Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I didn't watch him a lot, but any time I did, I was pretty impressed with his offensive drive. Hard nosed, play driver with a great shot. Seemed like he was all over the puck, both offensively and defensively. I'm surprised people are upset with this pick.
Not a terrible pick, just there were way better options on the board.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
MBN flosses his tooth gap with Zadina.

Great shot, straight line game to the net. Great neutral zone D. Really hard on the forecheck. Physical. I've compared him to a more skilled Lawson Crouse and Ivan Barbashev. Cory Pronman mentioned him as similar to Ryan Leonard as a prospect with a little less skill.

I mean, I'm sold when I saw that first clip of him on a breakaway he didn't shoot it into the logo.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Got the guy I thought they would. Happy with the pick. Good overall pick, for a #15 OA, he is a real solid pick.

Could they have taken a chance with an Eiserman; high risk high reward type player, of course, but this Norwegian kid is a real gamer. Exactly the type of player w you need on a Stanley cup winning roster.

Yzerman yet again takes a winner in the first round.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What a joke

Lucas Raymond is a 2 way player.

eh yes and no

is he a 2 way player? yes, but he's also a good example of the point they were making

guys like Raymond(or Benson as another recent example) that have high offensive potential and are also good defensively aren't described as two way players in their scouting reports, they'll instead get a bunch of praise for their offensive game and then their defensive game and side stuff like physicality or compete level will also get praised as applicable

as opposed to them being kinda lumped together and them getting literally called a 2 way guy, or it being reversed and the side stuff like physicality and compete level getting the primary mention alongside their defense and then the offensive skillset being mentioned as more of an afterthought

it's a subtle distinction but it's definitely a thing

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
You literally had him as one of your 2 picks 2 hours ago,

Trollllllllllllllllllllll
That’s why I said I’m good with the pick. I expected him to be there at 15. Eiserman i expected top 10, even top 5. On a team desperate for elite scoring I obviously would have preferred him.

Also, I’ve been here almost 20 years, your account is less than a year. take a hike .

• Haha
Reactions: MagicMann13

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well you think 2 way means you aren't very good offensively so your opinion is weak.

No, I didn't say anything of the sort. When you are called a 2-way player that means offence isn't your main known attribute. If you are known for being offensive then they would described you as such.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, but you need to be good. Raymond was -12 while DeBrincat who isn't defensive either was +1 and Larkin was +5. Ray was among the worst +/- on the team.
:laugh:

One of those players is trusted by the coach to close out games defensively and one isn't. I can show you scouting reports from his draft year that literally call him a 200ft or 2 way player.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
:laugh:

One of those players is trusted by the coach to close out games defensively and one isn't. I can show you scouting reports from his draft year that literally call him a 200ft or 2 way player.

Umm Larkin was out there as well and played more and was +5 vs -12. Why do I care what scouts from his draft year said? In the NHL he is definitely nothing special at all in his own end.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
MBN does so many things right you can't help but not love him. He has that pro "feel" where he does all the puck possession things right. He doesn't waste a ton of energy but he always seems to end up with the puck on his stick... Next thing you know he's forcing possession in the offensive zone and he's got the offensive chops to produce numbers with it. Danielson was overlooked a lot but he's also very much like that, except much faster lol

There's a reason he was so solidly rated across he entire actual and armchair scouting universe. Plays an NHL style game but he's not a no-hands grinder. Modern power forward who can stick on line 1, 2 or 3. Most likely a winger but there's a chance he can play C too

I actually really like the Perron comparable for him, probably more of a puck hound version with lesser playmaking but how can you not want that considering the team we are building? Gonna be f***ing hard to play against that's for sure

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
And those highlights are against MEN. I have no idea how someone can watch that and say he lacks skill or upside.

He was dominating the J20 in Sweden with 12 points in 7 games and was brought up to Modo. MBN didn't get a lot of icetime to start the year but when he was trusted more he started scoring. He was the best forward on the men's WC team. The best forward on the U20 WJC team. And he was probably his team's best forward in Allsvenskan in the postseason. It's not like that's a trash league.

Would any of you guys here feel better if we called him a Gabriel Landeskog-lite? Would that make you happier with the pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad