Prospect Info: 12th Overall 2024 Draft, LHD Zeev Buium

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I love the thought.

I don't think we could have done any better this year. And that's not a pat on the back for Mr Big balls or Brackett. Feels rather gifted other than trading up 1 spot to secure him.
I'm going to have to count my chickens before they hatch to make this point, but...

They recognized his talent, and made a trade to get him. There was luck involved, as there is with most success in life, but competence was still required to capitalize on it. If competence was not required, the Flyers would have taken him instead.

I don't love Guerin, but credit where it's due.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Only better result they could have asked for is coming away with Demidov.

Buium was extreme wishful thinking and Iginla was a cross your fingers and maybe it could happen.

Buium changes the entire makeup of the Wild’s backend going forward. A 5-8yrs stretch of prime years from an elite top pair of Buium-Faber is the stuff of dream scenarios for teams. Championship level pieces. I think Buium sees NHL time this year when Denver’s season is over. And likely never looks back much like Faber

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't value fighting extremely high, but I did very much enjoy what he did to that Nashville guy towards the end of last year (Lauzon I think?). I'd like to keep that element around at least a little bit, if it's not an exorbitant amount. And I don't think 4 x $4M is exorbitant.

To me, this is not the Foligno situation 2.0
Once this year and it's cap penalties are over, 4M to Middleton is not an issue. I have plenty of time for him and his throwback game.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I guess I'll be the counterpoint to the enthusiasm. I do like the player and the value of the pick. But I will keep my eyes on the 3rd and Luchanko (and Helenius, my preference). Buium has upside, for sure, but he certainly didn't pop for me like Quinn or Luke Hughes did, as a guy with can't-miss elite skill. Buium looked good, but there's a bit of carelessness in his game, along with average physicality. When you talk about a defenseman with top-four potential, that also includes Cup finalists such as Brandon Montour or Cody Ceci. The Wild are still a long way away from a competitive blueline.

Just imagining Billy G on the phone with Briere: "who are you guys thinking?" "why, who do you like?" "Buium." "Oh, that's our guy too." "Dangit, how about a fourth to swap?" "Make it a third." "Done."

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love the thought.

I don't think we could have done any better this year. And that's not a pat on the back for Mr Big balls or Brackett. Feels rather gifted other than trading up 1 spot to secure him.
But we were the only team who did trade up to get Buium. Every other team could've. I give Guerin a big :thumbu: for recognizing the situation, and reacting in real time.

Counterpoint to counterpoint. Buium scored at historic levels, and was a major reason that his team won a national championship. While he is of average size, he's thick, and not small. Also has decent defense, though it can use work. I think he is a superior player to Parekh, and at least the equal of Levshunov. Only dmen i would rather have had were Dickinson and Silayev, and even those are a maybe, and of a different type.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
But we were the only team who did trade up to get Buium. Every other team could've. I give Guerin a big :thumbu: for recognizing the situation, and reacting in real time.

Counterpoint to counterpoint. Buium scored at historic levels, and was a major reason that his team won a national championship. While he is of average size, he's thick, and not small. Also has decent defense, though it can use work. I think he is a superior player to Parekh, and at least the equal of Levshunov. Only dmen i would rather have had were Dickinson and Silayev, and even those are a maybe.
BG even said that it was Brackett that made the call to move up

Reactions: TaLoN

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Just imagining Billy G on the phone with Briere: "who are you guys thinking?" "why, who do you like?" "Buium." "Oh, that's our guy too." "Dangit, how about a fourth to swap?" "Make it a third." "Done."

I wouldn't be surprised if Guerin and Brackett were more worried about some other team trading up to 12

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I guess I'll be the counterpoint to the enthusiasm. I do like the player and the value of the pick. But I will keep my eyes on the 3rd and Luchanko (and Helenius, my preference). Buium has upside, for sure, but he certainly didn't pop for me like Quinn or Luke Hughes did, as a guy with can't-miss elite skill. Buium looked good, but there's a bit of carelessness in his game, along with average physicality. When you talk about a defenseman with top-four potential, that also includes Cup finalists such as Brandon Montour or Cody Ceci. The Wild are still a long way away from a competitive blueline.

On the last point I think Briere could outright say "Luchanko", which is GM-speak for "I could trade back multiple spots and still get my guy, and credibly have one other team on the line to jump in front of you."

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
After experiencing my high and I calmed down...I have Buium is our #3 prospect behind Yurov and Wallstedt.

He is an excellent puck mover, not a rusher or creative PP wizard but moves the puck out of the zone extremely quickly and smartly. He isn't going blow past players to rush into the zone but he's good on his edges and will move along the blueline very quickly with edges and agility.

But I love him because he's the best all-round package in the defensive prospects available after Levyshunov. I would argue he's the smartest out of them all (smarter than Levyshunov, definitely smarter than Yakeumchuk, Parekh, and Silayshev) and he's going to be an agile 6-0 195lbs, not some undersized guy.

This guy isn't a Makar or Hughes. But i've read comparisons on Morrissey/Fowler/Forsling and I think those are about right. Smart, two-way guys with above average offensive skills, enough to man a PP and produce 35-45 points, not a true #1 but a great #2. Faber will be the #1 guy.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
After experiencing my high and I calmed down...I have Buium is our #3 prospect behind Yurov and Wallstedt.

He is an excellent puck mover, not a rusher or creative PP wizard but moves the puck out of the zone extremely quickly and smartly. He isn't going blow past players to rush into the zone but he's good on his edges and will move along the blueline very quickly with edges and agility.

But I love him because he's the best all-round package in the defensive prospects available after Levyshunov. I would argue he's the smartest out of them all (smarter than Levyshunov, definitely smarter than Yakeumchuk, Parekh, and Silayshev) and he's going to be an agile 6-0 195lbs, not some undersized guy.

This guy isn't a Makar or Hughes. But i've read comparisons on Morrissey/Fowler/Forsling and I think those are about right. Smart, two-way guys with above average offensive skills, enough to man a PP and produce 35-45 points, not a true #1 but a great #2. Faber will be the #1 guy.
I'm hoping Fox. I see a lot of similarities.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hopefully not already posted article could be steal of draft. MSN article quotes russo saying wild offered WPG #13 for mcroarty but pulled offer when buium was still available. interesting.

Reactions: BagHead

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't follow draft-eligible prospects at all, so I'm never familiar with anyone outside of the top couple of picks, but the near-universal positive reaction to this is pretty cool. I'm thrilled since everyone else is.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He reminds me so much of fox
TBH, he is much better than Fox at a similar age - no one foresaw Fox being what he became. Fox is similar to Fabes, in that respect, but stylistically, agree about Fox= Buium.

Fox playing for Harvard made him hard to get a read on. Fox= Healey?:sarcasm:

I don't follow draft-eligible prospects at all, so I'm never familiar with anyone outside of the top couple of picks, but the near-universal positive reaction to this is pretty cool. I'm thrilled since everyone else is.
Don't get use to it. We'll be bitching about things come Monday.

• Haha
Reactions: Wild11MN

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Sharks fan here. We've been collectively in love with Buium for a long time. When he fell to that pick, people were elated that we had a choice between him and Dickinson. Apparently, our GM had Dickinson rated higher, so he took him.

IMO, you guys got the best D in the draft including Levshunov. Can't believe he was the last of the six to be picked, that's just insane to me. At some point, forget the measurements and trust your eyes. I think many teams from this draft will regret passing on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad