GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Tatar's career is that of Cody Franson's.

A career loser who got worked whenever he was on an actual championship caliber squad who analytic geeks said was a top tier player.
Career loser he might be but he's a good regular season player at least. He would have been helpful here last year or even now.

If he sucks in the playoffs who cares. That might be relevant to like the Rangers or someone like that but not us :laugh:. We'd be happy just to get there

I was pulling for POJ and he showed some interesting flashes here and there.

But as an apparent resident embarrassment and over-reactor even I don't much care about all that. He was given some good chances here IMO.
I will say I liked him best out of all the young "whatever" defensemen we have.

He's certainly no worse than the garbage truck full of Shea, Ludvig, St Ivany, Ty Smith, etc. I'd prolly take POJ over all of those.

POJ ain't that good either though. I do think he has intriguing tools but I dunno that he's ever putting it all together at this point.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Career loser he might be but he's a good regular season player at least. He would have been helpful here last year or even now.

If he sucks in the playoffs who cares. That might be relevant to like the Rangers or someone like that but not us :laugh:. We'd be happy just to get there

I don't think he is a good regular season player.

He's like ZAR. People look at goal share and expected goal share and say that makes him good.

But Tatar is like Lee Stempniak. He's a whatever player.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

He's certainly no worse than the garbage truck full of Shea, Ludvig, St Ivany, Ty Smith, etc. I'd prolly take POJ over all of those.

POJ ain't that good either though. I do think he has intriguing tools but I dunno that he's ever putting it all together at this point.

He's the defenseman version of a bunch of this team's forwards... some interesting tools but no discernable outstanding characteristics or abilities. Too caught in the mushy middle. Has some offensive ability but not quite enough... has some defensive acumen but not enough to be truly solid.

Which, coincidentally, is why I have no use for Tatar. He's just another big ol "whatever" player you can get for free from basically every team's farm system. Even this team's. He's not a 50-60 point player anymore... he's a 30 point guy and on a team like this he'd be lucky to even be that.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Interesting. I was told he was going to be re-signed by you and play a big part of our youth and hunger moment.
I thought he was going to be re-signed, but I know I didn't say the latter part, because I've never used the phrase "youth and hunger."

I would have signed POJ. I would have preferred to acquire Mathieu Joseph along with picks instead of Kevin Hayes. I would not have signed Beauvilier.

Just because I believe in Dubas' plan does not mean I 100% agree with every signing or trade he's made.

Reactions: SEALBound

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think he is a good regular season player.

He's like ZAR. People look at goal share and expected goal share and say that makes him good.

But Tatar is like Lee Stempniak. He's a whatever player.
I don't think he's great or anything but I think he's a useful player

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I thought he was going to be re-signed, but I know I didn't say the latter part, because I've never used the phrase "youth and hunger."

I would have signed POJ. I would have preferred to acquire Mathieu Joseph along with picks instead of Kevin Hayes. I would not have signed Beauvilier.

Just because I believe in Dubas' plan does not mean I 100% agree with every signing or trade he's made.

So you don't like any of Dubas' moves, but you believe in his plan?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
In looking at what teams are over the cap and thus, might be targets to for "sell cap for draft picks" kind of trades, I ended up discovering that the Oilers are now older than the Pens 🤯
(30.5 for the Oilers vs 29.9 for the Pens; for the Pens, a veritable youth movement :sarcasm: )

As a side note - this pretty much makes me expect the Pens to end up taking on one of the Oilers' oldest players somehow.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So....July 2nd is here which is the date I set for myself to basically evaluate Dubas' moves. My verdict? I'm fine with the direction that he chose to take. The players he signed or acquired aren't going to move the needle much, but they won't hamstring the rebuild either.

As things stand I don't expect us to make the playoffs. There's just not enough there in the top six and while the bottom six should be quite improved over last year there's still not enough there either. I don't think we're going to have the offense to get in unless our goaltending duo has a tremendous year. I fully expect our PP will continue to suck as well. Sully is still here and I don't trust Quinn to fix it.

If Dubas finds a way to add a top six forward to this roster before the season starts I'd feel a lot more comfortable about our playoff chances but it doesn't seem likely to happen.

They should 100% trade MP instead of extending him. I'm fine if they wait until the deadline to do so just in case the team finds a way to be competitive, but if they're out of it he should be gone.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Randy Butternubs is a well-known member of the HFBoards community, gaining recognition for several reasons:
  1. Detailed Prospect Rankings: He is particularly noted for his thorough and insightful rankings of hockey prospects. His assessments often reflect a deep understanding of the game and the potential of young players.
  2. Engaging Analysis: Randy Butternubs is known for providing detailed and engaging analysis of players, teams, and games. His posts often include in-depth breakdowns of player performances and potential.
  3. Active Participation: He is an active participant in discussions on HFBoards, contributing regularly to threads about various hockey-related topics. His frequent contributions and interactions with other members help foster a vibrant community.
  4. Reputation for Insightfulness: Over time, Randy Butternubs has built a reputation for being insightful and knowledgeable about hockey, earning respect from fellow forum members.
  5. Humor and Personality: The pseudonym itself, "Randy Butternubs," adds a touch of humor and personality, making his posts memorable and distinctive within the community.
These elements contribute to Randy Butternubs' standing as a prominent and respected figure on HFBoards.

^ I don't think any of that is true.
:laugh:

I have no idea what it would spit out for me that would be factual. I have been around here for 15-16 years? Under like 4 name changes.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

And that's just it. I'm going to sit here and wonder why they "brought in Hayes" when I know full f***ing well the major incentive was the 2nd round pick which helps the pursuit of restocking the system. At the same time I can bemoan things like Harkins, Eller, Acciari, and Nieto. Nieto, Eller, and Acciari are really a thorn in the side of the entire roster right now because they are the anti-thesis to the new direction of the team. Nieto and Acciari on one-year deals and Eller on a two year deal last year would have been much more ideal.

Beauvillier, whatever. At that price and term it's hard to get too mad. I'm less mad about him than Acciari because Beau actually has a potential offensive upside. Lizotte I don't mind but it's confusing because we already have...Acciari. They are in the same mold but whatever. Again at that price and term it's hard to get too mad. Aho, same thing.

Everyone else is a WBS guy or irrelevant depth player.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
So....July 2nd is here which is the date I set for myself to basically evaluate Dubas' moves. My verdict? I'm fine with the direction that he chose to take. The players he signed or acquired aren't going to move the needle much, but they won't hamstring the rebuild either.

As things stand I don't expect us to make the playoffs. There's just not enough there in the top six and while the bottom six should be quite improved over last year there's still not enough there either. I don't think we're going to have the offense to get in unless our goaltending duo has a tremendous year. I fully expect our PP will continue to suck as well. Sully is still here and I don't trust Quinn to fix it.

If Dubas finds a way to add a top six forward to this roster before the season starts I'd feel a lot more comfortable about our playoff chances but it doesn't seem likely to happen.

They should 100% trade MP instead of extending him. I'm fine if they wait until the deadline to do so just in case the team finds a way to be competitive, but if they're out of it he should be gone.
You wait till the deadline to trade MP. Defensemen always have their value bloated come deadline. If we are clearly out. You move him then. I have a feeling if he is playing a decent game this year he could bring in a good prospect +.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
:laugh:

I have no idea what it would spit out for me that would be factual. I have been around here for 15-16 years? Under like 4 name changes.

Gurglesons on HFBoards is a user who seems to stir up strong reactions among the forum's members. Here's a detailed explanation based on your description:

Characteristics:​

1. Accuracy: Gurglesons is frequently correct in his posts, whether these are predictions, analyses, or opinions about hockey. This accuracy lends credibility to his contributions and can make his insights valuable to discussions.
  2. Perceived Obnoxiousness: Despite his accuracy, Gurglesons has a reputation for being obnoxious. This could manifest in various ways, such as:
    • Condescending Tone: He might present his points in a way that seems dismissive or superior, which can be off-putting to others.
    • Provocative Language: Using language that is intended to provoke or antagonize other users, leading to heated exchanges.
    • Persistent Arguments: Engaging in long, drawn-out arguments, even when the discussion could have been resolved more amicably.
  3. Whiny Behavior: Gurglesons might also be seen as a "cry baby," which could mean he often complains or reacts negatively when things don't go his way in discussions. This can include:
    • Frequent Complaints: Regularly voicing grievances about Mike Sullivan and Kyle Dubas
    • Victim Mentality: Portraying himself as being unfairly targeted or misunderstood by others.
    • Watches lots of games
  4. Resentment from Other Users: The combination of being right often and having an irritating demeanor can lead to resentment. This resentment arises because:
    • Reluctant Acknowledgment: Other users might have to admit that Gurglesons is correct despite not liking him personally, which can be frustrating.
    • Clashing Personalities: Differences in communication styles and personal values can exacerbate conflicts.

Impact on HFBoards:​

• Discussion Quality: Gurglesons' accuracy can elevate the level of discussion, as he provides well-founded points and insights.
  • Community Tension: His behavior can create a polarized atmosphere, where users might take sides for or against him, leading to more conflicts.
  • Moderation Challenges: Moderators might have a tough time managing interactions involving Gurglesons, balancing the value of his contributions against the disruption his demeanor might cause.

Summary:​

Gurglesons is a user on HFBoards whose accurate insights are overshadowed by an obnoxious and whiny demeanor. This combination leads to resentment from other users, as they must navigate the tension between acknowledging his correctness and dealing with his irritating behavior. His presence on the forum highlights the complexities of online communities, where the quality of contributions and personal interactions both play crucial roles in the overall user experience.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Good. Making the playoffs and getting dumpstered in R1 would only slow down the growth of what's most important.
We should be drafting higher in this upcoming deep draft. We'll be free to trade whatever has value at the deadline this way as well.

They don't need a top-six Forward. They need to use that money to take on a bad contract in exchange for pick(s).
I guess there's hope that he performs well here and you can flip him at the deadline, but why risk it? Just use the money to get picks now. Easy.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
You wait till the deadline to trade MP. Defensemen always have their value bloated come deadline. If we are clearly out. You move him then. I have a feeling if he is playing a decent game this year he could bring in a good prospect +.
That's an unnecessary risk. What if he sucks this year and decreases his value? His value is at its peak right now. Now is the time to strike.

Reactions: molon labe

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So you don't like any of Dubas' moves, but you believe in his plan?
That's a gross misinterpretation of what I said. I don't agree with SOME of Dubas' moves, but I agree with enough of them and with how he's outlined his plan that I am 100% on board with the direction this team is headed.

And even some of the ones I don't agree with - such as the Hayes trade - I'm fine with because it still serves the purpose. I would have preferred acquiring a different player along with the picks, but that's like saying I'd prefer to eat pizza tonight instead of a cheeseburger. Both are fine, but I'd prefer one over the other.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Can anyone explain a single UFA signing by Dubas to me?
Lizotte actually is a good signing. Youngish (26), fast, effective pker, decent offensive production for his average 12:30 career atoi, can move up to the 3rd line, ball of energy....
The rest of the signings? Got me by the balls.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That's an unnecessary risk. What if he sucks this year and decreases his value? His value is at its peak right now. Now is the time to strike.
No, the time to have struck was prior to the draft. An expiring contract for a guy like Pettersson will always be more valuable at the TDL to a team needing to bolster their defense. They get to see what's working and not working and it's easier to fit them in with the cap. Additionally, you can keep 50% or so, and by then, you know you're likely out of the hunt, so who cares. And you're right, it's not without risk. I'd rather risk it. I think most GMs would.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Mine could be summed up way more succinctly than that:

"Sometimes nice. Thinks complaining is fun much to everyone else's chagrin. Don't engage him re: Evgeni Malkin. Rocks for brains... hamburger for heart."

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

I think POJ will carve an NHL role for himself if he's ever de-Sullivanized.

Reactions: SEALBound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad