one being for Professionals and men, the other for kids under the age of 18., but now I'm not so sure. I mean, you understand that it basically goes u18 WJC, u20 WJC, and then the actual World Championship in terms of difficulty, right? Nygaard played in the u20 where he had 5 points in 5 games and in the WC where he had 5 in 7 games. Greentree only played in the u18, where he had 4 in 7.

This Norway men’s roster? Norway - Roster, News, Stats & more

Dude yes, Greentree and probably most first round forwards from this draft class make that team. The talent there is dire. No disrespect to Norway but there’s a reason that MBN and Solberg made history.

Reactions: Realgud

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
This Norway men’s roster? Norway - Roster, News, Stats & more

Dude yes, Greentree and probably most first round forwards from this draft class make that team. The talent there is dire. No disrespect to Norway but there’s a reason that MBN and Solberg made history.
It's not about making a crappy team....it's about the talent they played against. If Greentree struggled against 17 year olds, how exactly would he perform against grown men? And if you really want to take this logical exercise to it's conclusion, Greentree couldnt excel against teens even with his stacked Canada teammates, while Stolberg and MBN were able to play well and stand out while playing with "dire talent" against grown professionals. I really cant believe there's people who cant follow that line of reasoning.

Reactions: DamonDRW

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I agree that most first first rounders this year would have made Norway's men roster. However, I don't think that many would have contributed in the same way that Brandsegg, or even Solberg did.

I don't think Greentree would do that great in an unsheltered role against adult men in the WC.

Reactions: Ori and jfrank21

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

It's not about making a crappy team....it's about the talent they played against. If Greentree struggled against 17 year olds, how exactly would he perform against grown men? And if you really want to take this logical exercise to it's conclusion, Greentree couldnt excel against teens even with his stacked Canada teammates, while Stolberg and MBN were able to play well and stand out while playing with "dire talent" against grown professionals. I really cant believe there's people who cant follow that line of reasoning.

Confused where the goalposts are at this point. If the question is do I think Greentree (or a handful of other mid/late first round forwards) could score a handful of points there then sure. The WC group stage games are pretty unserious hockey. Could a guy like Greentree string together a few points in MBN's role, getting cratered by Slovakia and Germany? Sure.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Confused where the goalposts are at this point. If the question is do I think Greentree (or a handful of other mid/late first round forwards) could score a handful of points there then sure. The WC group stage games are pretty unserious hockey. Could a guy like Greentree string together a few points in MBN's role, getting cratered by Slovakia and Germany? Sure.
Ok, add a just between the words not and about and an also between the words it's and about. The point still stands. And no he wouldnt have. He couldnt keep up against teens. But sure, he magically would be good enough on an unsupportive Norway team to keep up against the men of those countries.

Reactions: Henkka

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Ok, add a just between the words not and about and an also between the words it's and about. The point still stands. And no he wouldnt have. He couldnt keep up against teens. But sure, he magically would be good enough on an unsupportive Norway team to keep up against the men of those countries.

It’s not magic. They’re similarly talented players, which is why they were drafted a few picks apart. I think that similarly talented players, when put in identical situations, perform similarly.

If you think that MBN is wildly far ahead of Greentree (who I really just used as a placeholder, it could be a half dozen mid first round forwards), fair enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00