OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
With moving country twice, changing jobs, and lots of other shitty life things...

basically did not work out properly in a year. And tbf before then was not killing myself, just doing maybe 2 5km runs and 2 2km swims a week for the previous 2 years...

My god it is incredible the amount of fitness you lose. Almost depressing level incredible ahaha.

Went from still running 5km in sub-20 minutes a year ago without "properly training" to struggling to hit 29 minutes today. (albeit it is 100f)

Supposed to be doing a sprint triathlon in around 6 weeks to motivate myself to get back to a good level of fitness... not sure if I want to now ahaha.
Im not brave enough to do real cardio like that anymore. But anytime I miss a week of lifting I come back to the gym and feel like I'm starting all over. I can't imagine a year off

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Anyone interested in seeing Blink tomorrow? I got tickets for the wife and I when they went on sale, then the wife decided to invite a friend and their family to stay with us tomorrow night.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Jaguar has been know for frequent and exorbitant repair costs for 50 yrs. How do they stay in business?

They have a cool mascot and are a beautiful standard colour...

and they are British. Ahahaha.

50-70 year old ex-working or middle class Brits who held a Jag up as their holy grail of "making it" are the reason really. (I say that as someone whose Grandad drove a Gold Jaguar for a while ahahaha) I wonder what the correlation is between buying a Jaguar, having your first Grand-child, and divorce... I guess quite strong.

I actually used to go to JLR headquarters (Castle Bromwich) once every few weeks in an old job - hilariously to help staff their get free bicycle repairs...

I could say something about not trusting Brummies to do anything well... let alone making high-end cars... but that would be my hatred of Birmingham coming through and not based in reality as everyone seemed lovely ahahaha.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Jaguar has been know for frequent and exorbitant repair costs for 50 yrs. How do they stay in business?
When you make cars that look like this people cut you some slack.

1950-jaguar-xk120-alloy-roadster

JagEtypeReplacementPanelsImage11111507.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Finished Dune yesterday; the book, not the movie. One of the better things I've read in a long time. I almost never read sci-fi because the writing isn't fun and usually most of the book is dense exposition to slog through.

This wasn't that. What I appreciated the most I think is that Herbert inundates you with the details but he doesn't spend all day explaining what everything is. He drops you in the world, sets the scene and let's your imagination fill in the gaps. You can almost see how much he edited the manuscript like an architect purposely effacing something already built in order to make it more functional for the people living in it.

It's crazy to think that a white guy, an American in the late 50's early 60's no less, had such an understanding of Islam and Arabic culture and history that he was able to incorporate it so seamlessly into an esoteric world such as this. Brings up a lot of interesting social and political implications vis a vis the West's current relationship to the East and it's thought and philosophy and social structure but that's a post for another day.

Would recommend.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Finished Dune yesterday; the book, not the movie. One of the better things I've read in a long time. I almost never read sci-fi because the writing isn't fun and usually most of the book is dense exposition to slog through.

This wasn't that. What I appreciated the most I think is that Herbert inundates you with the details but he doesn't spend all day explaining what everything is. He drops you in the world, sets the scene and let's your imagination fill in the gaps. You can almost see how much he edited the manuscript like an architect purposely effacing something already built in order to make it more functional for the people living in it.

It's crazy to think that a white guy, an American in the late 50's early 60's no less, had such an understanding of Islam and Arabic culture and history that he was able to incorporate it so seamlessly into an esoteric world such as this. Brings up a lot of interesting social and political implications via a vis the West's current relationship to the East and it's thought and philosophy and social structure but that's a post for another day.

Would recommend.
Now you need to read the rest of the series. The first book is just the setup for what comes later.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Anyone interested in seeing Blink tomorrow? I got tickets for the wife and I when they went on sale, then the wife decided to invite a friend and their family to stay with us tomorrow night.
If I wasn’t already going, yes.

Tell your friend and their family that you and your wife will be back after the concert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad