Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Good take.

I see that you’re not expecting much from the Pens, but you’re still overvaluing them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold off at the TDL.

As for the Isles, I agree they should battle for fourth place. In an ordinary year, that would likely guarantee them of the last playoff spots. The upcoming year may be different with only three teams coming out of the Metro.
Islanders were in 6th place when Lambert was fired. Their record under Roy was near the top of the division. A full season should be better than 4th.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Islanders were in 6th place when Lambert was fired. Their record under Roy was near the top of the division. A full season should be better than 4th.
The upside of the coaching change we can agree on.

I still don’t see how the Isles beat out the Rags, Devils or Canes. Stranger things have happened so I’ll try to keep the faith.

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Tarasenko is the best available UFA.
It is an outside chance, but they could sign him to a 1y/4m contract
and then move JGP and his contract giving the Isles a chance to sign another vet F - maybe Cal.

In this scenario, they could move Barzal back to C
  • Tsyplakov - Barzal - Tank
  • Lee - Horvat - Duke
  • Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Holmstrom - Cizikas - Clutterbuck/Maclean/Fasching
If they don't, then here you go
  • Barzal - Horvat - Tsyplakov
  • Duke - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Lee - Pageau - Engvall
  • Holmstrom - Cizikas - Maclean/Fasching
Tanks has two Cups. He’s lost a LOT of money based on his STL long term contract going sideways.

Is he trying to make up for lost cash (OTT) or trying to win more? He signed with OTT to get paid, but also knowing he can pack his bags later in the season for a run somewhere and more teams can afford his cap hit.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Agreed. When Engvall was working well with Nelson and Palmieri, it was partly because he's a pretty good puck transporter and zone entry guy. Nelson and Palms need that on their line. Is Duclair good at those things?
Engvall transition strength seems to be facilitating the breakout. Duclair maybe more of an NZ guy. I do think Engvall is more likely passer.

Reactions: doublechili

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Am I the only person who doesn’t like what Carolina did at all? I honestly don’t think they’re that much better than the Isles right now.
Big step backwards IMO. They're also potentially losing Orlov and Burns after this year. I dunno if they have talent in their system but just feels like their defense, which had been a huge strength, is looking weaker in the short term.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Think the Isles if they stay healthy will be a team with a collective chip on their shoulders, playing for a coach that will be driven and determined to do what it takes to maximize the lineup.

5th in the conference and who knows what happens in the spring

Reactions: Potvottier

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Can anyone explain what the heck the Ducks are doing? Running out kiddie corps HURTS a rebuild and they may be looking at Buffalo-like playoff drought.

They should be taking on short term veterans to provide some balance and guidance.

Big step backwards IMO. They're also potentially losing Orlov and Burns after this year. I dunno if they have talent in their system but just feels like their defense, which had been a huge strength, is looking weaker in the short term.
Carolina missed their window. Not impressed with them and I think Waddell moving on wasn’t a comfy signal to the market and it cost them.

A 40 year old Burns. Kuzy over 82 games? Freddy? Yeah, these guys are toast.

Reactions: mm11

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Think the Isles if they stay healthy will be a team with a collective chip on their shoulders, playing for a coach that will be driven and determined to do what it takes to maximize the lineup.

The bottom six is still a tbd until Martin/Clutter sign elsewhere or Lou fills it externally shortly.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
As it stands -
  1. Rangers - The Rangers are still tops in the Metro - even if they keep Trouba adding Reilly Smith to support the top 6 is a solid move.
  2. Devils - GREAT offseason. Last year they rid themselves of 2 vets and did not solve their goalie issue. This year they did, giving Hughes and Nemec strong mentorship and Markstrom will play well for them.
  3. Canes - They took a hit, but they have Necas move that could help make them better. They also have $ to add another top 6 F. - Tarasenko? Blueline has been redone and is not as strong, but still solid
  4. Isles - Sorokin and D play needs to be better as well as PK. Tsyplakov is a wildcard - They should get 20 goals from Duke but if they could get 20 from Maxim, then it pushes them into the playoffs
  5. CAPS - much better retool than in the past. Big Gamble on PLD - goaltending will be their achilles, but that D corp is very strong. They are almost 5m over the cap and need to move players out. Toss up between Isles for that 4th spot - Goaltending will be the differencemaker.
  6. Pens - They may fall off a cliff and be the worst team in the Metro. Dubas may get his rebuild.
  7. Flyers - They continue to rebuild and play hard... interested to see Michkov effect - could be challenging if he has the impact Kaprizov had on Wild.
  8. BlueJakcets - Bottom of the division - Not sure if they will be able to move Laine- maybe to Seattle for Bjorkstrand + otherwise just young and not good enough.
  9. Panthers - Defending Champs
  10. Lightning - The PP comes down to earth without Stammer. Still a very strong team
  11. Bruins - They certainly improved and are always difficult to play against.
  12. Sabres - This is the year- lots of $ left to add another piece - maybe Necas... young core steps up.
  13. Leafs - This is the year that Toronto loses it - Goaltending and D a huge issue for me - Tanev and Woll are injury -prone and with the lack of depth throughout their roster - all of sudden they are not only not playoff bound - they could plummet to the bottom of the stadnings.
  14. Senators - Better - they have a goalie and it will be a nailbiter to the end on who secures that final wildcard spot.
  15. Wings - Another year without playoffs.
  16. HABS - Ho-hum
My Metro prediction:
Devils
Isles
Canes
Rangers
Caps
Flyers
Pens
CBJ

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Ya, think Jack Hughes and the Devs will be a machine with alot to prove. Do think the Rags may stumble a bit with the weirdness of trouba lingering and the Lavy new coach smell lingering off. Depends if Shesty has it in 2nd gear like he did during the regular season last year

Also, can the rags rely on a 120 point season from breadman and for Lafy to ride the coat tails in the regular season?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just for protocol...
1720041652038.png

A little surprised that Gill's camp didn't demand an ELC.

Tarasenko is the best available UFA.

Just signed with Detroit.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can anyone explain what the heck the Ducks are doing? Running out kiddie corps HURTS a rebuild and they may be looking at Buffalo-like playoff drought.

They should be taking on short term veterans to provide some balance and guidance.

I think they're just waiting for a few teams to come along and PAY them to take on a veteran contract a team is looking to jettison.

Little more than that.

Carolina missed their window. Not impressed with them and I think Waddell moving on wasn’t a comfy signal to the market and it cost them.

A 40 year old Burns. Kuzy over 82 games? Freddy? Yeah, these guys are toast.

A drop could very well come.

They do however have one of the best and deepest prospect bins in the league and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of those kids step right in and keep them right at the level they're used to being at.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I like that Lou has kept the draft picks this year, acquired an additional 2nd, and signed a player under 30 to a deal. I believe the current path is to play it out (while possibly acquiring a younger forward) and wait until it is easier to get rid of the Lee/Pageau contracts along with Nelson and Palmieri being off the books. This will free up a ton of cash while the hope would be by this point Holmstrom would be developed into a defensively dependable second liner, Eiserman pushing his way into the lineup, and tons of additional cap space to work with.

I am currently a bit surprised we have not seen a change of scenery trade for Wahlstrom yet. While people are saying Pageau has value in a trade I will not believe it until I see it. He is a shell of his former self. Ehlers staying in WPG as of now makes me think it is known that he is going to test free agency after his deal is up.

Lou needs to continue keeping draft picks, continue restocking the cupboard (AKA trade down), bring in one more forward via trade, and be willing to pivot off of Nelson/Palmieri.
This is really the way to get the islanders healthy anyways, which is good. Im very glad they got Eiserman period.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Burns, Slavin, Orlov, Chatfield, Ghost, Walker, and an upcoming Morrow, a bluechipper who may push his way into the top 4 this season.

Then SUPER prospect Alex Nikishin, the KHL's top defender who has been NHL-ready for two years now, will step right in next season.

They're not worried.

Reactions: Glorydays22

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Just make the PK average and theyll jump up the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad