Prospect Info: 122nd Overall 2024 Draft, LHD Aron Kiviharju

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But if Aron Kiviharju turns into a 2019 version of Spurgeon and can then be traded for assets, is that not good value for a 4th round pick?

This is the ultimate point here. If this pick ends up becoming a younger cheaper Spurgeon, and we don't want that, you can trade that player for a hell of a lot more than a 6'3 bottom pair physical D.

There's more overall value (potentially) in a pick like this.

Reactions: TaLoN

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
But if Aron Kiviharju turns into a 2019 version of Spurgeon and can then be traded for assets, is that not good value for a 4th round pick?
Sure. If we can trade him for a future 1st, where we can get players that might actually help a playoff run, that would be great.

If the point is to get future value it makes sense.

If the point is to have him play on our team and have aspirations of winning the Cup… That’s terrible planning.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Sure. If we can trade him for a future 1st, where we can get players that might actually help a playoff run, that would be great.

If the point is to get future value it makes sense.

If the point is to have him play on our team and have aspirations of winning the Cup… That’s terrible planning.
Isn't that the point of drafting BPA, though? To either hope that player develops and makes your team better to hopefully win a cup, or, if you have a surplus of talent at that position, you then trade that player away to fill a need?

Reactions: Slotski and TaLoN

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Isn't that the point of drafting BPA, though? To either hope that player develops and makes your team better to hopefully win a cup, or, if you have a surplus of talent at that position, you then trade that player away to fill a need?
We have an endless list of LD in the system. We have Brodin-Middleton locked for at least four years. Chisholm will be re-signed. Buium is going to get first dibs at the NHL level of our prospects. Peart. Lambos. O’Rourke. Hunt. Pionk. The depth at LD is so mind numbingly stupid. Kiviharju will be lucky to even play AHL at this point. There’s no room for him. 3-4 LD prospects will need to be traded just to find an AHL spot for him. How do you expect his value to rise if he can’t even find a spot to play?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
We have an endless list of LD in the system. We have Brodin-Middleton locked for at least four years. Chisholm will be re-signed. Buium is going to get first dibs at the NHL level of our prospects. Peart. Lambos. O’Rourke. Hunt. Pionk. The depth at LD is so mind numbingly stupid. Kiviharju will be lucky to even play AHL at this point. There’s no room for him. 3-4 LD prospects will need to be traded just to find an AHL spot for him. How do you expect his value to rise if he can’t even find a spot to play?
He's 18. My guess is he won't play in Iowa for at least 2 years. I think Lambos and ROR are busts. I think Hunt will be up as a 6th/7th D or gone in 2 to 3 years. Will see if Pionk even gets a contract. Buium will probably be with the Wild.

In 2-3 years, the LHD will look quite a bit different IMO, and if some of the above mentioned turn it around and play their way onto the team and there is no room for him, assuming he has developed at all, then trade him.

For 122nd overall, I am not going to have heart burn over a kid that has been highly touted most of his life. If he ends up becoming what he was projected to be the last few years prior to injuries, the Wild will make room for him by jettisoning other players or finding a willing trade partner.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He's 18. My guess is he won't play in Iowa for at least 2 years. I think Lambos and ROR are busts. I think Hunt will be up as a 6th/7th D or gone in 2 to 3 years. Will see if Pionk even gets a contract. Buium will probably be with the Wild.

In 2-3 years, the LHD will look quite a bit different IMO, and if some of the above mentioned turn it around and play their way onto the team and there is no room for him, assuming he has developed at all, then trade him.

For 122nd overall, I am not going to have heart burn over a kid that has been highly touted most of his life. If he ends up becoming what he was projected to be the last few years prior to injuries, the Wild will make room for him by jettisoning other players or finding a willing trade partner.
I just think it was extremely poor planning on all accounts, like they just burned the pick.

1. Don't need LD as already evidenced.
2. Teams don't generally win Cups with small defenders.
3. Injury history (knee)

I would rather have taken on a chance on Riley Patterson, a 6'1" right shot center that produced the same as Beaudoin on the same team, or Simon Zether, a 6'3" right shot center playing over in Sweden. Both players taken shortly after Kiviharju. Hell, Hagen Burrows from Minnetonka was right in that area too.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly I don't recall a prospect sliding as much as him and then suddenly rebounding to become a top 5 even top 100 prospect.
The odds are against him. The odds are against all 4th rounders. Still, I'd rather pick a 4th rounder who has shown 1st round skill than a 4th rounder who has shown 1st round size, if I have to pick between the two... which I do, because it's the 4th round and the guys with both are long gone.

I'm not looking for this kid to become a top-5 player in his draft. I'll be excited, and it will have been a success, if he's top-30 or 40. If your expectation is for your 4th rounders to be top-5 players in their draft, you're going to be consistently disappointed.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Don’t get the hate here. 4th rounder is a dart throw and this guy has more upside than most. The LHD in the system are all coming off underwhelming years, with the possible exception of Hunt. They couldn’t even lift an AHL team out of the basement so why would we account for them in our longterm plans for the NHL. They have so show something first.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The odds are against him. The odds are against all 4th rounders. Still, I'd rather pick a 4th rounder who has shown 1st round skill than a 4th rounder who has shown 1st round size, if I have to pick between the two... which I do, because it's the 4th round and the guys with both are long gone.

I'm not looking for this kid to become a top-5 player in his draft. I'll be excited, and it will have been a success, if he's top-30 or 40. If your expectation is for your 4th rounders to be top-5 players in their draft, you're going to be consistently disappointed.
Oh, I absolutely get that. I thought he offered tremendous value in the 4th, but the likelyhood of him being anything more than maybe a depth defenseman is pretty low.

Reactions: BagHead

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN

With how Iowa is going, I think it is very likely that O'Rourke gets cut loose when his contract is done, which frees up a spot. Hunt will likely become the NHL #7D in the near future, rotating in with Bogosian even after Buium hopefully knocks Middleton down the depth chart.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Kiviharju comes to the Q this year or next (probably the latter) for a year to learn more about the North American game, then heads back to Finland for another year, pinning him at coming over three seasons from now as a 21 year old.

By then, O'Rourke is gone. Hunt is gone. Peart and Lambos will probably be holding down spots in the top-4 but there will be plenty of spots available, especially if someone shows versatility and can switch and play on the right side.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And the 2nd round pick has a much better chance of making the NHL.

A late 4th round pick seems exactly the type of place in a draft where you take a chance on a talent that has fallen 60-90 spots below his projected draft spot due to his injury/size.
At least we can agree on one thing.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So does this one, seemingly to everyone except you
I simply disagree. Hence the reason the discussion is longer…

You guys like the midget that plays a position we have an abundance of and has injury issues.

I like the big right shot forwards that went shortly after him.

Burrows was 72nd in Pronman’s 7 round mock right before the draft. He was there at 122. Patterson was 94th in the mock. Available at 122… Zether was 68th in the mock. Available at 122…

There were other fallers that made more sense for our organization in my personal opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad