Rumor: "Decision has been made" to trade or waive Trouba - Larry Brooks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Teams don’t want unhappy players either. Remember that for those who think SJ would claim him. If they do, that means they have a back door deal with another team. I don’t think they have any retention spots available though. So they’d presumably be taking bad money from another team. Someone like Justin Holl. That way Detroit doesn’t have to eat any of his salary.

Still think it’s a long shot anyone would claim him at $8 million.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Teams don’t want unhappy players either. Remember that for those who think SJ would claim him. If they do, that means they have a back door deal with another team. I don’t think they have any retention spots available though. So they’d presumably be taking bad money from another team. Someone like Justin Holl. That way Detroit doesn’t have to eat any of his salary.

Still think it’s a long shot anyone would claim him at $8 million.
Your premise is not very sound. It's in the Sharks' own self-interest to claim Trouba, play him on their team the next season and a half, then trade him to one of his approved teams for literally anything.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Your premise is not very sound. It's in the Sharks' own self-interest to claim Trouba, play him on their team the next season and a half, then trade him to one of his approved teams for literally anything.
You're assuming that Trouba would want to play in San Jose. Which, given the context of uprooting his family or playing 3000 miles away from them, seems like a giant assumption.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You're assuming that Trouba would want to play in San Jose. Which, given the context of uprooting his family or playing 3000 miles away from them, seems like a giant assumption.
No, I'm sure Trouba doesn't want to play in San Jose but if he gets waived and claimed, what are his options? He either plays through it or he sits out and the latter is very unlikely when it probably results in suspension w/o pay.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
No, I'm sure Trouba doesn't want to play in San Jose but if he gets waived and claimed, what are his options? He either plays through it or he sits out and the latter is very unlikely when it probably results in suspension w/o pay.
Because teams don’t want unhappy players. Especially around young kids.

Reactions: HBK27

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I take it back. Trouba's just making sure NYR don't make a bad signing today.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm assuming NYR gave a period of time for Trouba to make his decision before making their decision to make a decision about the original decision.
Yep. Good bet they’ve giving him some time to decide.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks are willingly taking another horrendous deal from the Rangers? What does Drury have on Grier
Since the player would be a significant improvement on their blue line and would likely get trade value out of him, yeah. The Sharks don't exactly have great options for making their blue line better right now.

Reactions: LokiDog

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Since the player would be a significant improvement on their blue line and would likely get trade value out of him, yeah. The Sharks don't exactly have great options for making their blue line better right now.
Overpaying literally any of the top D available today would have been a better option than just gifting a team a way out of a jam and picking up a player who will pretty clearly not be happy about being there

Reactions: themelkman

Rullailija

Oct 29, 2017
Trouba would be excellent for the Sharks' room, and they could easily flip him for decent value next year at the DL. Doubt he wants to go out west though.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
In a waiver claim to circumvent his NTC? Boy would the NHLPA have a field day with that.

Folks are already up in arms over them circumventing Goodrow's NTC. I suspect them suddenly giving a good pick for future considerations or a terrible prospect would be too obvious

Nothing they can do about it. In the past it has commonly been threatened and I believe done before as well.

It's how Tyler Johnson ended up in chicago. They made the same threat the Rangers are here.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Overpaying literally any of the top D available today would have been a better option than just gifting a team a way out of a jam and picking up a player who will pretty clearly not be happy about being there
Sure if those players were actually willing to sign but they probably weren't. Since a lot of players also have trade protections that include the Sharks, the Sharks need to make competitive additions through whatever means are available. They're too awful of a team in a poor location as it relates to taxes and amenities compared to other NHL markets to wait for someone to appear out of thin air willing to play there. If Trouba is on waivers, the Sharks have a competitive need to claim him and use him.
Trouba would be excellent for the Sharks' room, and they could easily flip him for decent value next year at the DL. Doubt he wants to go out west though.
I agree on all this but sometimes it doesn't matter what the player wants.

Reactions: Rullailija

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Sure if those players were actually willing to sign but they probably weren't. Since a lot of players also have trade protections that include the Sharks, the Sharks need to make competitive additions through whatever means are available. They're too awful of a team in a poor location as it relates to taxes and amenities compared to other NHL markets to wait for someone to appear out of thin air willing to play there. If Trouba is on waivers, the Sharks have a competitive need to claim him and use him.
Here's hoping they see a competitive need for Josh Anderson

• Haha
Reactions: jMoneyBrah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad