Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Reactions: 57special

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I think he'll dominate another year at Denver, sign in March/April 2025, and get games to end next year with the Wild. I think he's too good for 3 full years in the NCAA, 2 should be good enough. But who knows.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think he'll dominate another year at Denver, sign in March/April 2025, and get games to end next year with the Wild. I think he's too good for 3 full years in the NCAA, 2 should be good enough. But who knows.
I believe the only reason he's going back at this point is because of his young age. He doesn't turn 19 until December 7th. 18 is such a tough age to make it in the NHL as a defender. I think mentally he could handle it, but physically, he is going to need the extra year. He can get some games late in the year if management deems fit, otherwise, he'll wait for the start of season 2025.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I believe the only reason he's going back at this point is because of his young age. He doesn't turn 19 until December 7th. 18 is such a tough age to make it in the NHL as a defender. I think mentally he could handle it, but physically, he is going to need the extra year. He can get some games late in the year if management deems fit, otherwise, he'll wait for the start of season 2025.
Endurance is key. IMO, we saw a few guys a few years older struggle a little down the stretch of the season because their endurance wasn’t to the level of their minutes.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Endurance is key. IMO, we saw a few guys a few years older struggle a little down the stretch of the season because their endurance wasn’t to the level of their minutes.
I agree, but defense is just more physically challenging which is why so few undersized D men become truly great.
Spurgeon has only had his level of success because of how smart he is, he he still gets pushed around A LOT.

Zeev is smart as well, but there will be growing pains in the transition, realizing what he can and can't get away with, so having a bit more time to solidify himself physically will only help.

Coming from NCAA to the NHL endurance wise will be an issue anyway, every player making that jump slows a bit in the 2nd half of the season.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I agree, but defense is just more physically challenging which is why so few undersized D men become truly great.
Spurgeon has only had his level of success because of how smart he is, he he still gets pushed around A LOT.

Zeev is smart as well, but there will be growing pains in the transition, realizing what he can and can't get away with, so having a bit more time to solidify himself physically will only help.

Coming from NCAA to the NHL endurance wise will be an issue anyway, every player making that jump slows a bit in the 2nd half of the season.
You start to lose me with the undersized talk and bringing Spurgeon into the conversation. Buium is 3” taller and 20lbs heavier as an 18 year old. He’s not comparable to Spurgeon in size at all.

Ideally, Zeev would add 15lbs of muscle and be the same size as Faber.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You start to lose me with the undersized talk and bringing Spurgeon into the conversation. Buium is 3” taller and 20lbs heavier as an 18 year old. He’s not comparable to Spurgeon in size at all.

Ideally, Zeev would add 15lbs of muscle and be the same size as Faber.
Never said he was undersized. Just that he needs to fill out. The kid is only 18. He's not big, will benefit from another year to get more solid.

Was just using Spurgeon as an example of how hard it can be physically on defense. Spurgeon IS 20lbs heavier than he was and still get pushed around. Most 18 year olds struggle to maintain position on defense when making the jump, which is why so few 18yro defensemen make the jump.

Zeev will likely be 20lbs heavier yet when he fills out. Get to the 200-206lb range.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Never said he was undersized. Just that he needs to fill out. The kid is only 18. He's not big, will benefit from another year to get more solid.

Was just using Spurgeon as an example of how hard it can be physically on defense. Spurgeon IS 20lbs heavier than he was and still get pushed around. Most 18 year olds struggle to maintain position on defense when making the jump, which is why so few 18yro defensemen make the jump.

Zeev will likely be 20lbs heavier yet when he fills out. Get to the 200-206lb range.
That's because Spurgeon is a paperweight. A commoner like me could go into the crease and bully that dude easily. He's a huge problem come playoff time. They should honestly consider putting him on the 3rd pairing or just not playing him at all if we do make it this year. Minimize the time he can be abused. I can't wait for the day he is no longer on this team. Maybe Billy can work some trade magic soon...

Chisholm is 6'1" 190lbs and I don't recall him getting bullied like Spurgeon or Addison. That is basically the same size as Buium.

All I'm saying is that I doubt size and ability to withstand phsyicality are what is holding Buium back from playing this year. Likely has more to do with the four LHD on the NHL roster. Part of me wonders if there was a 3rd pairing spot to be had to start this year, if Buium would have been the front runner for it or if they still would have sent him back to college.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's because Spurgeon is a paperweight. A commoner like me could go into the crease and bully that dude easily. He's a huge problem come playoff time. They should honestly consider putting him on the 3rd pairing or just not playing him at all if we do make it this year. Minimize the time he can be abused. I can't wait for the day he is no longer on this team. Maybe Billy can work some trade magic soon...

Chisholm is 6'1" 190lbs and I don't recall him getting bullied like Spurgeon or Addison. That is basically the same size as Buium.

All I'm saying is that I doubt size and ability to withstand phsyicality are what is holding Buium back from playing this year. Likely has more to do with the four LHD on the NHL roster. Part of me wonders if there was a 3rd pairing spot to be had to start this year, if Buium would have been the front runner for it or if they still would have sent him back to college.
Spurgeon is far and away a better defensive player than Chisholm. I mean, it's not even close. Chisholm has to work hard to be to be even a mediocre defender in the NHL, while Spurgeon has been one of the better two way Dmen in the league for years. His understanding of how to use leverage, his stick, and just overall smarts while defending dwarfs Chisholm's abilities. That's why one has been a first pairing Dman for a decade, and the other was a waiver pickup.

Tape measure scouting is lazy. There are all sorts of variations with body sizes. Some 6'1" players are soft, and non physical. Others can be tough as nails.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Spurgeon is far and away a better defensive player than Chisholm. I mean, it's not even close. Chisholm has to work hard to be to be even a mediocre defender in the NHL, while Spurgeon has been one of the better two way Dmen in the league for years. His understanding of how to use leverage, his stick, and just overall smarts while defending dwarfs Chisholm's abilities. That's why one has been a first pairing Dman for a decade, and the other was a waiver pickup.

Tape measure scouting is lazy. There are all sorts of variations with body sizes. Some 6'1" players are soft, and non physical. Others can be tough as nails.
You’re not following what I’m saying. I’m talking the ability to withstand physicality. There’s a reason we basically need to put Middleton next to Spurgeon. He gets abused. He’s a big part of the reason this team sucks in the playoffs.

I do recall Brodin getting abused for playing soft. There was even a mention from Russo that Wild management are not happy with Brodin because he either does not or cannot clear the crease. So your last point is valid in that height and weight are not everything.

P10p

May 15, 2012
You’re not following what I’m saying. I’m talking the ability to withstand physicality. There’s a reason we basically need to put Middleton next to Spurgeon. He gets abused. He’s a big part of the reason this team sucks in the playoffs.

I do recall Brodin getting abused for playing soft. There was even a mention from Russo that Wild management are not happy with Brodin because he either does not or cannot clear the crease. So your last point is valid in that height and weight are not everything.
I think Middleton with Spurgeon is more so for Middleton than it is for Spurgeon.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think Middleton with Spurgeon is more so for Middleton than it is for Spurgeon.
Middleton shouldn’t be in the top 4 at all. His sole purpose for being there to begin with was because Goligoski-Spurgeon was an extremely soft pairing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
His sole purpose for being there is because he's the 2nd best LD we have/had on the roster, that's it.

Reactions: P10p

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
His sole purpose for being there is because he's the 2nd best LD we have/had on the roster, that's it.
And what’s his redeeming quality that puts him there? It sure isn’t offensive output. It sure isn’t his skating. It sure isn’t some superb ability to pass the puck.

I don’t want Buium playing with Spurgeon. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And what’s his redeeming quality that puts him there? It sure isn’t offensive output. It sure isn’t his skating. It sure isn’t some superb ability to pass the puck.

I don’t want Buium playing with Spurgeon. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Well, you better buckle up.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Being better than every other LD besides Brodin
So you’ve got Middleton as having better offensive capabilities than Chisholm? Better passing too? Better skating as well?

That’s certainly something.
Well, you better buckle up.
I have yet to listen to Russo’s podcast, but I heard that he said he doesn’t think either of Spurgeon or Brodin finish their contract here. Please let it be true for Spurgeon.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have yet to listen to Russo’s podcast, but I heard that he said he doesn’t think either of Spurgeon or Brodin finish their contract here. Please let it be true for Spurgeon.
Well, he only has 3 years left and probably isn't going anywhere this year, so I'm not too worried about it. His contract will be up as Buium comes off his ELC, so no worries there.

Putting playoff failures on 1 guy is dumb.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

It's not MMA. It's hockey. Size and strength are nice, but only a part of the puzzle, when defending. I'm giving Spurgeon a pass last year because he was playing on one leg(as someone who is no stranger to hip problems, I have an idea what he was going through just to stand on the ice,nvm skate), but prior to that he and Brodin are clearly our best defenders. Their combination of skating, skill, smarts, and technique are simply superior to what else we have, Faber excepted. I've lost track of how many times they have made fantastic defensive plays saving goals.

Middleton is probably our best old school crease clearer, but he has slow feet, which prevents him from getting to players as quickly as Brodin and Spurgeon do. Just think of the Dman as models of cars. Middleton is a clunky old pickup, Brodin is a luxurious, fast, but somewhat anonymous Lexus, and Spurgeon is a Cooper. All have their place.

Reactions: Puhis

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So you’ve got Middleton as having better offensive capabilities than Chisholm? Better passing too? Better skating as well?

That’s certainly something.

I've got Middleton as being a better hockey player than Chisholm as of last season.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's not MMA. It's hockey. Size and strength are nice, but only a part of the puzzle, when defending. I'm giving Spurgeon a pass last year because he was playing on one leg(as someone who is no stranger to hip problems, I have an idea what he was going through just to stand on the ice,nvm skate), but prior to that he and Brodin are clearly our best defenders. Their combination of skating, skill, smarts, and technique are simply superior to what else we have, Faber excepted. I've lost track of how many times they have made fantastic defensive plays saving goals.

Middleton is probably our best old school crease clearer, but he has slow feet, which prevents him from getting to players as quickly as Brodin and Spurgeon do. Just think of the Dman as models of cars. Middleton is a clunky old pickup, Brodin is a luxurious, fast, but somewhat anonymous Lexus, and Spurgeon is a Cooper. All have their place.
Spurgeon has been a liability for years in the playoffs. He is exhibit 1 for why this team never makes it past the 1st round.
I've got Middleton as being a better hockey player than Chisholm as of last season.
Why don’t you give me the run down on what Middleton is better at that doesn’t take into account his size or physicality.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00