Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Probably the most interesting player in the first round, as he’s already NHL ready in the areas, it will take most of these 17-18 year olds drafts tonight, 2-3 years to catch up to. Already plays at a very high pace too, and thinks the game as well as anyone drafted tonight.

He’s definitely not far from playing in the NHL. We’re talking probably 25’-26’ season.

You can tell his dad was a former pro player as he does almost all of the little things well already.

He’ll definitely be a fan fav too. A relentless player, as we just seen playing against some of the best men in the world last month.

Best comparison I’ve seen, would be Timo Meier with more quickness and speed.

He’s one of the few Europeans you’ll find, who plays more of a North American style. Quickness in small space. In fact, he’s gonna be a better player on the smaller ice, because he can play in small space with quickness.

He’s fun to watch. Biggest question is, can he get his shot off, in the NHL? With his work ethic, pace and ability to create space in traffic, we probably shouldn’t doubt that happening.

Really good pick/player.

Can’t knock the pick at all. He checks off all those Yzerman boxes too. Plays in traffic, creates space, plays hard on the walls, etc. Unfortunately, Cole Eiserman doesn’t have those traits. Exactly why Detroit passed on him, and he fell out of the Top 20.

Time will tell who the better player ends up.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
You guys did great with this pick. I think you got exactly what you need. A physical forward with good shooting skill, probably an upgraded Bertuzzi-type player.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Good use of 15OA pick. I think he complements what we already have in the system very, very well. I am not at all worried about passing on Eiserman. I could easily see him struggling in much the same fashion as Zadina. His profile (low effort, dependent scorer with a good shot) looks great on draft day, but rarely ages well.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
It's funny to me that people are calling a guy who scored 4 goals in a men's international game a low-offense player.
Or that there are people looked at the Wings having some of the best scoring depth in the league even before Kane arrived and apparently concluded "no, the team's problem is that the offense isn't one-dimensional enough"

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
A couple different scouting reports call this guy the best defensive forward in the draft and is an absolute monster in winning board battles and puck retrievals.

Our defense on the wing positions is pretty awful, we really could use this guy now. Hopefully he can be fast tracked.

He is big enough it wouldn't be outta range for him to play 1 more year in the SHL, 1 in GRG to get tlused to NA ice, then have a very good shot at making the league in his d+3 year. Similar to how Seider did it.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
This Kasper comp is interesting, but he seems like a very different style of player. More of a power forward who has been in a defensive role. Not a two-way forward like Kasper. His hands and puck control are great. Kasper looks like he had better straight line speed in his draft year.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
This Kasper comp is interesting, but he seems like a very different style of player. More of a power forward who has been in a defensive role. Not a two-way forward like Kasper. His hands and puck control are great. Kasper looks like he had better straight line speed in his draft year.

He is nothing like Kasper outside of the fact they both have high compete levels

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think at #15 you're going to get a franchise player these days, if he turns into a good NHL player it's a win.
Larkin was #15, and Debrincat was a second rounder. Jason Robertson was also a second rounder.

If the Wings are gonna compete for a Cup, they absolutely need to nail these middle of the first round picks, and also make better use of second rounders.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
One thing to keep in mind: you don't get 100 point forwards where Detroit drafts. It would be the equivalent of winning the lottery to get a 100 point guy with the #15 pick. The last guy we drafted who consistently hit 100 point seasons was Steve Yzerman. Feds did it a couple times and Pavel came very close.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Snoww

Jun 29, 2024
No, Ole Kristian Tollefson, but he actually played for the Griffs
Bjørn "Botta" Skaare (profile pic) was the first. Red Wings picked Botta #62 in 1978. He was the first Norwegian ever in the NHL. Botta was known as an artist, but not as a physical player. Got injured by a Barry Beck tackle in his only game for the Wings late 1978. Otherwise 37-34 for Kansas City Red Wings. Got killed in a car accident age 30.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sadekuuro

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yzerman, Draper, Lidstrom and Hakan jumped up and had this kid picked before their time started. They were grinning ear-to-ear. If Yzerman and staff are pleased, then I am pleased!

Hakan?

no need to flat out make things up :laugh:

or is he invisible now?

cb6330c25cd22bd6a4e667ae46e32d32.png

735b3969db5812c98e066159d31df146.png

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don’t get worked about Yzerman picks anymore. I hate some, I love some but most are just uninspired but I hope they hit. This falls into the third category. High compete, high floor, questionable upside. This screams Draper pick. We have to wait 5 years to know if this pick is a bust or not.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
ironically I haven't really been paying a ton of attention this year and a post by you saying you hope he can be a 50 point guy is actually one of the reasons I view him as low upside

when a prospects biggest booster is saying things like that that's not a good sign

also as a general comment "physicality" doesn't really move the needle much for me especially in a forward and when most of a players scouting reports keep mentioning that as a primary focus that sends up a lot of alarm bells for me about a players upside
Just be glad we didn't have to tack on a 2nd round pick to get him.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Not an exciting pick, partly because about 80% of mock drafts picked it, for the 3rd year in a row, but a pretty sensible one, given positional need, quality of shot and ability to monitor and impact develpement.

Seens like the MO is solid, low risk, high compete every dayers with upside as the early draft core and then try to find variety from that with later picks and trades. Sooner or later the MO has to change, but I think we've learned this year that we are still very much building out the future core.

Mad that in Yzerman's first draft he nailed it going completely left field, and since then has pretty much been predicted by every mock draft going

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's really misleading re: Ferrari. Here is his latest rankings..which has him 6th - or are you claiming Ferrari thinks his #6 prospect is a "checking line winger"

"Every time I have seen Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, I have appreciated what he brings to the game more. He has so many of the pro habits that you want from a player, whether it's the intricacies of winning puck battles along the boards, where he needs to be defensively or how to help cover for his teammates. He just plays with a maturity beyond his years.

The big knock on Brandsegg-Nygard all season has been his offensive creativity and ceiling. While that was certainly evident early in the year, the way he progressed in the Allsvenskan this season was enviable. He was always on a bit of an island with Mora when it came to getting to the slot to generate scoring chances, but as the season advanced, his confidence with the puck did as well.

Brandsegg-Nygard began using his one-timer more often in space. When he was around the net, he was a hound on rebounds, beating opponents to loose pucks regularly. He isn’t a dynamic playmaker, but his ability to peel off the boards with the puck and hit a trailing teammate or find someone in pockets of space is excellent. He works the cycle as well or better than anyone in the NHL draft class, and his motor never stops. Brandsegg-Nygard is the kind of player who is a key piece on a long playoff run."

Corey Perry is the player which will come in mind. As the highest possible ceiling.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Probably the most interesting player in the first round, as he’s already NHL ready in the areas, it will take most of these 17-18 year olds drafts tonight, 2-3 years to catch up to. Already plays at a very high pace too, and thinks the game as well as anyone drafted tonight.

He’s definitely not far from playing in the NHL. We’re talking probably 25’-26’ season.

You can tell his dad was a former pro player as he does almost all of the little things well already.

He’ll definitely be a fan fav too. A relentless player, as we just seen playing against some of the best men in the world last month.

Best comparison I’ve seen, would be Timo Meier with more quickness and speed.

He’s one of the few Europeans you’ll find, who plays more of a North American style. Quickness in small space. In fact, he’s gonna be a better player on the smaller ice, because he can play in small space with quickness.

He’s fun to watch. Biggest question is, can he get his shot off, in the NHL? With his work ethic, pace and ability to create space in traffic, we probably shouldn’t doubt that happening.

Really good pick/player.

Can’t knock the pick at all. He checks off all those Yzerman boxes too. Plays in traffic, creates space, plays hard on the walls, etc. Unfortunately, Cole Eiserman doesn’t have those traits. Exactly why Detroit passed on him, and he fell out of the Top 20.

Time will tell who the better player ends up.

And he's going to play for Skellefteå which is incredible at developing talents. Gonna follow SHL closely this season. I usually do but even closer :laugh:

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad